BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OCD Chain Cleaner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 2004 Honda CBR600RR with a two brothers full exhaust and I'm having issues with my tail light. There is a strong vibration caused by the exhaust and it has caused my integrated tail light to stop working. I've had the tail light for over two years and at first there were no problems. A couple months back, the tail light would flicker endlessly (people would think I was hitting the brakes) and eventually it stopped lighting up unless I applied the hand/foot brakes or the turn signals. I would avoid riding at night because I would be a blind target. I brought the bike to EMS and the rear fairings were taken apart and unfortunately the tail light was sealed so I had to replace the unit. I recently ordered a brand new integrated tail light from motodynamics.com. My question is, has anyone encountered the same issue and found a resolution? or do you have any tips to reduce the vibration (without changing the exhaust)

my plan was to find something to put around the tail light between it and the fairings and hopefully that will reduce some vibration (kind of like dynamat for car speakers)

I hope I won't have to buy another tail light caused by the same problem!

I've tried google and found nothing.

if you have any input it would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

·
600rr
455 Posts
I don't think the problem is your exhaust, I would say it's probably the IT or the wiring of the IT.

If your slip-on is vibrating that much to affect your IT, I would say your slip-on is not properly mounted.

I've never heard of motodynamics.com or anybody that has an IT from them and that's not saying the product isn't good. However, the most trusted IT for a 600rr I know of, is from tripageled.com

It's almost 3 times the cost of the motodynamics but I've heard nothing but good feedback about the tripage.

GL

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Get rid of the heat score and put the proper lights back on.

Or fix it, get the ticket and inspection order, fight both, lose, pay and put the old unit back on.

Or get hit from behind because the POS lights either have stopped working or people can't tell what you're doing because it's an integrated unit.

·
Registered
18,874 Posts
Don't listen to Sikorsky and the regular band of wacks that chime in on this site. Any moment now, some smartass will pipe up
and make a suggestion about changing your blinker fluid.. which apparently overheated in the LED's of the signal assembly.

The blinker fluid can't be changed, it's a sealed unit... so you do need a new one. A smart choice to spiffen up the rear end
of your otherwise ugly CBR600 with the OEM assembly.

My suggestion would be that you head down to Walmart and buy yourself a high temperature silicone BBQ mit, and cut a
bunch of strips out of it with a pair of scissors or an x-acto knife. They are a little expensive, but
buy two of them... in case you make an error cutting up the first one. Worst case scenario you
will have a nice new bbq mit.

Then you can just wedge some strips in between the light and pipe, to reduce the harmonic resonsance that occurs particularly
on the CBR600 at the pipe tip... between the rpm's of 7,850 and 12,235. Try different combos
of silocone strips until you find the right combination.

If you aren't comfortable with the DIY fix, you can always buy the mit, cut it up... and take it to a
reputable shop and explain what you would like done. You can even print this post off and take it down
so they understand exactly what it's all about.

·
Hates drama...
1,916 Posts
check the mounting brakets or bolts of the exhaust can. I've had the Two Bros exhaust before on a CBR and that's never happened to me. Now, I have an Arrow full exhaust on my current CBR and just the same, the vibrations are not severe enough to cause the taillight to malfunction.

Maybe post a video showing the vibrations and the flickering taillight.

I work in Richmond so PM me if you'd like to maybe meet up. I can take a look at it and possibly try to give you suggestions.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I had a TwoBros C5 slip ons on my CBR for 8 years and although I felt some vibes in the grips, no vibration issues. I had them off last year to re-pack them. The tail lite assembly is oem but it does "flex" and isn't a tight non moveable fixture. I just swapped it for a full Yossi system, no issues. Perhaps it's the mounting. Good Luck

·
Eyes set on the rubbarb
1,990 Posts
Get rid of the heat score and put the proper lights back on.

Or fix it, get the ticket and inspection order, fight both, lose, pay and put the old unit back on.

Or get hit from behind because the POS lights either have stopped working or people can't tell what you're doing because it's an integrated unit.
+1 ever been behind someone with an integrated signal? You cannot tell WTF they are doing.

When you ditch the integrated tail, be sure to trade in your icon field armor vest and pick up some proper gear =].

·
OCD Chain Cleaner
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
heres a demo of the integrated tail light i ordered from motodynamics.com

i wouldnt mind getting the stock oem tail light with turn signals but the exhaust is too large so i need to use an I.T.

thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Judging by what you have told, I'm going to say its the wiring for your integrated turn signals. Other than that, if you mounted the exhaust properly, there should be no problems. Perhaps a change in the muffler gasket will help as well. Hard to diagnose over the internet in a forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts