BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Help! R1 won't start

35K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  MikeToronto 
#1 ·
hey guys so i got an 08 R1 and the bike won't start. battery is charged... duno if it's a sensor thing or what but sometimes it starts sometimes not .. just turns over and over but doesn't fire.. any tips :D?

#3 ·
nice i just got the bodywork done and its the same paint scheme as your avitar.. well the battery is charged but it is a salvage bike that i'm trying to get on the road and i'm not a mechanic. when i 1st got the bike it would fire and then sometimes it wouldn't the engine light is on as well, i just did oil on it and gas i duno there are probably busted senors somewhere? i just don't why it was fire and now it's not at all? it tries turning over but then nothing.

#10 ·
It looks daunting, but it's easy.

Key off, kill switch "on". Hold both dash buttons (select and reset), turn key on, wait 8-10 seconds. "diag" should appear. Hold both buttons again (2 seconds) and you should a different menu pop up with #'s. If I remember right select scrolls forward through sections, reset scrolls backwards through sections. On the R6, I believe 'section' 60/61 shows fault codes, if any are active, they will blink and show what codes are present. Look up the code in the manual to see what its problem is. The R1 may also use a different section to list codes.

Look for the diagnostics mode/fault code table in the manual, it takes a bit of reading to decipher, but gets clearer quickly. Hopefully this helps you and isn't sending you on a goose chase.

#12 ·
A fully charged battery doesn't always mean the battery has sufficient cranking ability. As it's such an easy thing to check out, I'd recommend taking the battery to a battery shop/dealer (Not Canadian Tire -an actual dealer would do better) and have the battery load tested. Could be as easy as a worn out battery...

#15 · (Edited)
From 07 manual, page 8-36 it has step-by-step there (8-31 onward is the diagnostic information). When scrolling through diagnostics d61 / d62 look like the current/history of the code faults. Dunno how much damage you can do fiddling in there, make sure you understand each move you makem, i'm no mechanic, just like saving $ in the past and I ran across the diagnostic.

1. Turn the main switch to “OFF” and set the engine stop switch to “ON”.
2. Disconnect the wire harness coupler from the fuel pump. <------------ I have never done this to my r6, dunno if needed
3. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the main switch to
“ON”, and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds or more.

"All displays on the meter disappear except the odometer/trip meter/fuel reservoir trip meter/stop
watch displays.
• “dIAG” appears on the odometer/trip meter/fuel reservoir trip meter/stop watch LCD."

4. Press the “SELECT” button to select the diagnostic mode “dIAG”.
5. After selecting “dIAG”, simultaneously press the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons for 2 seconds
or more to activate the diagnostic mode. The diagnostic code number “d01” appears on the
odometer/trip meter/fuel reservoir trip meter/stop watch LCD.
6. Set the engine stop switch to “OFF”.
7. Select the diagnostic code number corresponding to the fault code number by pressing the
“SELECT” and “RESET” buttons.

R1 gods, they know pretty much anything r1 - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/index.php

#19 ·
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT WAS THE KEYYYY!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! when i got the bike it only came with one key so i bought a blank one off ebay and had it cut so i'v been using the new one last couple days and when i put the old key back in it fired up.. woowwwww i guess this new key is useless..

#21 ·
LOL! Dude, the R1 has a very expensive factory anti-theft computer in the dash, ignition key holder, and ECU. They are married together. You can only use the main key unless you figure out a way to bypass the anti-theft stuff.

#24 ·
dremel a slot in them and then use a slotted screwdriver to take them out!

#25 ·
Just saw your other thread. I thought you were talking removal here. Get new bolts for the mirrors.

#26 ·
few years later and this post still helped me. bought a 2012 R1 from kijiji, the guy told me how amazing he was since he is giving me the red key and its a custom racing key. the bike would not start without jumping it or going through hell. changed regulator, battery and was about to change stator as well, face dialed my brother and he asked me why am i using the red key, told him what the guy said and he basically explained the guy was an IDIOT. came up again, reads this thread, called my bro again and grabbed the black key and tried it and it started like a BEAUTY it is this bike. all that hassle all because of a show off trying to mark up his price. hope this will help someone just like me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.