BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quite a newbie and very careful not to get carried away riding. I keep hearing these guys saying/bragging that they've gone up to 270km/h on some highway. I am thinking you must be crazy because i noticed the GP riders' top speed on a track is often 270, 280. If they are not crazy then in my opinion they are just exaggarating. Is it common that u guy reach that kind of speed?

X

·
0 Posts
Sure you can reach an indicated 270 - 280 (yes they're crazy) but it doesn't mean you are actually going 270-280..

·
Registered
634 Posts
well a busa is said to do 200 mph which would be 320 km/hr so I dont doubt its possible. You'll also get all kind of people embellishing a bit or forgetting that indicated isnt always acurate

-arai-

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey

About the speed thing and how accurate it is, my buddy is a cop and one day he grabbed a rader gun and we went out onto the back roads and my speedominater was reading 270km on four passes and each time the gun clocked me at 252, 255,259, they always offset the bikes speedominater by about 15km from what I have heard through motorbike people.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
I've gone crazy stupid fast...like last summer, flying with Evil-E up to kelowna late one night...on the long ass stretch of road that just goes straight forever with ..*no residential areas, schoolzones, or otherwise overly hazardous areas*, I couldn't resist the curiosity. What could this bike do? I am fairly confident in the bikes control, (and brakes :D ) so without hesitation I nailed it wide open and reved that bitch through every gear, accelerating very quickly to a very high rate of speed.
And I quote Hunter S. Thompson:
"It will always be better to be shot out of a canon, rather than being squeezed out of a tube; And this is why God invented fast motorcycles"
I watched as the tach slowly climbed towards the red in 6th...it took a conscious effort to break the focus and look down at the speedo..indicated 275+ (take that as you will, prolly' like 260ish) ..just as I run outta road and have to slow to 200ish for the next sweeper....

when you feel you have control of the bike you'll eventually cave into the curiosity as well.

/*(gee, who's gonna be first to say "curiosity killed the cat"? hmmm? anyone?.. yeah......but you'z was thinkin' it!)*/

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Re: Hey

Duuk-Tsarith said:
About the speed thing and how accurate it is, my buddy is a cop and one day he grabbed a rader gun and we went out onto the back roads and my speedominater was reading 270km on four passes and each time the gun clocked me at 252, 255,259, they always offset the bikes speedominater by about 15km from what I have heard through motorbike people.
Keep in mind that offset is a %.

I was doing 100km/h (indicated) and my GPS said I was doing 93km/h.

L

·
0 Posts
Re: Hey

Duuk-Tsarith said:
your buddy shouldn't have done that, taking out the radar gun like that...AND allowing you to go that fast

bad cop?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
Re: Re: Hey

littlejim said:

your buddy shouldn't have done that, taking out the radar gun like that...AND allowing you to go that fast

bad cop?
more like COOL cop. fug.

a BAD COP would be the cop who pulled over my buddy. the cop went off about how he "loves when bikers run because then he can hopefully have the opportunity to RUN THEM OFF THE ROAD!" Yes, this was a Vancouver cop. Apparently he boasted of "ALLREADY PARALYZING ATLEAST ONE SPORTBIKE RIDER!" He then proceeded to follow my friend from kitsalano to surrey. (all well below the speedlimit, my buddy says he was scared shitless what this ass with a badge might do!)

that's a bad cop!

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
My Sigma is calibrated quite nicely and it indicates top speed in memory. It showed 308kph after a run to Baker. I took the stock speedo around 300 last night on the freeway, but the Sigma aint workin' right now.

D

·
0 Posts
i've seen 270 indicated, and i had a gps on for a run up to kelowna. that one read 240.

·
518 Posts
270 indicated on my old 96 carbie.... 250 almost daily on my old 99 tiller... 250 not even trying on my 99 750.....

once you've gone to top speed, and then back down to the speed limit it feels like you can get off and run next to your bike.......

allthough if you had an engine malfunction or a flat at these speeds you'd be done for sure....
knock on wood... DAMN my bikes made of aluminum...

B

·
0 Posts
doug? you?!?! I just can't picture you givin 'er that fast, sorry. I don't doubt you did it, just seems so out of character.

I've gone up to an indicated 250 and still had a little left. my bike is exactly the same as dna's, so I imagine my top speed would be close. I haven't really been on a stretch of road where I felt I had enough room to go that fast. besides, going fast in a straight line doesn't really turn my crank. I prefer corner speed.

G

·
0 Posts
Here, here Bender - cornering is where it's at! For me anyway, I did have my 96 Gixxer 750 to an indicated 275 once and 240 to 250 fairly often. I love the acceleration up to speed but sitting there at those speeds is too draining for me -'hope there isn't cop coming, hope a deer doesn't pop out of the woods etc....'
Acceleration and cornering are too much fun tho!!!

And you don't need a whole lot of road to get to those speeds
Couple of guys I know would do indicated 290+ all the time on their 'Busa & R1, definite top speed addicts.

Later
:rider

D

·
0 Posts
bender said:
doug? you?!?! I just can't picture you givin 'er that fast, sorry. I don't doubt you did it, just seems so out of character.

I've gone up to an indicated 250 and still had a little left. my bike is exactly the same as dna's, so I imagine my top speed would be close. I haven't really been on a stretch of road where I felt I had enough room to go that fast. besides, going fast in a straight line doesn't really turn my crank. I prefer corner speed.
you missed a great ride to harrison bender :)

thats where i saw 270 indicated.

i am all about the speed. that and the twisties. i am not up for the stunts.

T

·
0 Posts
GP riders go 300km/h on a front straight that is probably less than a quarter mile (or about there). For the average street bike to reach that speed will take a while and longer stretch of road. And that's the difference.

And just for the record, i've seen +270km/h "indicated" in my car on Knight St. bridge.:devillook

tc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts