BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
frosty read the last two
(c) in the case of a device that includes an earpiece, the earpiece is worn only in one ear.

(2) Subsection (1) (c) does not apply to a person who is driving or operating a motorcycle on a highway.
Global positioning system

Ergo you can use headset on a bike as a single does not apply to a bike . don't read only what you want read the whole thing if you miss part then it is easy to be interpreted how ever you like
I was referring to that, hence why I said section 7 (2). I'm just telling you exactly what an RCMP officer told me.

·
Just A Bueller
666 Posts
i hear what your sayin . i am waiting to see if i can get any definitive information on this as it is directly a concern of mine and close friends . i will post up as soon as i have better info ( shortly i hope)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
backslider
11,214 Posts
all the yakk and rules about headphones ... when those fart-can equipped cager boneheads drive around with their boom-boxes pumping out 135 decibel sound (they can't hear a fucking thing going on outside the car)

·
Green
2,290 Posts
Could ICBC then refuse to cover you if you get into an accident and were wearing headphones? That would be my greatest concern.

Personally, I'll stick to earplugs just to be safe.
Not to pick on you specifically, as it has come up in other threads, but why do people think ICBC will "refuse" coverage for such petty shit. You could be doing 200 down hwy 1 while drunk, on the back tire with headphones in and ICBC will likely cover you. That's the one positive to ICBC

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
Not to pick on you specifically, as it has come up in other threads, but why do people think ICBC will "refuse" coverage for such petty shit. You could be doing 200 down hwy 1 while drunk, on the back tire with headphones in and ICBC will likely cover you. That's the one positive to ICBC
Huh???? I'm sorry but having dealt with ICBC on weird cases, I would say this is the complete opposite. They will look for any loophole to not cover you.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
Huh???? I'm sorry but having dealt with ICBC on weird cases, I would say this is the complete opposite. They will look for any loophole to not cover you.
Not to cover you? or to asses blame?

I am about to open myself up to some MAJOR flaming but here goes. I had a situation when I was 19. I was impaired (less than .08) speeding (impound-able), driving a car that was not insured for me to be driving. ICBC covered the car no questions asked...The woman dealing with my claim said it is quite difficult for them to refuse coverage...Maybe she was wrong.

Side note...biggest mistake of my life and I now have a ZERO alcohol rule that I never break. It was a good life lesson that you can make shit decisions even without consuming a huge amount of alcohol.

To clarify my speed was "impound worthy" but this was long before the new impound and drunk driving laws.

·
Lee RideFar
5,463 Posts
Has anyone got a ticket for having earphones, ear plugs, etc while riding? I haven't (I have custom earplugs with music) got a ticket or a warning for in all my talks with Jonny Law.

Wear ear plugs and preserve your hearing. City riding only? doubt it you need ear plugs for that.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts

I am about to open myself up to some MAJOR flaming but here goes. I had a situation when I was 19. I was impaired (less than .08) speeding (impound-able), driving a car that was not insured for me to be driving. ICBC covered the car no questions asked...The woman dealing with my claim said it is quite difficult for them to refuse coverage...Maybe she was wrong.

Side note...biggest mistake of my life and I now have a ZERO alcohol rule that I never break. It was a good life lesson that you can make shit decisions even without consuming a huge amount of alcohol.

To clarify my speed was "impound worthy" but this was long before the new impound and drunk driving laws.
Maybe times have changed, how long ago was that? I'm talking about not covering me. About 5 years ago I was told by several people that your ICBC collision insurance covers track days because it's not a race or a timed event and is considered training. So before going to the track, I called ICBC to confirm this, they said I was definitely covered. Well a few track days later the inevitable happened, I wadded my shit at the track. Filed a claim with ICBC. Long story short, they refused to cover me. Even tried to sue them which went no where. $25,000 later I learned a hard lesson. If you're ever unsure when it comes to insurance, get it in writing.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
Maybe times have changed, how long ago was that? I'm talking about not covering me. About 5 years ago I was told by several people that your ICBC collision insurance covers track days because it's not a race or a timed event and is considered training. So before going to the track, I called ICBC to confirm this, they said I was definitely covered. Well a few track days later the inevitable happened, I wadded my shit at the track. Filed a claim with ICBC. Long story short, they refused to cover me. Even tried to sue them which went no where. $25,000 later I learned a hard lesson. If you're ever unsure when it comes to insurance, get it in writing.

This was about five years ago as well. Long story short ICBC had to replace a $100,000 car for a grand total of about $230 dollars. My little brothers impound nearly cost him 10 times that...go figure.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts

Well in that case you're a 3rd party aren't you? If someone has had active insurance then they would be covered even though you were using it because you're the 3rd party.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
in this case, they would 'cover' you, but then you'd be financially responsible to reimburse them for any payments and costs associated with that pay out.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
Well in that case you're a 3rd party aren't you? If someone has had active insurance then they would be covered even though you were using it because you're the 3rd party.
You are very possibly right.

However, headphones, illegal parking etc... You will be covered/not be found at fault for those reasons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey All, New here and bumping this old headphone legal/illegal law here in B.C. Any updates to this or anyone ticketed lately?
I just got back into riding and considering using my wired headset for navigation for now (single or double depending on laws). I need to focus right now as it’s been a while ;)

Thanks and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I have no idea how it could be proven in court that you were wearing the headphones/earbuds. And that is what it comes down to for me .... a proveable offence. Also, as a rider for the past 38 yrs, I am aware that most people will wear hearing protection of some kind and that protection aids in making a safe rider. I would never be concerned in the least about getting a ticket for this.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Seems like if you were pulled over for something else like speeding say and the officer witnessed you removing earphones/buds while removing your helmet that it could be proveable you were wearing them? That said when I was pulled over in this exact scenario, no mention was made of my earbuds whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
how is this topic still coming up, the laws have not changed....its illegal to drive with two headphones in your ears in BC, however there is an exemption for Motorcycles.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts