BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the more of these forums i read about whether it is rider or bike protection everybody has something to say about they're accident.

I have just purchased my first sport bike. Acorrdingly it seems that i will soon beable to tell a story of how my leathers burnt down to nothing or how my sliders exploded on impact.

Can i ride to the limit without having a story to tell?

·
Registered
978 Posts
sure you can ride to YOUR limit and not have a story to tell...take a riding course which will greatly increase your chance of staying alive

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
needgsxr said:
It seems the more of these forums i read about whether it is rider or bike protection everybody has something to say about they're accident.

I have just purchased my first sport bike. Acorrdingly it seems that i will soon beable to tell a story of how my leathers burnt down to nothing or how my sliders exploded on impact.

2nd season of riding without a crash.....that being said, I dont push myself to the limit, which isn't even close to the bikes limit anyway. The more a person rides, usually the more a person want to test there bike, and themselves limits, which is a recipe for a crash. ride at your own pace, learn from experienced riders (perferebly instuctors, or a least riders that have not lost count of how many crashes they have had). most people on here have had at least 1 crash, but there are many who have ridden for years with none....

...and keep the knee dragging for the track!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what's wrong with having death defying stories to tell? everyone always gets a kick out of me tellin them how i lost an inch of height.

·
I Came,I Saw,I Conquered
587 Posts
Yeah my first was an expected chuck at 160km/hr coming out of a corner... long story short, bike got written off, I bruised my ankle badly.

You don't always have to be riding at your limit to get in an accident. I was doing 10-15 mph over the speed limit down south just going with the flow through a easy right and then a gradual left. As soon as I banked it over to the left the bike washed out... No warning what so ever, just one minute I'm on the bike, the next I'm getting poked in the neck from the ambulance attendants sisscors cutting my leathers off. I didn't come out as lucky on this accident.

Shit can happen when you least expect it. So wear your gear and ride well with in your limits and if all else fails... Always prepare yourself for the worst case situation.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
One sentence said it all. If you ride at your limit, you will cross that limit every now and then and you will crash. It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when. There's usually consequences for you and the bike. Think aobut that.

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
25 plus years of street riding and I've never crashed or been taken out. Now on the race track I've crashed twice in 10 years. But the dirt? Well I can't count that high......thousands would be about right.

As ssblade said having a few tales of pain and woe never hurts. Bonus points for missing body parts and flaming crashes. All good fun and I love doing it. Why would you not?

·
Reid
307 Posts
all of the above

take it to the track,

because your buddy doesn't want to tell your story to all your friends and family in a building with a cross on it

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
needgsxr said:
...Can i ride to the limit without having a story to tell?
If you ride even to YOUR limit then there will be a story to tell eventually. With luck it'll be told by you while you're off work during your convelesance. If you're not lucky it'll be told by someone else and we'll all be doing the "usual" reply.

Anyone that does not ride on the street with a healthy reserve in hand is nutz. It may take a while but eventually some unforseen circumstance WILL take place and you'll be past your limit in a blink and then the outcome is in the hands of Fate. With luck it'll just be the bike that pays the price. But as we've seen far too often over the past couple of years often it's not just the bike.

The best way to learn the limits is to bring your bod and bike to something like an ART course or just come out and ride with the guys at Boundry Bay this summer. You may or may not dump it at these venues. If you're sensitive to what the bike is telling you and learn the skills for riding smoothly you'll be able to approach and sense your limit without dumping it. Once you know where the limit is then you can start learning how to raise that limit by riding more smoothly, when to blend the braking to acceleration and a ton of other small things that all add up to being fast, competent and safe.

Then, when you go back out onto the street, you should never use more than about 60% of what you learned. The idea is to keep yourself and the bike safe by holding that 40% in reserve for when that unforeseen thing happens.

I find that the realities of the street hold me back pretty much to how I've ridden over the years with only a little playtime now and then when all the conditions are right. However my 4 years of track time has raised my limit and taught me just how far I can push the bike when the fecal matter hits the fan out on the road. I used to think I was riding around with maybe 20% in reserve. These days I know that the bike and I have more like 50% in reserve. But it's amazing just how that 50% is appreciated when someone tries to kill you. I've had to dip deeply into the reserve now and then and I was truly glad I had it. Mind you these days even the 50% I use is still faster than the "80%" I used to use.

Learn your limits where Kenworths and big dualy pickups with shotgun racks in the rear window are not allowed. Take it to the track. It's fun and a LOT safer than doing it on the open road. Not only that but you get to try things in the same corner a lot more times per session rather than maybe twice during an all afternoon ride like out on the open road.

Don't get me wrong, the sceneray around most tracks gets a bit repetitive even at the best of them. So for that reason I still like riding both locally and to tour. But I save my fun and learning the limits for as safe a place as I can find so I can concentrate on the riding rather than survival.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
I haven't owned a bike I didn't crash, hence the name :rockon

·
Registered
978 Posts
needgsxr said:
How many times have you been down JB?
twice, both on dirt....the worst of the 2 was driving my neighbors 250 2-stroke dirtbike(mean soab) up at andeson lake doin about 40km/hr at dusk didnt see a sharp turn barely made it then went across a bridge where there was just 2 planks of wood going straight for cars and inbetween just big tree trunks going perpendicular to me and i started to bounce up n down then caught the side of the tire on the other plank and flew off the side whiplashin my head into the dirt pile on the side of the road....not somthing i want to experience again so i always wear my protective gear and a good quality helmut(that should be everyones #1 priority)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
needgsxr said:
The trouble with telling yourself that you won't ride past your limit is, how do you know what that is? The "limits" are constantly changing for every given patch of road you'll ever encounter. And like TeeTee said, in the blink of an eye, it could go from MST parking lot level difficulty to something that even Rossi might not be able to ride out of.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
CrotchRocketeer said:
It's not a matter of if but when. You will go down at some point.

+1 I always heard there are 2 types of riders...

1. Those that have gone down.

2. Those that are going down.

·
1,768 Posts
CrashTested said:
+1 I always heard there are 2 types of riders...

1. Those that have gone down.

2. Those that are going down.
Not true. Not everyone crashes on the street. I like what Bruce said:

"Anyone that does not ride on the street with a healthy reserve in hand is nutz".

I know a lot of riders who have been riding for many years (40+) and have not crashed on the street. Pick your places and ride smarter. If you feel like pushing it, take it to the track of one of 5th Gear's Boundary Bay play days.

;D

·
Registered
458 Posts
21 years of riding on the street and only one minor accident. Hit gravel mid corner and did not have enough experience to know what to do. that was my 2 season. I have not crashed since.

canuck

1 - 20 of 39 Posts