Votes: 142 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 24.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Do you mean ever had it adjusted, period? Or ever adjusted it yourself?

Yes on both.

Why would you not adjust it? (I mean if it has slack)

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Of course I have.

In chapter 8 of the "Mr. T's Handbook on Chains", it clearly states that one should always adjust the chain because he "pitys da' fool who doesn't have his gold medallion centered one inch below the sternum. PITY DA FOO'!"

*sheesh!* What a crazy question. You're a crazy guy Mark. Crazy crazy guy. :)

B

·
0 Posts
who doesn't adjust their chain? that's like putting gas in your tank, basic maintenance. sheesh!

D

·
0 Posts
is this bet with the same guy that doesn't oil his chain?

chains stretch, hence needing adjustment. chains stretch faster when they are not oiled.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
"Why does my bike make this weird grinding, scraping noise whenever it's moving?"
:D

·
Track Day Wh0re
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be.
But i dont get how chain lube would slow the stretching of a chain?

Aren't todays X-ring/O-ring chains lubed internally? I agree that chains need cleaning but...?

doug said:
is this bet with the same guy that doesn't oil his chain?

chains stretch, hence needing adjustment. chains stretch faster when they are not oiled.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
eg_hybrid said:
It could be.
But i dont get how chain lube would slow the stretching of a chain?

Aren't todays X-ring/O-ring chains lubed internally? I agree that chains need cleaning but...?

.... and the answer is that if the O ring to side plate seals get too dry or get some grit into them then the rubber tears and lets water in and grease out. And pretty soon you have a mess... A jammed up tight mess that eats away at your sprockets and power.

Oil or grease, it doesn't matter but oil flings off easier so it needs to be applied more often. Some guys never use anything other than WD40 on their chains. Believe it or not this is fine as long as it's applied often so that there is always a little bit of the residual oil left in the little seal joints. But if you go this route you'll find you need to relube pretty much every day or even twice on a longer trip. The greasy stuff just stays put longer.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
never heard of the above but there is the Scottoiler....automatic chain lube....I dunno how it works...

·
518 Posts
A chain will stretch most when new, then over the rest of it's life it'll strech a little, then it willl just be toast......and so will the sprockets....

Allways replace your sprockets and chain at the same time.... :D

A

·
0 Posts
chain adjustment?

Yes I have adjusted it,just don`t agree with the mickey mouse Suzuki chain adjuster,so I replaced it with an Intuitive one:) :) :) :) ....................ken.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why is my chain hitting the swing arm?

I adjusted the chain when I had my bike whenever it had too much slack. Good idea too check the chain everytime you head for a ride

B

·
0 Posts
all i have to say is who has voted for "no" ?!?
how can you ride without adjusting it? am i missing something?:confused

·
Track Day Wh0re
505 Posts
Thx TeeTee, very informative.
But, how does it slow the process of a chain stretching?

TeeTee said:

.... and the answer is that if the O ring to side plate seals get too dry or get some grit into them then the rubber tears and lets water in and grease out. And pretty soon you have a mess... A jammed up tight mess that eats away at your sprockets and power.

Oil or grease, it doesn't matter but oil flings off easier so it needs to be applied more often. Some guys never use anything other than WD40 on their chains. Believe it or not this is fine as long as it's applied often so that there is always a little bit of the residual oil left in the little seal joints. But if you go this route you'll find you need to relube pretty much every day or even twice on a longer trip. The greasy stuff just stays put longer.

R

·
0 Posts
Do shafts or belt drives get special dispensation?
Riders who can't or don't adjust chains either have no mechanical apreciation or way too much money.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts