BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I noticed that my brake fluid resevoir on the left side under the seat is on the "Lower" line. I read in the manual that it should be somewhere btwn Upper and Lower, and if its at the Lower or below that you should have it checked out because the brake pads might need to be changed or sth. I checked my break pads last nite n they seem to be fine, my bike has about 5000 kms. The manual also says to never top up your brake fluid unless its an emergency. Is that just one of the "by the book" rules or can i just top if up? Also, is it harmful to ride while the brake fluid level is at lower level?

As well, im having trouble reading the fluid level on the brake fluid resevoir above the brake lever. Help? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Rageaholic
8,367 Posts
just top it up
i do mine way more often than any maual recomends.

for the front brake jsut take the cap off, if the fluid is low, add some, if not put it back together. it 2 lil screws, ez.

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
if yer mechanically inclined, just top the resevoirs up. just be careful, that you don't get any on the paint. just make sure you don't have a small leak somewhere, cause yer fluid levels will drop , from the pads wearing, or a slight leak

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
if you get some on the plastic immediately wipe it off and make sure you get all of it. Have a towel around the resevoir when doing this to make sure you don't spill. plsatic + brake fluid = loud bang followed by lots of $$$$

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
just throwing this out for checking's sake, but are you checking the levels while the bike is upright or while it's on the side stand?

·
Been riding since 1985
1,609 Posts
You should check it with the bike on a rear stand or
have someone hold the bike upright.
Dot 4 brake fluid is what you need.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kamui said:
just throwing this out for checking's sake, but are you checking the levels while the bike is upright or while it's on the side stand?

Kamui... u know wut, honestly i didn't even think of that. (yes total noob here :spinsmile
So I checked it again while the bike was upright, the level only went up about 2 mms... so anyhow... im gonna top it up.

Thanks for all your help guys!! You guys are great!! :thumbup

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can somone make a video of this for me? How do I add break fluid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
OP.. pick up one of these fvckers at Princess Auto; the trick is the one way check valve, one man brake fluid bleeder kit

this makes things 100 times easier, I bleed my brakes on a regular basis. Start every season with 100% brand new fluid..

oh yeah, quit fvcking around with run of the mill dot 4 fluid... this is what you want, never mix this with oem shite :thumbup

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Forget the fancy tools. Just get some beers, wrench, some tubing, empty 2L bottle for old fluid and go at it (as video from RevZilla shows) All those tools dont really make it any easier or faster to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts