BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just reading through the March issue of Sport Rider magazine and saw a short review of the Veypor Helmet HUD system. I went to their website to have a look and it looks kinda crazy. I don't think I would ever buy it, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried one of these types of systems. What was it like?

http://veypor.com/hud.html

N

·
0 Posts
im scared about aerodynamics.... might strain your neck at higher speeds if you need to turn your head....

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
furius and noob... neither of those would be issues if it actually worked.

likeI said... save yer $.

you'd spend it better encrusting your rims in diamonds

F

·
0 Posts
Have More Fun Riding

It takes a long time (3-5 seconds) for a rider to take their eyes off the road, focus on their instruments, then refocus on the road.

what the fuk are you lookin at for 3-5 seconds ,are you doing math ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great for the cruiser crowd who are slow. At speeds I go it would either rip off or twist my head off. Now if they could build this into the helmet it would pwn :rockon

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Definitely agree with that. Building it into a helmet would be the way to go. :thumbup

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
SpideRider said:
Definitely agree with that. Building it into a helmet would be the way to go. :thumbup

i thought about this a long time ago... using surface mounted micro LEDs in the helmet.

but more of an indicator to let you know if your turn signals are on, high beam, shift.

can be easily done... but its the wireless that costs money.... i would think

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think it would make more sense to make the bike's dash as easy to read as possible, even at speed. Keep the helmets nice and light.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
funny... we told them the same thing.. build it into the helmet. the sportvue has a lot of problems in its current form (too many to list). nice people that work there, though.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I just bought one and will be installing it before taking my bike out for spring. The selling point for me was that it displays radar detector warnings.

I'm sure I'll post a review after trying it out.

But from other reviews I've read from non partisan riders, the aerodynamics are not an issue, and some actually use it on the track.

we shall see...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
well, you shoul dhave taken my offer up and talked to me about that before you bought it. The radar function is next to useless. Like I said we tested it for over 4K,... ended up sending it back and not reviewing it at this time. SImply too many probs with the unit.

If you can still get your $ back, or even if you need install tips you can drop me an email, but really.. I cant recommend the unit to anyone in its current state of development.

[email protected]

hey... tat.. is that you from Graceland?

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Ollie, what about it makes the radar function useless?

What sort of bugs did you run into?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The list of probs is huge...

with specific regards to radar, as we are about to release the results of a 6 month radar comparo, we did try using the sportvue in combination with the top 3 radar detectors available. I dont have time to tyupe it all out right now as it takes awhile to explain, but in a nutshell the sportvue does not use any "rich" information to trigger the "RADAR" warning in its display, therefore any signal, xband, k band, ka, ku, laser will trigger a "RADAR" warning being displayed. Furthermore there is no differentiation in strength,

ie: a single bar out of 5 of X band on a radar detector (which a normal rider/ driver would interpret as a false/ garage door opener etc) would show the same on the sportvue as a full on "laser" or instant on warning.. both displaying "RADAR RADAR RADAR" by the sportvue. Plus there was no way to assure that the warning would or would not display at all because of the lack of stds employed by sportvue..

like I said I'm in the middle of writing the review so I cant type it all out right now in a post..

Just hate to see someone waste their money. Basically the sportvue people are very nice people. We've met them in person and they're okay. Their product needs a lot of work in our opinion...

hope this heklps.. sorry for the typos.. I'm all thumbs on this 3/4 size keyboard.

oh.. and the batteries only last for about 8 hours.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Mostly I wanted the Sportvue for when I go long distance touring, not at all for bombing around town. So the lack of definitive radar display is a bit of a drag but any radar signal out in the styx usually means cops, and not bank alarm system. I'm hoping it'll be enough to grab my attention and glance down at my radar detector to see what sort of band reading it is. Unless of course it's 'instant on' laser and by then I'd already be getting my ticket. I'm thinking my Passport 8500 is ear splitting loud at full volume, so I'll hopefully be able to hear it over my earplugs and I'm also rocking a stock pipe which is pretty hush hush.

These are all things I'm telling myself so I'll feel better about potentially buying a very expensive hunk of junk.

F

·
0 Posts
Tattoodles said:
I'm hoping it'll be enough to grab my attention and glance down at my radar detector to see what sort of
isnt that kinda what youd do without that thing anyway ? sell it on ebay as star trek memorablia,you might make money .

not much a fan of any HUD set up ,it takes nearly as long to look up or over or otherwise,,plus slightly distracting.there is enough to watch on the road besides the gear,tach radar,speedo ,time ,temp ,oil temp ,GPS,...fuel,....date ,,,,ahh fuk i just went blind,,......great .

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
borderline, that's not entirely true.

when config'd correctly the display does appear to "hover" in your field of view, so there is no need to "look up".

it does take some getting used to/ training your eye to see the system correctly.

as for the install.... well.. that's a real bitch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts