BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to mount my L and P flushmounts that I bought from BK onto my ZX6R. There is a green wire and a striped wire (ground?) leading from the bike, but a red, black, and striped wire from the new flushmounts. How do I connect? Do i need to weld anything or use a sodering (sp?) gun? HOw do I connect the wires????
:confused :confused
Honey is sitting naked in the garage!! I need to put the lights on tonight so I can dress her and take her out tomorrow morning!!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
What ever the solid color wire is coming off the flush mounts will be the ground wire. So connect sollid to sollid and striped to striped. I am positive that the striped wire on the bike is the power wire, but you could find out for sure if you have a test light. Try what I said and if that does not work and you dont have a test light then just experiment until you get it working. You should have it figured out pretty easily. ;)

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
Bluestone said:
I'm trying to mount my L and P flushmounts that I bought from BK onto my ZX6R. There is a green wire and a striped wire (ground?) leading from the bike, but a red, black, and striped wire from the new flushmounts. How do I connect? Do i need to weld anything or use a sodering (sp?) gun? HOw do I connect the wires????
:confused :confused
Honey is sitting naked in the garage!! I need to put the lights on tonight so I can dress her and take her out tomorrow morning!!!

stop tinkering with the bike man
your gonna break it !!
:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Bluestone,

If you bought them for the rear, then you bought the wrong ones. Rear's are only supposed to be 2 wire (Although you may be able just use the right 2 wires and all will be well). The 3rd wire is for running lights... which would be for your front.

I do believe the striped wire is ground. You really can't damage anything by hooking it up. It's just a lightbulb.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, after about 5 hours, my first time seeing any part of my Honey naked turned out tobe a succes. I bought the right lights, but they had the extra positive lead for running light purposes.
This is what i learned:
The striped wire was, in fact the ground, with the red being the positive lead that i needed
The third, (solid black) wire was for the second filament, and the running light purpose
I was able to cut the third wire 'cause i don't use my turn signals as running lights
connecting wires is pretty easy but I should have bought the proper connection pieces
the front fairing takes waaaaaayyyyyyy tooo much effort to take on/off!! (much harder than my 250 ninja)
make sure you measure both sides before drilling, or else you'll have to drill extra holes............:D
flushmounts look wwaaaayyyy better than the stock signals on the zx6r.
Thanks for the info guys.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I know you've already done it... but from what I read you were doing your fronts, did you not want to use running lights? I personally woudln't do this, as I feel it gives others a way to see which way the bike is oriented a little better, puts it in 3D for them if you will..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Glad to hear you got it all straightened out. Just remember to post some pics. I am still gonna buy flushmounts and I wanna see how they look on yours since its the same as mine.;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. So i THOUGHT i was done. The right signal flashed double tiime now, and according to Manny (from BK) it's a grounding problem or just a problem with my connection. I must admit, being my first electrical endeavour with bikes, (or anything other than Christmas lights actually) i ghetto rigged the wires at first. Manny gave me a couple of actual connectors, (the ones you have to crimp and slide the male end into the female end) but that worked for about 30 mins, and I'm back to flashing double time on the right side!!!
Anyone good with this stuff know what i can do? I don't have saudering tools, nor do I know how do do it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
absolutdm said:
I know you've already done it... but from what I read you were doing your fronts, did you not want to use running lights? I personally woudln't do this, as I feel it gives others a way to see which way the bike is oriented a little better, puts it in 3D for them if you will..
HOw would I have used them as running lights if the connection from the bike has room for two wires ,whereas there are 3 wires from the lights?
I'm not big on electrical stuff, other than rubbing my socks on carpet and shocking someone...and turining on light switches

1 - 9 of 9 Posts