BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
That shine guy
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a supermoto style bike and have been looking at whats out there.
I have ridden a DRZ400 before and it was a fun bike but I was wanting to pick up a Yamaha but am not seeing much from them other than 250's. Someone educate me plz!

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
The only factory street legal Yammy is the 250 at the mo. And it's on par with the DRZ in terms of performance and reliability. Honda has a 250 as well.
The Euros are the performance option - Husqvarna 450/510/511, KTM 690, Aprilia 550.
What kind of riding you want to do? Street? Kart tracks? 50/50 off-road/pavement?
The stickies here are a good place to start: http://supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?46-Street-Tarders&

·
That shine guy
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
My concern with the 250 was that I'm a larger guy (240 but working my way back down to 180 ;) ) so I wanted to make sure there was enough to get my big ass around.
I'm not looking for performance outright as I have the R1 if that's what I'm after, just something for some fun. I recently bought a place in the Fraser Valley and there are a lot of cool roads up here and many of them are dirt or in poor shape so I don't want to take the R1 exploring.
I currently ride street only but grew up riding dirt bikes so the idea of riding off-road is not foreign to me But I have not done so in a number of years. I wouldn't mind taking it to the local kart track where I have watched some other small bikes running around.
For now the bike would be just for blasting around where I live, checking out trails and having some fun. 50/50 street/dirt sort of thing.

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
^ and you can't break it :D

i've seen guys rip on those things (DRZ), the ones that know how but at 240 it may be pushing it. though some like Fastn50 may argue otherwise.

·
That shine guy
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, at my current weight it may move a little sluggish. Not worried about top end speed, just want it to be able to commute on to work on the odd day and have some fun in the trails and stuff. Love exploring places and I think the SM style bike would be great for that.

The DRZ is looking like the best (from factory) equipped bike. Would love to have a Yamaha SM but it looks to be more expensive than the DRZ to purchase and then there is the added cost to equip with lights and make it legal to ride on and off road.

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
the 250 sucks. get a DRZ. it has way better aftermarket support, and makes 50% more torque.
+1000000000000000000000.

I test rode the Yamaha 250 it was GUTLESS compared to the DRZ and that is not saying much, cause it's gutless too.

My 250 klx would have smoked a Yamaha 250 sm... and all it had was a pipe, airbox mod and sprockets changed. And IT was slow as FAkkk.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
You are coming from an R1. The DRZ will seem VERY slow and powerless.

I miss mine. A lot. What a great little bike and it can do everything you want. You just have to change the tank to get range. It goes "fast enough".

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
True story:
240? You're a lightweight! ;)
250 is gutless...on a highway. I spent 3 weeks ripping around the "roads", footpaths and animal trails of Kenya on a Honda XL250 Baja. Had a blast!!!
My regular rides are a VFR800 and a BMW F800GS. When I got back from Africa, I bought a Ninja 250R to build a track bike for GMR. I've put on about 4500 km riding around the city & West Van streets...having an effin blast!!!
I am seriously considering flogging the GS and getting a Honda 250 Dual Sport but maybe switching to sumo wheels. Why? Because in the city and trails: what a blast!!!
You've got the R1 for seriously scaring yourself. If you want a fun ride for the city & trails I wouldn't hesitate to get the 250.

·
That shine guy
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't expect much power from a sub 600 class bike just don't want to do the "come on, come on you can do it" while riding up a hill or something haha.
Been watching a lot of vlogers that ride supermoto and it's got be hooked. I live out in Agassiz so I see loads of back roads and dirt paths that would be fun to just poke around on but taking the R1 could be asking for trouble.
The guy that I have been watching has both a 250 yam and a drz400sm and they both seem to do well for him but he's near 80lb lighter than me haha.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I weigh 160 and the fastest I've been able to get a KLX250 stock gearing was 140 on the Port Mann, the DRZ will pull 155 stock gearing. Are they comfortable for even a minute? No. Around town? Fuck yeah. Maybe look at a KTM big bore?

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Locally, there's not a lot out there for +400cc sumos. These are both great bikes; the Husky is priced *OK* and betting the Husaberg's owner is betting on the rarity of the bike (awesome 70-degree engine, great street ride. Own one myself).

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/4696347485.html
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/4696347485.html

The DRZ still looks like your best bet. Rock-solid engines, cheaper insurance, it may be heavier and down on power to the Euros, but you can still rail on it. Lot more available locally, too.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
I think the huskys are grenades. nice when they are running, but parts take FOREVER and are bloody expensive. If you can find a KTM 690SMC, that's got ooooodles of power, but again, KTM parts = $$$$

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't think Husky has a Canadian distrubuter (?)

DRZ for the win, unless you're racing, it's a useful machine. Relatively inexpensive, parts are available, has enough power to take you anywhere you want to go, already set up "supermoto"...

·
Registered
832 Posts

DRZ for the win, unless you're racing, it's a useful machine. Relatively inexpensive, parts are available, has enough power to take you anywhere you want to go, already set up "supermoto"...
Yeah but they suck. Average DRZ engine life:

3000km - oil change
20,000km - new timing chain, rings

Don't be fooled. I got my DRZ at a very reasonable price but they're all overpriced used. By the way the DRZ has no highway power and whenever you decide to venture onto the highway it sounds like your engine is going to fall apart.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep I had a DRZ and it is indeed a tractor. I used to keep my mirrors adjusted so I could watch for parts falling off on the highway. None ever did but the electrics were crap and if you tossed it the bushes it was a pig to start.
A fellow I used to ride with a had a newer Husqvarna and it was poorly built, parts did fall off his bike lol.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Might as well get used to idea that no 400cc thumper is going to be good on the highway... get a different bike.

Most used bikes are overpriced, put 17" rims and a brake on them, moreso...

3k oilchange... oh well

I know people that have over that mileage in the dirt, still going... Can be a really fun bike (within realistic expectations:)

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
International Motorsports carry the new huskys, which are basically rebadged Husaberg/KTMs. Not quite the same as the BMW huskys ...
And I can think of a couple really fast guys who race DRZs, even beating guys with race-bred bikes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Might as well get used to idea that no 400cc thumper is going to be good on the highway... get a different bike.

Most used bikes are overpriced, put 17" rims and a brake on them, moreso...

3k oilchange... oh well

I know people that have over that mileage in the dirt, still going... Can be a really fun bike (within realistic expectations:)
Hey that's not true. I had a CBR250R that got way better mileage than a DRZ and it was a 250 thumper that was constantly wrung out on the highway. DRZ's are just underengineered. It is reported that sometimes your crank balancer will fall off and that your front sprocket is also prone to fall off during takeoff. Also 20k for a timing chain is stupid, suzuki's tensioner still hasn't been fixed and it's been 16 years.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
International Motorsports carry the new huskys, which are basically rebadged Husaberg/KTMs. Not quite the same as the BMW huskys ...
And I can think of a couple really fast guys who race DRZs, even beating guys with race-bred bikes.
Good for Husqvarna, went from Husqvarna to Electrolux to Cagiva to BMW and finally(?) to KTM, who might bring the brand back closer to it's heritage. (At least the motorcycle one)

I'll bet there are some fast DRZ's out there... almost for sure they are not stock, allthough a great rider could make one go pretty good (I hope)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts