BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, well I went and got those new flushmounts from BK, got home and took of the upper fairing, no problem. Took our the ram air from the fairing and then removed the left turn signal no 2 problems.....

#1 the flush mount is not big enough to cover the hole in the fairing left by the old turn signal, but that's minor I can use the stock rubber mount in some way.....but still any ideas will be great....

#2 the connection on the flushmount is "male" and the thingy I am supposed to connect it too is also "male" WHAT DO I DO AND HOW ?

Bruce please call me, check your voice mail, let me know when you are free this week.....(case of larger is alredy in the trunk...:D)

I have attached a picture of the flushmount....

Also I did an oil change and for some reason I decided to rea what it says in the service manual....specifically it says do not tighten oil filter by hand use a oil filter torque wrench as desired "tightness" ? cannot be done my hand....I have done several oil changes and simply tightened the oil filter by hand never had a problem.....

Hey Ryan check your PM.....let me know when I can pick up the bulb and meet you....even without seeing it I am 75% ready to go for the rear integrated....thanks...

Thanks in advance folks....

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
I believe Bluestone had the same problem when installing his flushmounts as well.... I can't remember how he got around it, but I remember him saying he saying how much of a bitch it was cause you have to take off the whole top cowl on the kawis, and take apart the ram-air tubes and crap....

the oil filter, I used my hand.... i'm not gonna waste 50-80 bucks for a stupid wrench from the dealer.... no problems as of yet :) :) I heard dont have it too tight.... but not too loose as well....

S

·
0 Posts
why don't you try to spread the set of males slightly to make them female insert a solder or tape them really tight.or cut and splice females on.either way should work good luck.

B

·
0 Posts
If Bruce hasn't already called you than here's what i did, although my flushmounts are larger than yours.

I measured the spacing for the holes and then drilled them. If you're gonna do this, be very careful because on the inside of the fairing where the indentation is, the spacing works out so that the screws from the flushmounts come really close to where the plastic heads inwards, therefore making it impossible to use the washer. (know what i mean?)
My flushmounts just barely covered the whole indentations so i had no problems there. But i'm not sure about yours.
Anyway, i ended up drilling right through the screw holes through which the lense cover was attached by and relied upon just the nut to hold everything in place. So when i need to change a light bulb i'll need to take everything off. I wouldn't neccessarily recommend this way but if you can't find another way, that is an options.

As for the male female ends? I basically screwed up and have to get it sodered properly again so i'll leave that alone.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Sorry Farhad I got your message but I was quite busy this weekend. Any day you want this week I am free to give you and hand and get the whole integrator kit going. Just PM me which day and I will be free any time after 5 this week.

·
K1200S
255 Posts
I would think a hardware or electronic store would carry a male-male adapter. I'd try Home Depot or Radio Shack.

Just hand tighten your oil filter if you have space to get a firm grip. If not, then go to Canadian Tire and pick up wide spaced pliers. They are a good investment because sooner or later you'll need then to remove an oil filter when the engine is too hot to use your hands. However, be careful if you tighten by pliers - most people overtorque the oil filter for fear of leakage.

B

·
0 Posts
what's the danger in over-torquing the oil cap nut, other than breaking it off?

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Bluestone said:
what's the danger in over-torquing the oil cap nut, other than breaking it off?
I heard someone on SBN say that the oil wont be able to freely flow thru it if its too tight....

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Well, I just checked and Farhad is sleeping like a babe before work tonight.

But just so the rest of you know these aftermarket lights come equipped with the connectors that only fit the Enfield factory domestic model of 250 "Signature Edition" for restricted sale to local racers in the foothill district of the Himalayas........

All of which is to say that if they fit any bike I sure don't know which one it would be. I haven't seen those round bullet connectors since my old enduro bike back in the 70's. :rolleyes

What I did for my bike was cut the connector and a few inches of wire off the stock signalls and spliced that onto the wires from the new flushmounts. You can either do this with solder and heatshrink tubing or use the crimp style splice joiners. Just take some measurements to be sure the new bodge up is at least as long as the original stock stuff.

At any rate I think we should all give Farhad a hearty "Huzzah" for actually removing his fairing without apparent mishap. And if you know his history then you'll realize what a monumentous event has just occured .......... :D :flip

·
[Oo=vw=oO]
761 Posts
There should be male to male adapters availiable at stores like Candadian Tire or Home Depot. I remember using them when hooking up car stereos.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
these are a new type of flushmounts as you saw at the store, they have no drill holes or equiped for that, they come with 2 sided special bond stuff....very simple, as far as I can see, it's just mounting the flushmount on the fairing so it doesn't look like "I" did it but rather a professional job....

I plan on cutting the rubber mounting into an oblong shape (x/y axis) and into a trapezoid (horizantal look z-axis) and then try to mount it....don't want water coming in either....

Bluestone said:
If Bruce hasn't already called you than here's what i did, although my flushmounts are larger than yours.

I measured the spacing for the holes and then drilled them. If you're gonna do this, be very careful because on the inside of the fairing where the indentation is, the spacing works out so that the screws from the flushmounts come really close to where the plastic heads inwards, therefore making it impossible to use the washer. (know what i mean?)
My flushmounts just barely covered the whole indentations so i had no problems there. But i'm not sure about yours.
Anyway, i ended up drilling right through the screw holes through which the lense cover was attached by and relied upon just the nut to hold everything in place. So when i need to change a light bulb i'll need to take everything off. I wouldn't neccessarily recommend this way but if you can't find another way, that is an options.

As for the male female ends? I basically screwed up and have to get it sodered properly again so i'll leave that alone.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Bruce, I think I am going to go to Canadian Tire and get a male to male adapter.....tomorrow morning....

Hey man, the only problem I have ever had was tht first time with the Spark plug...

I am a GRADUATE OF BCIT's MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE COURSE ! LOL....:D:D:D

BMatthews said:
Well, I just checked and Farhad is sleeping like a babe before work tonight.

But just so the rest of you know these aftermarket lights come equipped with the connectors that only fit the Enfield factory domestic model of 250 "Signature Edition" for restricted sale to local racers in the foothill district of the Himalayas........

All of which is to say that if they fit any bike I sure don't know which one it would be. I haven't seen those round bullet connectors since my old enduro bike back in the 70's. :rolleyes

What I did for my bike was cut the connector and a few inches of wire off the stock signalls and spliced that onto the wires from the new flushmounts. You can either do this with solder and heatshrink tubing or use the crimp style splice joiners. Just take some measurements to be sure the new bodge up is at least as long as the original stock stuff.

At any rate I think we should all give Farhad a hearty "Huzzah" for actually removing his fairing without apparent mishap. And if you know his history then you'll realize what a monumentous event has just occured .......... :D :flip

·
K1200S
255 Posts
BMatthews said:
that only fit the Enfield factory domestic model of 250 "Signature Edition" for restricted sale to local racers in the foothill district of the Himalayas........ :D :flip
I had a '94 Enfield Bullet 500....worst bike I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Almost40 said:

I had a '94 Enfield Bullet 500....worst bike I've ever owned.
Really? I'm curious, what kind of things were wrong with it?

I know that they were only meant to be taken slowly down the street and had absolutley no sporting aspirations but I had heard that they were tractor reliable.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Well, I'm late for the party, but here's my 0.02: I got an oil filter wrench from Daytona for $5. It's a simple ring of aluminum with a handle, nuthin' fancy, but it sure makes removing the old filter a breeze when then pipes are hot. I don't know where they sell them now, and there's no brand name on it.

For the flush mounts, cut and splice. You can always resplice if you replace the stockers.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hu99 said:
Well, I'm late for the party, but here's my 0.02: I got an oil filter wrench from Daytona for $5. It's a simple ring of aluminum with a handle, nuthin' fancy, but it sure makes removing the old filter a breeze when then pipes are hot. I don't know where they sell them now, and there's no brand name on it.

For the flush mounts, cut and splice. You can always resplice if you replace the stockers.

Well I got that oil filter wrench, after last year's debacle featuring me, my oil filter and a huge screwdriver, until manny came over and enlightened me....I bought one at Canadian tire....no the service manual calls for a "oil filter torque wrench" ??? I dunno just did it by hand.....

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You don't need a torque wrench for the oil filter, that's just Kawasaki's way of increasing the business for their dealers and covering their asses if you do f*** it up. Just about a ¼ turn after the filter gasket makes contact with the engine and you'll be okay. Test before putting the fairing back on, and Bob's yer uncle!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts