1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
slower than ...
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share this note from a friend in San Francisco who rides an Aprilia
Enjoy

"I raced a guy on a harley yesterday

"Yesterday I raced a Harley and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of highway 9 (just past Alice's) with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

"I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

"I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

"Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

"My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.

"Three more miles to go before the road straightens out at Boulder Creek and he would pass me for good.

"But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

"Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of one of the best Italian bikes on the road!

"I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Tommasini, as well -- they really make a great bicycle..."

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
What displacement was the Aprilia?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
A bike made by CCM could do the same! :laughing

·
slower than ...
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SpideRider said:
What displacement was the Aprilia?
Jason
His Tommasini is a two-pedal bicycle
His Aprilia is the 1000 Falco

On a similar note, I have been passed by a bicycle going down a very steep twisty road in Marin. There were lots of hidden driveways and gravel. I prefer speeding in more remote areas.

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
'kinell, I nearly choked on my noodles. Great lunchtime read:thumbup

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
This is a classic!!

Harley riders.....breaking every rule of the road except the speed limit.

·
(newbie)
333 Posts
guy sounds like an ass.....I know if i was crusin some twisties minding my own business and some fag pulls up beside me trying to pass and race when im just going my own pase id be choked

·
???????
908 Posts
I've thought that a few times coming down Seymour "You suck, you'd be faster on a Mountain bike!", but I suck on a Mountain bike as well so......

·
Lightly seasoned...
176 Posts
I could so see this happening... used to regularly ride down the pass into port alberni (the hump) whipping passed traffic and got pulled over 2x on a mountain bike for 'recklessly' passing on the right and speeding in construction zone (got clocked doing 78km/h in a 50 zone on radar :D), yes you can get a speeding ticket on a bicycle... it just takes effort.

Only problem with going that fast on bicycle with cheapo caliper brakes is you can't really brake till you've glided down below 65km/h, else its bail time.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
"The Skyline" AKA Hwy 9 south of San Fran is an awesome stretch of pavement.

·
slower than ...
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tattoodles said:
"The Skyline" AKA Hwy 9 south of San Fran is an awesome stretch of pavement.
HWY9, like the S2S, fine engineering with proximity to a large city means many poo poo, tons of bikes - all kinds (read slow) including bicycles, and hidden driveways with large lurching SUV's (read heart attack). Go north for an hour and ride the network of roads linking HWY1 and HWY101. Days of fun and a shock if you see much more than one other vehicle an hour.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Some of those connectors between Hwy 1 and Hwy 101 are pretty insane - like 50 miles of second gear corkscrews insane.

Hwy 128 is probably one of the sweetest roads I've ever sampled and unlike some of the other backroads up there, it won't give you motion sickness.

·
Learning the hard way.
1,334 Posts
Mechanic said:
I nearly choked on my noodles.
:roflmao Hahahahaha I laughed after reading the original post and laughed even harder when I read that you nearly choked on your noodles.

c.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
5thgear said:
It just goes to show how humanity is, the fewer the words to make your point the better.
So THAT's what I'm doing wrong with most of my posts.... :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts