BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in through searching on google for a local motorcycle club in vancouver.

I currently do not own a bike, but would very much like to within a year or two. That is actually part of the reason why i joined. I do not know a lot about sportbikes, but i am willing to learn and what better place than a local club?

I have never ridden on a bike before, and i know it is a smart move to go to a school to help you get yourself a license. I was thinking of spending up to 4000$ on a decent starter bike. Doesen't have to be fast, but fast enough to keep up wtih traffic and look decent too. I saw a 90 ninja on another local site going for 2000$ and i thought that was a reasonable price. But i am always open for suggestions on a good starter bike. Also if anyone has any tips out there for a starter i'll be sure to welcome them with open ears and great appreciation.

Anyways, i hope to gain a lot of knowledge and hopefully some new friends. Later.

:rider

·
Veritas Aequitas
340 Posts
looks like you came to the right place !

welcome to the site!! :D

i don't ride yet either, but my course starts tonight! so hopefully i'll be riding pretty darn quick!

i think you'll really like the site and find everyone very helpful and friendly. i've learned a lot here in the past few months and really enjoy coming here.

but BEWARE.. this place is addictive! once you start - you're stuck! :p

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:flip welcome :flip <--- Stand BCSB Greeting!

This site is like an addiction,.. once you join you never leave.. not that your aloud to even if you wanted! :p

Happy hunting for a first bike.. and I would highly recommend a motorcycle safety course.. especially with no previous riding experience.. makes ALL the difference in the world!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
:flip WELCOME ABOARD :flip

Just so you know a Ninja 250 is more than enough to keep up with taffic and can also do shorter highway rides without breathing too hard. After that it's all overkill

Actually for the way traffic is in THIS town a moped is overkill..... :rolleyes

Ninja 500's make a great beginner bike. Nimble, decent power to make you smile and very touring capable. Katana 600's are nice but there's a LOT of plastic. Seca 600 and Bandit 600 are also good first timers.

Bikes are a lot more powerful than you think. A Ninja 250 can beat almost any stock car out there in a drag race so don't get to greedy or you may find yourself riding on a lion's back........ :D

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
:flip Welcome:flip ...to the board Danger.

Looks like you've got the right idea...take the course, get good gear and buy a used bike. With your attitude, your half way there.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:flip Welcome... :flip, have fun trying to leave :)

Seriously though, any bike with over 50 HP is much faster then 95% of the cars on the road.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the welcome greetings people, i know what you are all talking about when you say addictions to the site. Just can't keep myself away, and i have to come back for more.

Does anyone out there know of anyone trying to unload a good beginner bike? Maybe im jumping the gun a bit, since i still wouldn't be able to afford it (current fund for bike right now is sitting at 500$) Oh well, its nice to get some knowledge in me before i make decisions on a purchase, right?

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Danger said:
thanks for all the welcome greetings people, i know what you are all talking about when you say addictions to the site. Just can't keep myself away, and i have to come back for more.

Does anyone out there know of anyone trying to unload a good beginner bike? Maybe im jumping the gun a bit, since i still wouldn't be able to afford it (current fund for bike right now is sitting at 500$) Oh well, its nice to get some knowledge in me before i make decisions on a purchase, right?
:flip welcome to the site :flip

as for good starter bikes. hmmm, I think there was a thread in the general forum about that.

but in your case, your bike fund is 500 bucks, well, what I would do is buy a 500-900 dollar beater bike (most likely a bike from the 80s), learn how to ride on it, get comfortable and all and ride the piss outta it for a good 8-16 weeks, then sell it for what you paid for and take a motorcycle course. Then go ahead and get a newer bike, and hopefully by the time, you'll have enough cash to get one. (or be like me and get a bank loan) :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the current status of the bike fund is at 500$ but it will be growing over time. (i just had to pay off 1500 to my uncle who fixed my car) Payday for me is tomorrow, and there goes an extra 300-400 dollars back into the fund. Two weeks from now hopefully i'll be able to add another 400-500$ to the fun, so in hindsight i could get up to maybe a grand or two within the next two or three months. that should be suitable enough (or maybe not) to get a decent looking and running starter bike right?

Also if i were to take a motorcycle school, would i need a learner's license and my own bike? Or do they have like bikes i could learn on?

·
=======
733 Posts
Welcome Danger, im sure you will not gain any knowlege from me but heck I'll be your friend :)

·
Veritas Aequitas
340 Posts
Danger said:
... maybe a grand or two within the next two or three months. that should be suitable enough (or maybe not) to get a decent looking and running starter bike right?

you can always get lucky, or stumble on the perfect deal. but, in my opinion, you're gonna need around $1500-$2000 for a decent bike. mine's an '87 kawasaki ninja ex500 and it was right in that price range (so were all the others i looked at, but most of 'em were junk).

start looking around and see what's out there so you know what to expect!

Also if i were to take a motorcycle school, would i need a learner's license and my own bike? Or do they have like bikes i could learn on?
you need a learner's, but if you go somewhere like ACTION (which was SO highly recommended to me by friends and nearly everyone on this site) then you use their bikes. smaller, lighter bikes that belong to someone else (always a bonus in case you drop it :thumbup )

... and i'll be able to tell ya how the course is myself soon.. mine started yesterday!

hope to see you out onthe roads soon! :rider

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
intercepter 500 is a great starter bike cheap also 1500-2000,good luck
welcome to our hell:thumbup

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
BOMAX said:
intercepter 500 is a great starter bike cheap also 1500-2000,good luck
welcome to our hell:thumbup
I second that. As I had an '85 Honda Interceptor VFR500 as my first starter bike. I bought mine for $2000 in 1995.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1990 Kawasaki 250 Ninja

26,000 kms, Recent chain & sprockets & rear brake pads.

that's what it listed for the ad i looked at.

So this wouldn't be a good starter bike then?

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Danger said:
1990 Kawasaki 250 Ninja

26,000 kms, Recent chain & sprockets & rear brake pads.

that's what it listed for the ad i looked at.

So this wouldn't be a good starter bike then?
the 250 ninja is a good starter bike.... though many people say they outgrow it really quick. but if you plan on keeping it for a short period then flip it, then it would be a good choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts