BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding out that my Alter EGO 2.0 jacket and pants are not as waterproof as they claim, I decided to ScotchGard my whole gear.

I haven't had a chance for another heavy rain but thought I'll ask if anyone had used this product to rainproof their gear?

Also if anyone has tried this on leathers? and the results?

From what I understand, it is basically a silicon based product that seals the fibre pores, preventing water from penetrating....

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Nothing is truly waterproof AND breathable. If you want waterproof then you need rain gear that goes over top your current gear. There is too much pressure when riding for any semi-permeable membrane to work effectively in clothing.

That being said, Scotchguard in the green can works well if the clothing is clean otherwise wash it really well and use something like Nikwax wash in waterproofing stuff. It works great but make sure you don't use your own washing machine.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
You need to have the liner in the Alter Ego stuff to make it waterproof. My ex-GF had AE pants and I can't remember in they had a liner (you can call and ask if ya want) but I know the jacket does and it does a fine job so I don't know what you are talking about there.

Ballistic pants are probably a better bet in the rain.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
I don't believe you want to use that stuff on leathers. Get mink oil for your leathers.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Ooops is the Alterego leather? If it is nevermind to my suggestion!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
haha Slowzuki scotchguarded his pants once when we were riding and it didn't work worth a damn.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to have the liner in the Alter Ego stuff to make it waterproof.
Yes the liner does work in keeping my clothes dry, but the outer shell still gets wet resulting in a pool of water that collects at my elbows then drains into my gloves as I straighten them. I figure if I can waterproof the outer shell, then no pool of water at the elbows.

My ex-GF had AE pants and I can't remember in they had a liner (you can call and ask if ya want)
Whats her number? :laughing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts