BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading for a few days now, thought I might speak up and introduce myself. I don't have a bike just yet, hopefully I will soon.
If I'm not riding by the end of this season then certainly next! I still have to get licensed, insured, and get the bike and gear.
But I've at least crossed the first line, which was doing some serious thinking and deciding whether this is something I wanna get into.
Anyway, hope this isn't flamebait - I noticed a recent weight poll.
Now, I'm not Canadian born, I've lived here half my life, so my body type isn't your average North American. I was born and raised in South Africa, living there until I was 9.
Clocking in at a modest 5'6"-ish and floating between 110-120 lbs, and yes, I'm a male, damnit. Don't hate me because my metabolism won't allow me to gain weight. :surrender
I think my first bike is going to be a Kawasaki ZZR-250. How will my light (feather?) weight affect my ride? Will it be advantageous, or will I find it easier to lose traction?
:thewave

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The bike is heavy enough and with a rider on it, it should have no problem with traction. You will have a bit of an advantage of being easier on the bike's engine when compared to someone who's 200 pounds and will likely be capable of going just a little faster but that's not really a big deal.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
:flip Welcome aboard!

·
I have the addiction
424 Posts
Welcome aboard.
I suggest put aside some money and take a riding course.
It might seem a little pricey, but I assure you as a "newbie", its one of the best investments you can make.
Knowledge and experience is one of the few things in life that never loses it's value.
Good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
dont waste the money on250 get 600 hundred you willgrow out of 250 in a couple months.take it slow though you wont be dissapoited in your dicision in a few months.. just my thought i started on the 900 glad i did 27000 km last year and still adding to the kms so have fun and be safe

·
Registered
487 Posts
BigWilly said:
dont waste the money on250 get 600 hundred you willgrow out of 250 in a couple months.take it slow though you wont be dissapoited in your dicision in a few months.. just my thought i started on the 900 glad i did 27000 km last year and still adding to the kms so have fun and be safe

yah my thoughts exactly, ive got a virago 250 in my garage (not mine) and its got 350kms on it, n she doesnt wanna ride it anymore, shes been regretting buying it ever since she hoped on my bike....so if i were u, id just go straight to a 600 n call it a day

·
I have the addiction
424 Posts
SV650
Reliable and easy to sell when your ready to move on to a bigger one.
Also a great track bike.

@ Mao get off the computer and put the R6 back together
riding season is here.
I'm off on the Duc. today.

·
Registered
487 Posts
scudafi said:
SV650
Reliable and easy to sell when your ready to move on to a bigger one.
Also a great track bike.

@ Mao get off the computer and put the R6 back together
riding season is here.
I'm off on the Duc. today.
damn u....i know i know...still waiting for fairing stay n all that

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
:flip :flip

·
Go big or go home
271 Posts
Welcome fellow South African.Been here since age 13 and also 5'6" tall.What city did you live in?I'm from Johannesburg.

R

·
0 Posts
wow you are skinny...i wish i had a higher metabolism...i have to work out to keep my weight down >_> genetics RIPPED ME OFF...my dad is toned and decent sized

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mach1 said:
Clocking in at a modest 5'6"-ish and floating between 110-120 lbs, and yes, I'm a male, damnit. Don't hate me because my metabolism won't allow me to
:firemad :2guns :gun :knife

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome...take the course as suggested before, invest in gear (as you mentioned), take it easy, and finally good choice on reading the forum and deciding not to go for the new r6 or r1 so no you wouldn't get flamed. If only most keyboard frenzy newbs were like you. Enjoy and hope to see you on one of the rides.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the positive comments and welcomes!

I know you all mean well by suggesting something with a bit more power, but I've already decided and my decision is based on the fact that I don't want more power than I can handle. I'll ride the 250 for a season or two and then swap it out for something bigger. I really don't think I'll get bored, there's so much to learn, and while I do think I could keep my ego in check, cranking a 600 on an empty street could see me getting into some serious trouble, so maybe I'll just supress the ability rather than the urge. Kevin, Johannesburg too! Perhaps we've met, I do know a Kevin from South Africa. Do you know Cindy from STA?
Scudafi, I'm putting aside $3500-ish for the bike, $2000 for the gear, and $600 for the course. I did my research and I've decided that's a good amount to spend, especially considering I'm potentially putting aside money that might determine whether I live or die in the next few years. :eek
BigWilly, you of all people should know that a 250 bought and sold (and babied!) at the right times can yield a profit! Certainly not a waste of money.
I've already decided to go to PRS, however if anyone can give me a reason not to (and I have yet to find one!!), please do. I've only heard good about these guys, I'd like a fuller picture.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
:flip :flip :flip Welcome! :flip :flip :flip

wait until after the course to buy your bike.
you'll have a better idea of what works for you after that.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Mach 1

I seriously think you should buy my bike. A Yamaha FZR 250. If you look up my bike on the sell section, I list all the reasons why this bike is the best beginner bike.

I'm 5'6" 132 myself and the bike gives pretty damn good power.

Selling for 3k.

http://bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67819

If you buy this bike, it works out nicely. 3k for bike and 5 hun for insurance for the entire year. Send me a msg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts