BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a helmet from Aaron at modern exaclty a week ago. Had to order it in because he didn't have the colour I wanted, told him all I knew was I was an HJC medium, so he ordered a medium.

When I went in to pick it up I tried it on and said it's too big. He assured me many times it was the right size and that all the movement was just my skin moving. He got me to puff my cheeks and a couple other things and again assured me it was the correct fit. I was skeptical that he just didn't want to re-order but seeing as I really don't know much about helmets I trusted him.

Anyways, now I've had a couple people tell me it's way to big. I can't move it a whole lot side to side, but I can move it so much up and down that I can see out from under the helmet just by pushing up on it. This isn't good is it?

I have my last PRS ride tonight so I'm gonna see what they say. But basically my question is what can I do about it (assuming it is to big)?

I'm guessing they won't want to take it back or exchange it seeing as it's a helmet (btw it's mint, no scratches, no drops... it's been babied). But I don't think I should have to take the fall on this one seeing as I blatantly told him it was too big, and if it really is to big for me than he lied straight to my face...

I tried calling but they're busy... Any thoughts before I go in??

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
No I'm fairly certain a brand new helmet should not move up and down like that. Especially given that it's going to get even more movement as it gets older and the lining inside crushes down.

As far as I see it you face a number of problems here. The first being that you went in and ordered an HJC medium helmet. If that's indeed what you got, and you left with it, you probably don't have a leg to stand on. Did you try the helmet on in the colour you didn't want or simply order a medium?

The second problem is that yes, nobody wants to take a used helmet back regardless of how much it's been babied.

The only thing I can suggest is stay calm and polite. Don't go in with accusations or any type of attitude. Avoid saying things like "Well YOU told me it's fine by my riding instructor from PRS said it's not!". You don't want Aaron to go on the deffensive right out of the gates. Be humble, and hope for the best.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
23,555 Posts
Well.....two sides.

First.....you asked Modern to order the helmet in that size...so from that perspective, you should know what you want.

I would never order a helmet unless I was 110% sure, and had tried that EXACT model and size to confirm.

Second side....*if* the helmet truly is too large, and Aaron pushed you on your way, with his "expert" assessment, perhaps there's some responsibility on his end.

What are their store policies on special order items?

Some places have re-stocking fees, some places offer no refunds, exchanges only, some it's a simple final sale agreement on special orders.

One day is probably acceptable, but 1 week.....probably pushing it for a helmet.

He cannot re-sell it as new.....it's now a used helmet, that's just the way it is.

As a customer, would you pay full price for a helmet that someone had worn for a week, and returned?

My only point, when speaking with Modern, try to consider both sides.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I guess I forgot to mention:

I tried on an HJC in Daytona and Rob helped me establish that I was a medium, and maybe more importantly why I was a medium (how it should fit, what it should and shouldn't do etc...).

The helmet I got from Modern was a Joe Rocket. Which is why when I ordered I said "I fit an HJC medium" because I know helmets, like boots, hockey skates and so many other things fit differently witch each brand.

I phoned him to get him to order one in - I half expected him to say come try one on before I order it but instead he ordered it and took my c/c number.

I do see both sides, and would suck it up if I had not told him I didn't think it fit. I guess the thing that really bugs me is I didn't think it fit, told him that, but to make the sale he convinced me it did fit. Taking advantage of him being the "expert". If this was a pair of jeans or something I couldn't care less... but seeing as this is potentially my life we're talking about it rather upsets me that someone would stoop to that to make a sale...

I would be more than happy to pay a re-stocking fee or something like that... as I know this is a rought spot for them as well. But I do not think I should be charged full price for beleiving them...

Again I want to make it clear that this is all under the assumption that it is indeed to big, I don't like throwing accusations around before I'm sure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What you can do now since you have the helmet is buy more lining. You can add bigger lining into it so it fits properly instead of throwing it away. Or try selling the helmet as well but for me I might as well just buy more lining for my helmet.

·
Super Moderator
23,555 Posts
Sorry I guess I forgot to mention:

I tried on an HJC in Daytona and Rob helped me establish that I was a medium, and maybe more importantly why I was a medium (how it should fit, what it should and shouldn't do etc...).

The helmet I got from Modern was a Joe Rocket. Which is why when I ordered I said "I fit an HJC medium" because I know helmets, like boots, hockey skates and so many other things fit differently witch each brand.
You may be SOL, but only way to find out, call Aaron.

Lesson learned, ALWAYS try on the exact make & model before committing to purchase, you have to.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Aaron and he was really good about it.Told me to come in and he'd adjust it (I guess with liner/foam or something) so it'll fit proper.

In the end like CHIA said the lesson is to never buy a helmet unless you know for certain it fits. Any other piece of gear is a little more flexible but it's pretty black and white for a helmet.

At least I didn't have to learn this with a Shoei :)... Worst case scenario with this bucket I fork out another $150 and get another one - hopefully sell the old one on CL.

Anyways, just wanted to clear this up so it doesn't look like a knock against Modern/Aaron. Pretty happy with them overall....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
When I bought my helmet, I stuck it on my head and walked around the store for 20-30 minutes before I bought it. That was the only way I could tell if it fit me properly or not. I didn't care that my wife made fun of me and told me I looked like an idiot. At least I knew it fit. There was another guy there trying on helmets and was also a newbie. He kept complaining that the helmet felt "tight" righ after putting it on, so the salesperson kept giving him larger helmets until he was trying on XXL size. The guy looked about 5'8", 150 lbs and his head did NOT look that big to me anways...

Having said that, you should have asked for refund policy before he took your CC number. I know a lot of places will not refund special orders. When I called Daytona to see if they could get some Scorpion pants in for my wife in small and medium to check sizing, they didn't ask me for any deposit.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
So, you wasted Rob's time at Daytona, and then ordered a helmet from someone else? And it was a different brand, doesn't fit right, and now you want them to take it back? I'd tell you to stuff it, and not with extra lining. If you spent Rob's time to let him fit you properly, why did you buy it elsewhere? Sounds like karma.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, you wasted Rob's time at Daytona, and then ordered a helmet from someone else? And it was a different brand, doesn't fit right, and now you want them to take it back? I'd tell you to stuff it, and not with extra lining. If you spent Rob's time to let him fit you properly, why did you buy it elsewhere? Sounds like karma.
Your logic makes no sense...

Your saying I'm not aloud to compare? I should just buy the very first helmet I ever look at?

Forgive me for wanting to look around, see what's out there. I'm glad I did seeing as the CL-16 at Daytona that I tried on was $169. Carter has it for $130.

Also after trying on the Joe Rocket I could instantly tell it was a better quality helmet, and very comfy. It retails for more ($199) yet I paid about $102 for it (it was in a package deal).

So basically I got a better helmet, at $50 less plus a sick deal on gloves. Nothing against Rob, he was a great guy and all but I'm not gonna dish out significant amounts of money just because I went there first. That would make me a moron. Did you buy the first bike you saw? car? helmet? anything in life?

When I bought my helmet, I stuck it on my head and walked around the store for 20-30 minutes before I bought it. That was the only way I could tell if it fit me properly or not. I didn't care that my wife made fun of me and told me I looked like an idiot. At least I knew it fit.
Exactly what I will be doing next time...

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am sure Modern will help you out, possibly give you a new helmet at cost, or whatever. I know they do not want a rider out there in an unsafe helmet. The cannot take it back, of course...and special orders are special orders...

Definitely try the BRAND you are buying first.

It should grab your cheeks, not rock forward alot when grabbed from the back, and not twist side to side when you are facing straight. The brow should be on your brow, and the chinbar should keep your jaw inside - not under it. Other than that, check for hardspots etc. Most people wear their helmet too big, which means it can COME OFF or spin on your head in a crash.

Different helmet brands have different shell sizing, different liner materials, and are differently shaped (oval, round, tall, short etc) so it is very important to try several brands on to see how your head mates with all the variables. Sizing can be 1-1.5 sizes different from brand to brand, generally.:eek

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got my helmet from RMS. The girl who fitted me was very helpful and I originally was gonna get a S but she said it looked a bit loose and got me to do the whole side ways, tilt, pull up, cheeks and forehead test. Ended up getting a XS (I don't look like a bobblehead at least :laughing) and it's now molded out to my head quite comfortably. :coffee Took about 2 months for the padding to squish down.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went and talked to Aaron today, he still says it fits. I mentioned the up and down movement and he pointed out that it's no where near coming off.

I made a point of making sure it'll protect me in a crash and he seems pretty confident. I think it could be a bit more snug but the side to side movement is pretty good and I know it won't come off as long as the chin strap is done up tight so I'm not going to worry about the up and down movement too much (if there is some other safety concern for up/down movement please let me know :)).

So I think it'll be fine... if I get some more comments on it being to big I'll look into adding liner or buying another one and keeping this one for a passenger/backup...

·
Registered
720 Posts
:laughing
I went and talked to Aaron today, he still says it fits. I mentioned the up and down movement and he pointed out that it's no where near coming off.

I made a point of making sure it'll protect me in a crash and he seems pretty Iis pretty good and I know it won't come off as long as the chin strap is done up tight so I'm not going to worry about the up and down movement too much (if there is some other safety concern for up/down movement please let me know :)).

So I think it'll be fine... if I get some more comments on it being to big I'll look into adding liner or buying another one and keeping this one for a passenger/backup...
You'll know if its too loose the first time you are up over say 150. :laughing It will be readily apparent if it squashes into your face, tries to fly upwards or spin when you shoulder check.

It is incredibly common for a new rider to come in and try an XL and think it fits ok, only to be assisted by us and find he actually takes a small.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts

You'll know if its too loose the first time you are up over say 150. :laughing It will be readily apparent if it squashes into your face, tries to fly upwards or spin when you shoulder check.

It is incredibly common for a new rider to come in and try an XL and think it fits ok, only to be assisted by us and find he actually takes a small.
Yeah it's laughable when you can grab the chinbar and pull the forehead pad / liner section down over their eyes. "Do you still think you fit an XL?"

Left to their own devices the average person not familiar with a properly fit helmet, will select at a bare minimum a helmet that is one size too large, some much more.

:ghost

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
I called Aaron and he was really good about it.Told me to come in and he'd adjust it (I guess with liner/foam or something) so it'll fit proper.

In the end like CHIA said the lesson is to never buy a helmet unless you know for certain it fits. Any other piece of gear is a little more flexible but it's pretty black and white for a helmet.

At least I didn't have to learn this with a Shoei :)... Worst case scenario with this bucket I fork out another $150 and get another one - hopefully sell the old one on CL.

Anyways, just wanted to clear this up so it doesn't look like a knock against Modern/Aaron. Pretty happy with them overall....
I would like to recognize Aaron for being commited to making your helmet fit as well as is possible.

The next comment is not directed at the OP because he obviously already knows.

Do not leave the store with a new helmet unless you are sure about the fit. Period. Wear it in the store for at least half an hour. It is a small price to pay to ensure a good fit.

:ghost

·
lover of twins
6,092 Posts
Your logic makes no sense...

Your saying I'm not aloud to compare? I should just buy the very first helmet I ever look at?

Forgive me for wanting to look around, see what's out there. I'm glad I did seeing as the CL-16 at Daytona that I tried on was $169. Carter has it for $130.

Also after trying on the Joe Rocket I could instantly tell it was a better quality helmet, and very comfy. It retails for more ($199) yet I paid about $102 for it (it was in a package deal).

So basically I got a better helmet, at $50 less plus a sick deal on gloves. Nothing against Rob, he was a great guy and all but I'm not gonna dish out significant amounts of money just because I went there first. That would make me a moron. Did you buy the first bike you saw? car? helmet? anything in life?

so you don't know for sure if your helemt fits properly but you're enough of an expert to be able to tell instantly just by trying on a helmet that it is better quality?

i understand your gripe with going on aaron's assurance that the helmet fits, but what i don't understand is that if you've already tried on the joe rocket why tell the salesguy you take size medium in a completely different brand?

i don't know the guys at daytona but did you even go back to them or simply call to see if they would match the price another store was willing to give you?

the more details that show up about this story the more it seems that you're not willing to own up to your mistakes.

and for the record a $100 helemt is not what i would call a quality unit.

ps - it's allowed, not aloud.

as in:

jenny allowed bobbi to take her panites off.

the twins' mother shrieked aloud to jenny and bobbi, "girls! what are you doing!"

·
Super Moderator
23,555 Posts
:laughingso you don't know for sure if your helemt fits properly but you're enough of an expert to be able to tell instantly just by trying on a helmet that it is better quality?

as in:

the twins' mother shrieked aloud to jenny and bobbi, "girls! what are you doing!"
For the record, it's helmet and panties. :coffee

·
lover of twins
6,092 Posts
For the record, it's helmet and panties. :coffee
i pesfically put that in there for kerunt just to see if he's paying attention.

but don't i get bonus points for my example?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

so you don't know for sure if your helemt fits properly but you're enough of an expert to be able to tell instantly just by trying on a helmet that it is better quality?
I'm pretty sure I pointed out (twice) that I'm not an expert. Aaron told me the Rkt was better and why, seeing as he sells both helmets I don't see any reason for him to be biased. I tried it on and could see what he was talking about, not to mention it felt better. Afterwards I researched it to death like I do with anything before I bought it...

the more details that show up about this story the more it seems that you're not willing to own up to your mistakes.
Can you please read the thread before posting? It would avoid the repetition...

"In the end like CHIA said the lesson is to never buy a helmet unless you know for certain it fits. Any other piece of gear is a little more flexible but it's pretty black and white for a helmet.

At least I didn't have to learn this with a Shoei...

...just wanted to clear this up so it doesn't look like a knock against Modern/Aaron. Pretty happy with them overall"

^^^This would be me owning up to my mistake... hence the term "lesson" and "learn"...

This is not a review. I never said "The rkt-1000 is a quality helmet". I said it (in my opinion) is a higherer quality helmet than the CL-16... Also $199 is closer to $200 then $100 last time I checked...

as in:

My bad, I'm usually fairly decent with spelling but it was early and ya... my bad

1 - 20 of 29 Posts