BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard that Harley doesn't only sell motorcycles but also sells the experience. Is this true?
I know someone who owns a Harley said that owning a Harley is a lifestyle, it's not like owning other motorcycles.
I'm owning a Harley motorcycle helmet which is really good, but I haven't owned or had a chance to ride a Harley. I don't have a Harley, so I don't know how this is true.
Why owning a Harley is so different? I think owning a sportbike is also an experience.
Does it also mean that other sportbike riders are not considered as a lifestyle?
Most Japanese companies put motorcycle experience come first, so people usually say that they sell an experience. I think it is true because anyway, riding motorcycles is an experience

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,278 Posts
Looking at your bike being loaded on a tow truck every second trip is certainly "an experience."

"Harley sells an experience" is what people say to justify the $30,000 tractor they bought; after all, there are no other upsides. Personally, I'd have opted for a John Deere, but to each his own.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
hard to sell the same thing, to essentially the same people, every damn year.

but at some point its the snob in us.. i dont mind cruisers, some Harley's are
nice.. they carry a hefty price tag, some of it is the name or its reputation at
said coveted 'lifestyle' but thats entirely up to you should you jump into that
bandwagon.

live and let ride.. aftermarket is not as cheap as with sport bikes but then
shiny metal often isnt, in comparison to plastic that is ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
It's true live and let ride. But the snob in me dislikes cruisers of all makes due to their lack of performance vs a sportbike. I honestly just can't wrap my head around riding one vs say my fz1. I can cruise, it's pretty comfy but it also has blistering acceleration, braking and handles superbly. But it does lack chrome!

Truth be told though when I was in panic mode due to my busted rad and envisioning the riding season slipping away I was looking around at all things two wheeled, even cruisers.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
sounds like you've had little exposure to big v-twin engines.. rather simply there is no
comparison to brute ft.lbs, acceleration than on a big v-twin. In fact very few inline 4s
stand a chance at keeping up off the line, for most who like to cover a lot of miles its
also more of living in the pocket (at highway speeds) and plenty of muscle to shoot
you forward whenever the fancy desires. Just dont expect 200kph + speeds.

you're probably lumping 'em all 'cruisers' into one category simply because harley
makes v-twins. Harley for the most part even until recent past never made a large
'cubic inch' displacement engines, and they're not exactly built for performance really.

This is where yamaha is a major departure so obviously my own opinion is a little biased.

I ride a Yamaha 1854cc beastie, it does just fine on performance, its a power chopper
and handles a lot better than most. I'm perfectly happy with it, not selling.

but then of course comparing 'em straight across to a sport-bike is fools game.

have fun being a snob.. not that there's anything wrong with that (pc required statement) :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
I knew if I cast my net to include all cruisers I'd manage to catch atleast one on this sportbike forum.

All I can say is 'off the line'. Snicker snicker, oh but that first corner will come up fast won't it?

I just like bugging, my dad rides a electraglide still to this day, And I literally grew up on the front tank of Harley's. It was a dark day in my childhood when I was deemed to old to ride in front and was demoted to a rear pillow passenger as my dad never cared for the look of a passenger seat. I grew up knowing Japanese bikes as 'jap crap'. And it's funny is all I've ever wanted was a sportbike.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
doesnt really matter, we're used to random bullshit posts. again, bike handles just fine.
absolutely nothing wrong with that 1st corner nor the other 100. Point is, i also ride
a sport-bike. But yes, thanks to the local snob attitude, I expected something horrible
when I 1st purchased it, 5 seasons later, could not have been more wrong.

considering your post followed one from a cruiser rider, what were you saying
about that net? I would rather move the sport forward rather than piss on others.

unless you ride a 250.. those arent real bikes.. lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes yes you own a sport bike and a cruiser and are basically the ultimate authority on everything you comment on.............atleast in your own eyes.

You've done, you had, you have, you know someone. You know what they say about opinions right? Only thing is I know mine is just that..,,my opinion. But of course it's wrong if it isn't aligned with your opinion.

Only thing I'm really wondering about is when you say 'we' if you are actually referring to yourself in the third person? Or is there like a team of people who work on your witty passive aggressive posts?

·
Registered
18,870 Posts
It's an experience if you reside in the USA. At least, that is what they are trying to sell. That means nothing to Canadians.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Every company does what it can to sell their product, no
manatee what it is. H.D. Certainly cannot claim a performance capability advantage in any way. It’s saviours in 1983 wisely linked American pride of citizenship to its bikes’ ownership, a genius marketing example, clearly the company’s greatest tour-d-force. Canadian owners of H.D. Is laughable by this strategy, embarrassing actually. But, I’ve always said, any motorcycle rider on anything is better than a cage operator. Personally, I choose to own bikes that are designed by function goals, and visual aspect follows, rather than a bike designed specifically as a visual statement, with ability not a concern. H.D. And most any other cruiser type machines ultimately suffer in capability to the visual design.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Buying a Hardley is like buying a membership to a very exclusive club. It's a prestige symbol. Harley folk are groupies. They love the comradeship and the "bad boy" image.

It doesn't matter if the machines are mechanically flawed. It's all about image.

I like to give them a hard time in print but anything on 2 wheels is a thumbs up from me. Would I ever buy one? Hell no!!!!!

I got a little bit interested in that big Indian scrambler though I'm not a vtwin fan. Would I spend 19K on one? Unlikely. It is something unique.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Buying a Hardley is like buying a membership to a very exclusive club. It's a prestige symbol. Harley folk are groupies. They love the comradeship and the "bad boy" image.

It doesn't matter if the machines are mechanically flawed. It's all about image.

I like to give them a hard time in print but anything on 2 wheels is a thumbs up from me. Would I ever buy one? Hell no!!!!!

I got a little bit interested in that big Indian scrambler though I'm not a vtwin fan. Would I spend 19K on one? Unlikely. It is something unique.

I
Had high hopes for the FTR 1200, but IMO it fails at its job to replicate a flat tracker. The tail piece is the huge fail and the exhaust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts