BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you plumbing savvy people out there, I would appreciate some help with a question that's hopefully easy to answer if you know what you're doing. Can I update the following tap/faucet in my tub without opening up the wall? And what are the two silver round things on the wall beneath the faucet?

Thanks for your help :) 2015-02-25 10.29.19.jpg 2015-02-25 10.29.24.jpg

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
The two discs are from an old 2 tap system..if you look behind where the faucets are there should be an access panel either in a wall or closet..You do not need to open the bathroom side of the wall..But if you are updating I would remove those discs and either replace the tiles or put a larger faceplate over the new taps that will cover those holes..But this is all depending that the taps were installed by someone who did it with a bit of skill...you wont know until you look at it from behind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm ok - thank you. Unfortunately it's in an apartment so I can't get into there from any other way but through this wall if I have to see what's behind there.... but that's very helpful- thanks =)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I did but I had to open the wall behind, in the hallway. If you are using a torch I suggest you cover all the smoke alarm systems. It was a bit of a challenge. I suggest you buy a top of the line plumbing fixtures. I had a journeyman plumber but he still called in backup. I did replace some tiles. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Must open wall to change out the tapset/diverter. The two round covers below will have shutoff valves behind them (so you can change washers).

The tapset/diverter/faucet is mounted to the framing inside the wall, plumbing connected to it... there is no way to replace that setup without opening the wall and shutting off the water (H +C) for that riser...

Good luck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You are about to embark on an adventure of a lifetime.

Who gets so lucky as to get an access panel? I had to cut a big hole in a closet wall.

I did all the plumbing in my place except for the new shower and corresponding plumbing. This is the one place you don't want a f*ckup. And the plumber picked out the hardware. No way was he putting any cheap shit in there.

I come from a long line of plumbers and carpenters (sarcasm). My Dad literally ripped the wall apart around bathtub taps to fix a leak. Then he kinda taped it up afterwards.
Another time he hacksawed the exit pipe of our toilet to get at a blockage. Then he blacktaped it up.

I had to take over home repairs at a very young age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you updating for esthetics? That old faucet should be rebuildable...
Yes - it is mainly esthetics - I've never heard of faucets being rebuildable?

Thanks everyone else for the tips and suggestions - all very helpful for sure... I'm afraid it's starting to look like it is just as much work as I thought it would be - haha.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
New cartridges (valve stems), new valve seats and a new diverter should screw into the old fixture casting, if you can find the parts (?)

·
lover of twins
6,093 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts