BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somebody is selling me a damaged 2000 red Yamaha R1 w/20000km for $5000.He got in a accident going 80km/h and wiped out. He had no comprehensive and doesnt have enough money to pay to fix it.

It has no left fairing and the left upper light is cracked. there is electrical wirings that got damaged on the same side. the tank has a 3 inch dent and scratch and the a gash on the pipe. He said He had a mechanic check it out and he said it costs 3000 to fix with originall yamaha parts. Do you think that is a fair price? do you know if I can fix it cheaper without OEM parts.

he told me that the engine is still good and steering geometry is fine. what is the best way you think I should go about this? do you think its worth it for me to buy it and fix it?

If anybody can help me with this that will be great.
thanks guys/

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
even if that guy was your best friend i'd still go for a mechanical inspection. there are probably certain things not apparent to the nakked eye.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Personally, I would not buy it. 20k on a 2000 with wrecked plastic...no dice here. ICBC writes off bikes with that kinda damage. If at the very least, do what Miteorite suggests and have it checked out. Call around and price the plastic yourself. OPP I believe will probably hook you up for around $800 no paint. Remember that these are fibreglass fairings without provisions for lights and stuff. They will have to be modified to house the lights. There may be alot of work in front of you if you buy it.

Remember, someone will tell you anything you want to hear to relieve themselves of a headache.

atom

G

·
0 Posts
oem parts are expensive,i have checked numerous icbc write offs and repaired a few,there are alot of little things usually,those things add upn a hurry,i would get it looked at.make a solid list of whats broken,see if its worth it,screws ,brackets barends all the small stuff we did a sv 650 looked good but cost 2800.00 to fix wheel was bent both rotors etc.just check it out.:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would have it put on an allinment rack to check for frame/fork damage even like 2mm out makes a difference and u cant c that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anybody a mechanic or anybody you know that has time can come to check it out tomorrow? Its in surrey
I'll willing to pay. thanks

·
K1200S
255 Posts
My guess is that it will cost you about $9000 after everything is fixed with OEM parts - and that doesn't include any frame/fork repair. I suggest you buy a lower mileage used R1 for $10K.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Remember the bike went down going 80km/h, that is pretty fast--not to mention people tend to underestimate their own speed, especially when they are trying to unload a bike. So be careful and get it checked out, get some estimates before spending any money. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
even if it only costs $3000 to repair like he said (and it will probably be more) it isnt THAT great of a deal when you could talk down someone advertising around 10k...then again, you are probably more mechanically inclined by myself and all that damage scares me off because i'd be at the mercy of the mechanic.....

my .02

J

·
0 Posts
Definately get it inspected by a mechanic. Also, go and right down every single thing that is damaged or adversely affected by the off, pay extra attention to those little things like, scratched lenses and other things minour road rash. They may not affect performance or drivability but if you ever sell it yourself, they will make a huge difference because they will show it was crashed,
You may save yourself 1k after repairs over an uncrashed R1, but you may lose 2k on resale cause it has been crashed.

P

·
0 Posts
You could fix it cheaper if you find the parts yourself

USED red/white/black parts sell for less money than blue parts. There are often mint condition body panels etc... on eBay. Throw a clean but used factory exhaust on it and the repair cost would probalby come in at $2000 CAN or less. Think about it this way, the tank is the biggest ticket item. Clean red ones sell on eBay for about $200-$250 US$ Headlights $150 US$, upper fairings $175 US$, tailpieces $125. That's about $1120 converted to CAN$. $880 CAN$ should cover anything else if you bolt everything up yourself.

A word of caution, the $3000 quoted repair cost may be a little low. A brand new factory tank is over $1000 CAN$ by itself. and new upper fairing is somewhere north of $650 CAN$. Mid panels are more than $400 CAN$. That's about $2100 CAN$ already and that's without the headlight, exhaust, tailpiece etc...

Do your research...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts