BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
lover of twins
6,092 Posts
ya i kinda jumped the gun on you there in rxn to your response to son of lars.

the $199 list may be closer to $200 than $100 but the $102 you told us you paid is a lot closer to $100 than $200.

don't worry about the spelling - it's like sport around here at times in terms of catching people. i think it got to me because it was like the third time in the past few hours that i read the same mistake.

·
Post whore
112 Posts
I suspect the guy from the shop is trying to avoid replacing the helmet.
Helmet should fit pretty tight around your forehead. Most people actually advise taking cheek pads out (might not be possible on $100 helmet) when fitting.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If the helmet is to lose,take the liner out and put a little extra foam in the spots that need it. I can never find a good fit so I have to shave the tight spots out of the back. The secret is not to use them in the first place for anything more than keeping your head warm and the rain out.

·
CBR Chick
2 Posts
Arai fitting

Your definitely wearing a helmet that is too big if it is rocking or sliding at all. If your helmet rocks up and down your are probably wearing it down way too far when your riding, meaning your peripheral vision is limited. You might not realize it but you are probably tilting your head back a little (if your on a sport bike) so you can see better. Your eyes should be in the middle of the eye port, which also seats the helmet on the crown of your head where it belongs. You said you wear a medium but I would almost be willing to bet you wear a small. I have been working at this cycle shop for a couple months now (we specialize in selling helmets) and I cant believe how much I have learned about the helmets we sell. Arai has 4 shell shapes and each one fits totally different. Within those shell shapes they have a range of sizes from XXS-XXXL. Once you are measured and they find the right size for you, they work on finding the shape that fits your head best. Then they focus on your cheeks and changing out the cheek pads to find the best fit for your face. The difference between a proper fitting and having someone throw a helmet 2 sizes too big on your head and send you on your way, is incredible. I now own 3 Arai helmets and I will never buy anything else, these helmets are amazing. And the service I got was awesome!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Not the first time I have heard an identical story about this shop and Aaron's specific responses. And that's unfortunate.

Lesson 1: If you're not sure then seek advice of someone more experienced before you buy.

Lesson 2: Rob Goth at Daytona is a stand up guy who has a wealth of experience in the industry and, in my personal dealings with him, has always provided valuable and trusted advice. And THAT is what you're paying for if you spend a couple extra dollars with him versus another shop.

Lesson 3: Products may be a commodity - good advice is not.

Hope you get this worked out.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
your HJC CL-xx helmet should fit on so tight that it feels like it is TOO SMALL when brand new. It should feel like it is cutting off the circulation in your head for the first few days.

Mine was so tight I even posted on this forum that I think I got a helmet size too small.

After a few weeks of riding it loosened up and fits oh so right now!! It's been two years mind you. But even after a month or riding, it was a perfect fit.

If it feels loose now, wait till the fresh new foam settles in and molds to your head. It'll be even looser in a few weeks.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
......Your eyes should be in the middle of the eye port.....
More like 1/3 of the way down, If the eyes were centered that is a red flag the helmet is too small.

I'm kind of curious how anyone in the great state of Pennsylvania has heard of us on lowly BC sportbikes?

Arai makes excellent, excellent helmets, but lower end manufacturers are getting better and better every year. I realize to be fair you should compare helmets at similar pricepoints, but if you consider what is available in the market now, 300% more money for an arai does not buy you 300% more helmet. It buys you a great fit over a good fit, a handmade fiberglass shell, a bigger range of cheekpads and a fancy paintjob and that's about it.

:ghost

·
Banned
3 Posts
If the helmet moves up and down, then you need to recheck your helmet size and your head shape. Since you feel loose, it is best to retake your head shape. Have you tried other helmet brands? Probably they have given you the inaccurate helmet size.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts