BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know I deserve this for renting a scooter ... but please learn from the mistake my wife and I made this week in Hawaii. We arrived in Honolulu on Friday and because we didn't want to fork out hundreds on renting motorcycles but we wanted the freedom and fun of two wheels ... we rented scooters from Adventure Rentals in Waikiki.

We rode them around for a while with no helmets and no gear and that was liberating ... no leathers ... no helmet ... but skills enough and slow enough to be relatively carefree around Waikiki / Diamond Head.

The next day we returned them right on time with the tanks full as per our contract. Unfortunately upon return ... a different guy from the one we rented them from accused us of wrecking the forks (on my scooter). He said that because his two fingers should fit between the front tire and the wheel well and they "felt tight" it was clear that I had ruined the forks.

As I tried to hold back my rising anger ... I asked him if his fingers constituted a universal measurement device. He told me that there was nothing he could do and that we would likely have to pay 249.00 US for new forks and 120.00 labor. I just about punched him out on the spot I was so angry. They had no mention on our contract or the safety speech and they had no device that measured the distance.

It gets worse ... because the guy who rented them to us was "in Maui and unavailable until next Thursday". yeah right. It amazed me that even though the contract said nothing about forks ... he didn't mention the forks when we rented them ... and we rode the scooters a total of about 20 km on flat pavement that this was happening. It was like a bad dream. :banghead

So what did I do about aside from bitch to ya'll?

A) I called the Hawaii board of tourism and complained
B) I called the BBB in Hawaii and lodged a complaint against them
C) I called American Express and asked them to launch an investigation if they charge me (which they haven't yet upon my telling them I would take them to court and Amex doesn't stop payments before they happen .. they investigate after)
D) I called the head of the rental company and explained the situation to him (he told me to chill untiul next week ... when I will of course be 4000 miles away)

Anyway ... this has been a really aggravating blip on our trip. Aside from that we are having a great time and I have seen some awesome rides here. Everyone has their Gixxers and R1s with mods and blue iridium windshields. There are lots of bike clubs here too ... I highly recommend riding here if you ever get the chance.

So if you ever want to rent a scooter anywhere ... make sure you take digital photos of the scooter before you take it out ... and ask them if they have a way of measuring "damage" when it is returned. Please don't make the possibly 400 USD mistake that I did.

If they end up charging us ... we could have rented real bikes instead. Ouch.

Peace all,

Phil.

·
Been riding since 1985
1,609 Posts
That's a big scam.
Don't you have to crash into something before you can damage the folks?
And there's no damage to the bike right?
No flat tire, no bent front wheel.
Just because his 2 fingers fit, doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
sounds like a case for the "Hawaii 5-0" hahahah!!!

sorry about your bad-luck, bro. :(

it's hard for us to feel sympathy when you're bitching at us from the islands! :flip

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Typically, most people there seemed friendly and pretty laid back (I just got back from Waikiki/Honolulu today) and not really out to make a quick buck.

Just curious, Adventure Rentals isn't the place that also rents out exotic cars is it? (black Modena, red Viper, maroon convertible 911, red 355 etc)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dalton said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Typically, most people there seemed friendly and pretty laid back (I just got back from Waikiki/Honolulu today) and not really out to make a quick buck.

Just curious, Adventure Rentals isn't the place that also rents out exotic cars is it? (black Modena, red Viper, maroon convertible 911, red 355 etc)
Yeah we come here every year and love it ... no worries we will be back. I love Hawaii. I don't think it is the same place ... maybe if there is a larger branch somewhere else. The place I rented from was stuck between two buildings and wasn't too "official" looking (your typical Hawaii scooter rental place).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
philtag6000 said:
That's a big scam.
Don't you have to crash into something before you can damage the folks?
And there's not damage to the bike right?
No flat tire, no bent front wheel.
Just because his 2 fingers fit, doesn't mean anything.
Excellent points that I tried to articulate to them. They didn't care.

And to answer your question ... it was in perfect shape when I returned it. I even took photos after the fact with my digital camera. You have to hit or jump off a curb or take it offroad to bend the forks. It was just total BS on their part. I think their plan was to charge me for the forks and keep the 400 bucks. Who would ever know the difference? :rolleyes

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,398 Posts
That total BS , they're just trying to make a quick buck

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was recently in Maui. I was surprised to see the Vancouver Sun and Province papers being sold there. Apparently there are lots of BCers in Maui. You may want to send this info to these papers and save others from going through your bad experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts