BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Addicted to two wheels
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has been to the Isle of Mann for a TT? I've heard about bikes going through horses at 280+, black Sunday with all the crashes and sidecars flying into houses but how do you get there????? Next year is the 100th year of the TT and EVERYTHING is booked....Hotels, Ferries, you name it.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
You should find lots of useful info about transportation and accommodations on the official web site: www.iomtt.com (accommodations are posted on the message board).

I've never been, but my uncle went every year when he was growing up in Ireland. He never raced the TT, but wrenched for friends who did.

I've got every TT since '97 on tape or DVD, and to me, it's the ultimate motorcycle racing event, and my goal is to race there one day. There's the TT for pro racers in May-June, but there's also the Manx Grand Prix for amateur racers in late August-early September. I hope to do the Manx within the next few years, provided I can secure the required funds and gain the necessary race experience to qualify. Even if I ever had the skill to be a successful AMA, WSB or MotoGP racer (which I highly doubt:laughing ), my window of opportunity would have closed on those dreams years ago. Racing at the Isle of Man is still something I have a realistic shot at doing, as Canadian Mark Gardiner proved when he did the TT at age 47 in 2002 (as documented in the film, One Man's Island).

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am going to watch live in person i am soo excited.
I put my self on the waiting list and i am going!!! Wheee! I fly out May 23rd. Got the Ferry booked the campsite the whole thing. I can't wait. I am staying in the UK for about 5 weeks. I already have a bike reserved for the weeks i am there.
:flashy

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
Lucky lucky. Definitely my favorite race out of any of them and I hope to give it a try one day. You in Mel?
Absolutely, Rob. Like I said, I've got to dust off my skills, get back on the track and rack up some race miles again, etc., but it's definitely a must-do for me. Let's keep in touch about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a racer at the TT you get to do all the things that would get you locked up anywhere else.
Flat out in top gear through villages and there's terrifiying humps in the road where the front wheel just goes flying. Somehow these humps don't appear at normal traffic speeds when the road's open. There used to be a part where top gear could be held for 6 miles.
I got around at 111 mph and change in 1988 on an FZR 1000. The lap record back then was 116 or so, set on a works Honda. I'd really like to do it again on an R1, I'd also like to be 20 years younger and not have had 13 broken bones.
It's a huge course to learn. You need to be there weeks in advance, just riding around on the road to gain circuit knowledge. Forgetting where a bump, a shady damp area or manhole cover is can be fatal. It takes 4 years to start going fast. Two to know where you're going and two to put it together. Take a 600 and aim for a 110 mph lap on the first visit.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Absolutely, Rob. Like I said, I've got to dust off my skills, get back on the track and rack up some race miles again, etc., but it's definitely a must-do for me. Let's keep in touch about it.

If you can behave yourself I don't mind sending you out on the mighty TL for a few sessions next year. Just let me know.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
As a racer at the TT you get to do all the things that would get you locked up anywhere else.
Flat out in top gear through villages and there's terrifiying humps in the road where the front wheel just goes flying. Somehow these humps don't appear at normal traffic speeds when the road's open. There used to be a part where top gear could be held for 6 miles.
I got around at 111 mph and change in 1988 on an FZR 1000. The lap record back then was 116 or so, set on a works Honda. I'd really like to do it again on an R1, I'd also like to be 20 years younger and not have had 13 broken bones.
It's a huge course to learn. You need to be there weeks in advance, just riding around on the road to gain circuit knowledge. Forgetting where a bump, a shady damp area or manhole cover is can be fatal. It takes 4 years to start going fast. Two to know where you're going and two to put it together. Take a 600 and aim for a 110 mph lap on the first visit.
That sounds like a very respectable speed. How many times did you race there?

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
Sir, you have my respect. Thank you for the good information and advice (and for not trying to dissuade us...). We must meet and chat sometime. Tonight I just re-read a great Cycle World article from 1987, about associate editor Steven Thompson's achievement of a 101 mph lap in the Production TT that year. At the time, Joey Dunlop won with an average of 118 mph, a speed now almost attained by the winner of the latest Manx GP Newcomer race, while this year John McGuinness re-set the outright lap record at 129 mph -- unbelieveable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
111 mph doesn't sound like much these days, but the FZR 1000 had a top speed of 158 mph. A good R1 will do what- 170 out of the box? Lighter too.
I went to the Manx GP for two years.
The first year 1985, Carl Fogarty was there, also as a newcomer. The press reports went something like "The hotly tipped Carl Fogarty had to be content with second place in this afternoons 250 practise session as Signpost went round in blah, blah" (can't quite remember the speed) There's no prizes for fast laps in practise, as Mr Fogarty fcuked off in the race through the fog and crap over the mountain. I took it somewhat easy and finished a minute back. Hated the rain on the TT.
Next year was on a FZ750 at 105 mph 5th place in the senior Manx.
'87 TT was a washout and 88 was the last year. 19th in the Senior TT. I can't find anything to replace the thrill. Two hours of nothing but maximum speed on public roads
I remeber getting pissed after the race in the beer tent and recounting the near misses, wobbles and slides. I used Avon street tires, probably the first man home on street tires. Passing Ian Lougher and Phil Read Jr on the outside of the 33rd milestone. On an FZR 1000 rebuilt from a wreck.
Todays 129 mph laps are made with 200 odd horsepower and better roads. Still just as difficult.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,226 Posts
111 mph doesn't sound like much these days, but the FZR 1000 had a top speed of 158 mph. A good R1 will do what- 170 out of the box? Lighter too.
I went to the Manx GP for two years.
The first year 1985, Carl Fogarty was there, also as a newcomer. The press reports went something like "The hotly tipped Carl Fogarty had to be content with second place in this afternoons 250 practise session as Signpost went round in blah, blah" (can't quite remember the speed) There's no prizes for fast laps in practise, as Mr Fogarty fcuked off in the race through the fog and crap over the mountain. I took it somewhat easy and finished a minute back. Hated the rain on the TT.
Next year was on a FZ750 at 105 mph 5th place in the senior Manx.
'87 TT was a washout and 88 was the last year. 19th in the Senior TT. I can't find anything to replace the thrill. Two hours of nothing but maximum speed on public roads
I remeber getting pissed after the race in the beer tent and recounting the near misses, wobbles and slides. I used Avon street tires, probably the first man home on street tires. Passing Ian Lougher and Phil Read Jr on the outside of the 33rd milestone. On an FZR 1000 rebuilt from a wreck.
Todays 129 mph laps are made with 200 odd horsepower and better roads. Still just as difficult.

Not only do you have my respect, you could very well be my hero, next to my Father of course! You have the balls of an elephant, or you are just plain nuts. People say I'm brave because I race on a closed track. You guys REALLY road race :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
Passing Ian Lougher and Phil Read Jr on the outside of the 33rd milestone...
Anyone who has passed Ian Lougher anywhere, on any track, has my respect. In practice for the 2005 TT, Guy Martin said Lougher had passed him so quickly out on the course that Lougher's bike was "sucking rabbits out of the hedges."

·
Fixer
1,610 Posts
never get tired of memories our sidetrip to IOM on our honeymoon to England in 1998. the museum is worth the trip alone. i didn't get a chance to use a bike but i put our rental car in the kitty litter at creg ny baa in the fog. what a hoot. drove the course both ways, and you haven't seen anything til a group of bikes passes you on the way to ramsey at about a buck fifty when your rental car is straining to do ninety. everyone that appreciates bike/biking/racing should go to the IOM at least once.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
everyone that appreciates bike/biking/racing should go to the IOM at least once.
Absolutely. I used to think that just visiting it would be enough, but then I got this crazy notion that I wanted to race there, which has since become a promise to myself.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
I had the pleasure of talking to Signpost on the phone today, and after our conversation I'm even more keen to do the IOM. So much for talking me out of it, eh?;)

We'll have to get together with Rob soon, over a few pints of Guinness, and talk some more about it.
:drinkbeer

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
Signpost, you have a new avatar, I see, which appears to be a nice shot of you out on the Mountain Course on your FZR1000, yes? Now we just have to figure out what section... I'll say either it's taken at the Creg, Signpost or the Nook... any of those right, Gary?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you have the chance to run the mountain course do it, one of the must do things on two wheels . 111 in /88 on a fzr is pretty dam good on a bike that is what it is . i would love to do the TT just to do laps , it's all about whats inside .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts