BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here (been lurking,) so I thought I'd just introducing myself, and asking a question. Just started riding in the last year and been through 5 bikes in that time before finally deciding on a '91 CBR600F2 to stick with.

I've noticed a lot of the people here are riding one-two year old sportbikes. What all do you do to lower the insurance? I got a quote on my 91 CBR600F2 with a stated value of 3k, and ICBC wanted 170 bucks a month! with over 100 of it for theft coverage, only 40 for liability. The value was stated at 3k.

Something seems a little [email protected]#$ing odd here. Are they planning on writing off my bike every other year?!?!?!?!?!?

It would make sense if it was in my name, but I'm putting it in someone else's name (rider for over 25 years, no accidents in the past 12+, vs. me with 6 months experience on a super sport 600.)

if I paying 100 dollars on 3k value, are all you guys with 00-02 600s and such paying 400 bucks? If not anyone have any ideas why they want to screw over my CBR and what I can do to screw them right back?

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
welcome aboard:flip (standard greeting)

Don't feel bad about the insurance, I pay $215/month , now thats a rip off, but c'est la vie.
I know there are private insurance companies out there that have better rates, but most of them require accident free riders for x amount of time.
I am still searching to reduce my insurance!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
usually people with older bikes don't do comprehensive (fire, theft, etc)..

i have a '92 kat with basic + collision..
chances are nobody gonna steal my bike coz lets face it - it's old
and if i start paying for theft insuarance im gonna cover the cost of my bike in a year!

right now im paying something like 1300 a year, if i had full insurance on it be paying almost double. so i decided not to..
went with collision only if i smack into someone....

hope this helps.

-d

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alright, thanks for the advice, I'm not a full car licensed driver, so I'm stuck without my full bike licsence for a bit, which I suspect would drive my premiums at a private insurer through the roof.

I'm only getting collision I figure. My bike has been crashed at least twice resulting in one damaged fairing, one damaged engine casing on the other side, neither of which will be repaired, only the most inept and outright stupid of thieves would even touch it with a ten foot pole. lol

Not that I'm complaining, getting a beater/non-runner (for 1k though, which is reasonable) and fixing it was the only way I'd be able to get a sport bike, and staying on UJMs didn't appeal to me.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, I'm paying about $143 a month on a $9000 declared value for full coverage. I don't know where you guys are shopping for your insurance, 'cause 'dang it seems pretty expensive for a lot of you.

Here, give Cindee a call, she'll hook you up.

Cindee Padgham (Sussex Insurance):
Cell: 604-880-8617
Pager: 604-292-8888

She's great, she has contacts with all the private insurance companies, and really does the shopping FOR you. She's also mobile, so she'll go to your house with all the forms and stuff - you just sign them and she hands you your stickers and papers and you're all set!

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
:flip ahoy hoy :flip

another delta boy....whereabouts in delta are ya? I live in the sunshine hills area behind scottsdale mall.

as regarding insurance.... one of the main reasons I bought a brand new bike was just because of that.... it is pretty much the same to insurance a new bike as it is a older one....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the sound of that SuperiorWANG :D What kind of experience do they expect? Also how do claims on that policy affect your ICBC standing (I've heard that they are seperate, or?) I'll give her a call I think.

CG, I live in the boonies, err Tsawwassen, but I ride enough I'll probably run into you at some poind. :rolleyes

ICBC is a load of shit, they wanted over a grand a year for full on a frikken an XS400 (That is a death trap I'll never touch against once I get a new battery in my CBR)

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
superiorWANG said:
Hey guys, I'm paying about $143 a month on a $9000 declared value for full coverage. I don't know where you guys are shopping for your insurance, 'cause 'dang it seems pretty expensive for a lot of you.

Here, give Cindee a call, she'll hook you up.

Cindee Padgham (Sussex Insurance):
Cell: 604-880-8617
Pager: 604-292-8888

She's great, she has contacts with all the private insurance companies, and really does the shopping FOR you. She's also mobile, so she'll go to your house with all the forms and stuff - you just sign them and she hands you your stickers and papers and you're all set!
how much of a discount do you have? and what coverage?

..now that's whati call service!

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Jay P said:
I like the sound of that SuperiorWANG :D What kind of experience do they expect? Also how do claims on that policy affect your ICBC standing (I've heard that they are seperate, or?) I'll give her a call I think.

CG, I live in the boonies, err Tsawwassen . :rolleyes

ICBC is a load of shit, they wanted over a grand a year for full on a frikken an XS400 (That is a death trap I'll never touch against once I get a new battery in my CBR)
ah, your out by Big Jim :)

yeah, it seems the way ICBC figures the rates out, it helps push new vehicles out the doors at dealerships....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Canadian_Gixxer said:

ah, your out by Big Jim :)

yeah, it seems the way ICBC figures the rates out, it helps push new vehicles out the doors at dealerships....
No kidding, but they sure brain wash their employees. I know someone who used to work there and the ammount of crap she spouted made me want to PUKE.

I've got a question, when I finish getting my full bike license, are most of the rides on the ride board open if some asks to go, or am I likely to get turned down? It'd be fun to go on some group rides, seeing as how none of my friends ride bikes :(

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Jay P said:

No kidding, but they sure brain wash their employees. I know someone who used to work there and the ammount of crap she spouted made me want to PUKE.

I've got a question, when I finish getting my full bike license, are most of the rides on the ride board open if some asks to go, or am I likely to get turned down? It'd be fun to go on some group rides, seeing as how none of my friends ride bikes :(
dude you dont need your full licence to come out with us, we are not gonna turn ya down..... just come along and ride at your own pace.... we aren't crazy riders, we just like to shoot the breeze.....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, I may do that sometime Canadian Gixxer, I'd still like to be allowed to ride after dark first though. lol, I'm almost at the lose my licence points stage too, so I'll probably be in the back of the group

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jay P said:
Definately give her a call, she can answer your questions way better than I can (she's really patient and helpful, she knows her stuff, and she's very experienced with motorcycles - well, the insurance part anyway). If she asks, tell her Steve sent you (she likes customers who are referred to her by her existing customers).

I'll try to answer your question though (you'll probably want to ask Cindee to clear this up:

It depends on what type of claim it is. If it's stolen or something that isn't your fault, then it doesn't affect your standing with ICBC. However, if you do get into an accident, the accident is "put on" your motorcycle and ONLY your motorcycle. So say you have 40% now on your car, when you get insurance on your bike you'll also get 40%. However if you go out and crash it, then they'll deduct say 20% (I don't know how much they deduct) off only your motorcycle. So the end result is that you'll still have 40% for your car, but now your bike only has 20%.

As far as experience goes...that's a fuzzy area...ICBC just recently changed their policies on that kind of stuff, so you better ask Cindee.

Hope that helps!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AlphaQ said:

how much of a discount do you have? and what coverage?

..now that's whati call service!
I have 40% discount on regular coverage, but Cindee managed to squeeze me an extra 3% on comprehensive and collision.

Hehe, it's definately convenient. I just called her, gave her my information, and poof! Half an hour later she's at my door with my papers and stickers!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'll give her a shout then SW, thanks, still not sure I'll get anything but theft, and even then only if it is still a LOT less, since I will never claim any single vehicle accidents.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe, it's definately convenient. I just called her, gave her my information, and poof! Half an hour later she's at my door with my papers and stickers!
wow...i'll be insuring in the next week or so...i think i'll giver her a call...are you under private insurance then??

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
superiorWANG said:

I have 40% discount on regular coverage, but Cindee managed to squeeze me an extra 3% on comprehensive and collision.

40%!? how long have you had your license?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've got the 43% discount too. It doesn't have to be just your motorbike licence. When I moved out here I got my bike licence. Then got my insurance stuff faxed out from alberta. I had 5 years driving with no accidents/tickets so I got the full 40% discount on my bike insurance, though bikes are still pretty pricey :eek

-arai-

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also have a 43% discount on my bike. I only pay $140 a month on my 2002 ninja 6r and that covers me for comprehensive, collision and theft and also 1,000,000 liability so I'm wondering where you guys with those high quotes went to??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts