BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched all the other threads about repacking exhausts, but I'm still having trouble removing the end cap on my exhaust. I've already drilled the rivets and punched the centers through, but the end cap won't budge. Anybody else repack a similar exhaust? Is there some type of sealant that's holding the end cap in there? any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
there is a sealant,take a razor blade and try and dig it out ,but its more likely that you dont have the rivets drilled out enough and they are binding on the cap .

if thats a muzzy
the baffle inside is not attached to either end so it should come apart easy

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Thats not the end cap???? it looks like the end that goes to the header....if it is it is harder to take it apart from that end.....the core slips into the end cap...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats not the end cap???? it looks like the end that goes to the header....if it is it is harder to take it apart from that end.....the core slips into the end cap...
yeah, my mistake. that pic is the end that goes to the header, I just didn't know what to call it. I tried removing the other end but it's not any easier.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a sealant,take a razor blade and try and dig it out ,but its more likely that you dont have the rivets drilled out enough and they are binding on the cap .

if thats a muzzy
the baffle inside is not attached to either end so it should come apart easy
I tried digging out as much of the sealant as I could, but it's pretty snug so it's difficult to get much out. The rivets are all removed and I tapped what was left of them through the holes. Does it take a lot of force to pull the cap off?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I just repacked my Muzzy's and what I did was sort of rock the header side back and forth which eventually loosened it. I used a rubber mallet to loosen it up as well.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
re-attach the muffler to the header pipe solidly and now with the rivets removed, start wiggling it and eventually it will come off.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Try what Purple says or if you have a vise wrap the can with a towel and wiggle n pull...they really dont come apart very easy..you have to break the glue seal plus the carbon and rust keeps them stuck...you have drilled and punched through every rivet???? then look in the hole to see how your progressing.....sometimes 2 people works while pulling tap with a rubber hammer...

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
It's never an easy job. But it may well be easier from the header end. At least there you can clamp it back onto the header and wiggle it around and pull on the outer can.

Don't bother trying to clamp anything in a vise though. Nothing on these things will resist crushing well enough to hold it while you do what is needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts