BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried on some helmets today and basically it comes down to a medium or large Arai Astral. The large seems comfortably tight and the medium seems almost uncomfortably tight with pressure points on the forehead area and the cheeks kinda hurt too. The medium is painful to put on and off since I wear earrings.

The accesories person said I should go with the medium since the foam in the forehead area can be packed in tighter and that the cheekpads will not be as tight after the helmet has been worn in a bit. Should I go with the medium or the large ? I'm much more comfortable in the large, but am afraid it may not be safe enough in the event of a get off.

And also, anyone know where's the cheapest place around here to get an Arai ?? From what I've seen, I think Modern Motorcycles has the best prices. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanx all !!

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
if you have pressure points when you try it on chances are they will still be there later cause cause the padding doesn't loosen out that much... basically if you hold the helmet while its on and jerk your head side to side while holding the helmet still and your head doesn't slide around inside that is the right size

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
When I buy a helmet the first area of fit is the outer shell or energy absorbent layer. This is going to take a little bit of feel but what you want to do is feel through the soft liner to the hardlinder and what you should feel is that the top of your head does touch the top of the liner and then in a ring around your skull just above the ears there should be a line of contact most of the way around without any pressure points of note. If you can't make your head touch the top of the liner then it's too small. It might take a little push to do this but if it doesn't happen then go bigger.

Now you go for the contact point around the rim of your skull. The most common problem is that it sits on one point at your forehead and another at the back and rocks on these two points from side to side. Look for another brand or model until it fits with the contact points in as much of a ring as possible. Ideally the contact ring should feel like a baseball cap sitting a little high on your head.

Now that the safety fit is as close as you can get it look for comfort padding that fits well, breath guard, graphics and all that other stuff.

But if the hard liner does not fit your head properley it is going to be uncomfortable at best and bloody dangerous to your grey cell at worst. Fit first, graphics second.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Regarding the earing thing.. I thought I totally bought the wrong helmet once I put it on and off a few times.. you get used to it, and most helmets will flex a little.. I only have 1 earing but I take mine off a little to the side and all is ok.

Pressure is good, lots is bad.. the pads will grove to your head after you wear it a bit..

I'm also moving this is to the GEAR area.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I agree with thr1, pressure POINTS are bad. Pressure itself is OK, but if it is concentrated at a few points, the chances are it will not go away--it should lessen as the foam packs out, but it you can feel it badly after a few seconds of trying on the helmet, I doubt you will ever be comfortable.

My helmet fits very snug (I wear an XS) but does not hurt at all, so I would keep trying different brands and models until you find the perfect fit. :)

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
This is my first post here...

NEways, last winter when i bought my Arai Quantum E, i tried a M and the fit seemed good, then the guy told me to try to Small, at first it seemed too snug to even put on, but after it's fully on, it was ok.

I'd suggest you ask if you could try on the smaller size helmet and wear it around inside the shop for about 20 minutes, then take it off to check how focused the pressure points are.

Hopefully that helps. I too got an SV, It's awesome.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Steve, I'm new here too but welcome aboard !!

Are you the one with the silver or yellow SVS ? I've seen a silver one around the east side vancouver a couple times, and a yellow one that's around burnaby quite a bit.

I'm gonna get either a blue or silver one sometime in may, hope to see you on the group rides !!

·
ignorance + apathy
286 Posts
rockshoxbiker said:
This is my first post here...

NEways, last winter when i bought my Arai Quantum E, i tried a M and the fit seemed good, then the guy told me to try to Small, at first it seemed too snug to even put on, but after it's fully on, it was ok.

I'd suggest you ask if you could try on the smaller size helmet and wear it around inside the shop for about 20 minutes, then take it off to check how focused the pressure points are.

Hopefully that helps. I too got an SV, It's awesome.

Steve
Woo ... another two SV ... Welcome aboard ...

Regarding to the helmet ...
check out those helmet companies' web-site,
most of them provide good info about fitting and size charts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KO7 said:
Hey Steve, I'm new here too but welcome aboard !!

Are you the one with the silver or yellow SVS ? I've seen a silver one around the east side vancouver a couple times, and a yellow one that's around burnaby quite a bit.

I'm gonna get either a blue or silver one sometime in may, hope to see you on the group rides !!

Oops, didn't see your avatar.... you're the one with the yellow one huh.

BikeInBlack: good to see an SVS on the group rides !! Hope to join you guys soon !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's possible that Arai's are not the best helmets for you to buy. For instance, when it comes to cycling helmets, about the only ones that fit me are Specialized. Bells fit funny, and I'm in-between sizes on Giros. I guess that motorbike helmets are similar.

I would definitely avoid a helmet with pressure points. *Tight* can loosen up, but pressure points are a bad sign I think. Maybe try a HJC or something?

good luck,

sluggo

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
seriously walk around in that thing for 20 minutes.
i was ok between medium and large but in the end i decided to go with medium. for a few months after i got it i had big ass headaches if i ridden for more than 5 minutes. now it's ok..but next time im gonna go with large instead of medium.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts