BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somebody is selling me a damaged 2000 red Yamaha R1 w/20000km for $5000.He got in a accident going 80km/h and wiped out. He had no comprehensive and doesnt have enough money to pay to fix it.

It has no left fairing and the left upper light is cracked. there is electrical wirings that got damaged on the same side. the tank has a 3 inch dent and scratch and the a gash on the pipe. He said He had a mechanic check it out and he said it costs 3000 to fix with originall yamaha parts. Do you think that is a fair price? do you know if I can fix it cheaper without OEM parts.

he told me that the engine is still good and steering geometry is fine. what is the best way you think I should go about this? do you think its worth it for me to buy it and fix it?

If anybody can help me with this that will be great.
thanks guys/

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
why dont you save yourself the hassle of repairing the bike and buy a non-heavily damaged R1 for the same price it would cost to get that one back up and running? thats what I would do anyhow.

·
Track Day Wh0re
505 Posts
That sounds ok with the exception of:
"... there is electrical wirings that got damaged on the same side."

I'm not sure what he means by this...

Is the bike rideable? You can also bring it to a dealer to get it checked out if your not feeling totally comfortable.

My advice: Dont fix it with OEM parts (maybe with the exception of the tank). I did the exact same thing on my R6 and crashed it 3 weeks later. Buy race fairings, aftermarket clip ons, race stays, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
CG's right about the price not being any sort of bargan for that sort of damage. If you could deal him down to 4500 it might not be too bad.

Now if you REALLY want to save money talk him down to 4500 and then make a STREETFIGHTER out of that puppy. You could do the whole thing for the bike cost and another 1000 or less. And that would include a used but not dented tank.

But that's just me.....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Used R1's go for $7500. and that is no accidents or damage.

damaged bike turned into race bike? usually around $5000, since it does not have OEM stuff on it.

$5000 to pay for a wrecked up R1? too steep man.

J

·
0 Posts
used r1's do not go for 7500, at least 9000, i say go for it if theres no frame or for damage. It could look way better than stock for a couple g's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts