BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hello Moto
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought my first bike, 95 kawi zx6r, it made the 40k trip to my house fine. rode it a bit more when i got it home everything working fine. after work today I start it up but it wont shift into neutral tried everything i could think of there isnt much else to try( i dont think). the reason i ask is as i was parking it for the night in my underground parking my buildings resident drunk 17 year old crew came down(they have proved they have no respect for others things in the past) "oh wow a bike let me sit on it" - "not a chance, you dont have the cash if anything happened...."
then comes today no green neutral light for me.
am i over looking something?
 

·
Ridin hard n dirty
Joined
·
4,080 Posts
could be someone was jumping on the shifter and possibly bent a shift fork...can't get neutral even with the engine off???and rocking the bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
did you try putting it in neutral while rolling? If you can't do that, something is fucked for sure.
 

·
Hello Moto
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the engine off i hold in the clutch and shift all the way up but i think thats only first gear. ill try rolling it and see if that works.
when the engine is on i shift up and it wont go any more and no neutral light comes on?
ill update on trying it while rolling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,432 Posts
Roll it around. Bike transmissions aren't like car ones, you have to have things in the right spot to hit neutral.

Usually only a half a foot or so back should do. Hitting neutral can take some practice till you get the hang of it. Some bikes are worse than others.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Yea
+ rolling it. Once, and I dunno only once, I could never find it, I rolled around a bit in gear, and i found it right away afterwards
 

·
Hello Moto
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr.Sushi ya ha said:
could be someone was jumping on the shifter and possibly bent a shift fork...can't get neutral even with the engine off???and rocking the bike
yea i thought they might have tried to "kickstart" the bike thinking they could start it, im going to try rolling it in the morning.
thanks for the suggestions.
 

·
I like traffic cones :S
Joined
·
15,773 Posts
Vansterdam said:
yea i thought they might have tried to "kickstart" the bike thinking they could start it, im going to try rolling it in the morning.
thanks for the suggestions.
:eek
If it is what happened, catch the little fucks and kickstart stupid out of them.
 

·
Go big or go home
Joined
·
271 Posts
Vansterdam said:
with the engine off i hold in the clutch and shift all the way up but i think thats only first gear. ill try rolling it and see if that works.
when the engine is on i shift up and it wont go any more and no neutral light comes on?
ill update on trying it while rolling.
Are you moving the shift lever up??? If you are,your going the wrong way.Try starting the bike.With the engine running clutch in,tap DOWN till the shift lever feels like first gear.The lever will feel low,then rise a bit which is 1st gear.
1 N 2 3 4 5 6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Roll/ride it with the power very slowly ... dont kick it all the way up, that will put you into second. Do it gently half way.
 

·
Hello Moto
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kevin said:
Are you moving the shift lever up??? If you are,your going the wrong way.Try starting the bike.With the engine running clutch in,tap DOWN till the shift lever feels like first gear.The lever will feel low,then rise a bit which is 1st gear.
1 N 2 3 4 5 6.
yea thats what i was doing, my buddy said go all the way down first then up really slow and just play around until it goes in. but no luck

people are always dropping by to pick up weed from them so its just a matter of time until one of them actually steals the bike anyway.
 

·
Go big or go home
Joined
·
271 Posts
Vansterdam said:
yea thats what i was doing, my buddy said go all the way down first then up really slow and just play around until it goes in. but no luck

people are always dropping by to pick up weed from them so its just a matter of time until one of them actually steals the bike anyway.
Your buddy is correct.Did you let the clutch out at that point?Did it stall?
Also,you could have a wiring problem.Bulb out or the neutral switch unplugged?Try taking the bike for a rip and see how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,614 Posts
I'd find a new home for your bike. When I lived in similarly sketchy surroundings, I was fortunate enough to have some friends who let me keep my bike at their homes. Thankfully, they just lived 10 minutes away, so when I wanted to ride, it wasn't a huge deal to go get it.
Either do this, or hunt down the shitrats and get 'em arrested.
 

·
Hello Moto
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well rolling the bike got it into neutral finally, but when i was leaving for work today someone had tried to roll it out of the barricade i set up using my car and the neighbours cars boxing it against the wall. any suggestions for locks/ alarms?
i searched and found some of the more expensive ones with tilt sensors, what do you guys use?
 

·
Formerly kanelupis
Joined
·
5,252 Posts
I suggest a two way alarm system if your bike isn't stored in a concrete walled underground parking.

That way, when someone's fucking with your bike - you'll get it instantly on your pager. The next step is to get out in your pjs with a metal baseball bat and scramble out into the partking lot. (or call cops if you're less brave)


Try Scorpio i500. It works really nicely on my own bike. The sensors are nicely sensitive. Dual axis accelerometer. It's also got some other cool features, including an alarm trigger history.
 

·
Hello Moto
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kanelupis said:
I suggest a two way alarm system if your bike isn't stored in a concrete walled underground parking.

That way, when someone's fucking with your bike - you'll get it instantly on your pager. The next step is to get out in your pjs with a metal baseball bat and scramble out into the partking lot. (or call cops if you're less brave)


Try Scorpio i500. It works really nicely on my own bike. The sensors are nicely sensitive. Dual axis accelerometer. It's also got some other cool features, including an alarm trigger history.
my underground is all solid concrete, and im up on the 3rd floor so getting the signal to the pager might not work. im looking for a new place but until then im going to chain it to a concrete pillar down here.
any suggestions for disc brake locks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Vansterdam said:
my underground is all solid concrete, and im up on the 3rd floor so getting the signal to the pager might not work. im looking for a new place but until then im going to chain it to a concrete pillar down here.
any suggestions for disc brake locks?
all you can really do is disc lock and chain. If a thief really wants it he will get it no matter what.

There are also those boltdown things, but they tend to be 'muy expensivo'!
 

·
banned user
Joined
·
6,255 Posts
hahaha wow man, by the sounds of it your bike should be gone in about 2 weeks. Do a search on the site for 'bike brace'. I think I saw a couple for sale in the for sale section as well by 'carson'.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top