BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
David
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The USB port on my laptop has just died, which is a bummer cos I use it for my printer, mouse, camera and cd-writer. It has been a bit loose for a while but I just ignored it (stupid!).

As it's connected directly to the mother board I guess it's pretty serious if it has dislodged?!

Anyway, anyone know anyone I can take the computer to and have it checked out without paying a pound of flesh for it?

(the computer is a Toshiba Tecra 8000 and is a couple of years old).

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Cambiebiker.

·
Registered
417 Posts
cambiebiker said:
The USB port on my laptop has just died.

Anyway, anyone know anyone I can take the computer to and have it checked out without paying a pound of flesh for it?

(the computer is a Toshiba Tecra 8000 and is a couple of years old).
You sure it's the USB port hardware but not Windows itself ?
If you sure it's the hardware problem, check out TLD computer @ 604-272-6000 in Richmond. They are one of the authorized Toshiba repair service depot in town. Talk to the service people and ask for the price, mind you, $$$ though.

otherway is to get a USB PC card, and from there you get 2 USB port. cost roughly $129+ tax, something like that.

I will first check if it's the Windows problem first though.

Hope this helps.

·
David
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed

Xenz, thanks for the tip. It was a hardware problem and I decided to try and identify the source. I opened her up and found that four of the six little pins that connect the port to the mother board were bent (i guess due to the constant misuse and abuse). I removed the port, gently straightened the pins, anchored it back into place and fired her up AND IT WORKED! :eek

Cambiebiker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts