BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pressure to maintain the speed limit status quo came from many groups with their own perspectives (BC Trucking Assn, RCMP, Chiefs of Police, Ministry of AG etc). Some prefer to maintain highway speed limit hypocrisy based on long held beliefs that have been disproven. Either way, the back of their arguments has been broken repeatedly and it's our (SENSE BC) intention to see the mindset change right across the country. Driving / riding with purpose and proper lane discipline will go a long way in making roads safer (along with better training). Here's one radio host who said some things about us and here is how I handled it. Frank Stanford editorial rebuttal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
None of them ever had any scientific study evidence to prove otherwise just knee jerk reactions from ill informed narrow minded people like Stanford.
Now on to getting the training and testing system up to snuff to keep the incompetent off the road and reform the enforcement strategies to punish poor drivers and get them off the road as well.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,829 Posts
Have you already prepared a response for the pundits who are no doubt eagerly awaiting the first 'inevitable' numbnutz to wrap themselves around a pole, just so they can scream and point, "look, see! toldyaso! speed kills!" ?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I tried to listen to the rebuttal but I couldn't. The sheer amount of stupid literally hurt.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
The pressure to maintain the speed limit status quo came from many groups with their own perspectives (BC Trucking Assn, RCMP, Chiefs of Police, Ministry of AG etc). Some prefer to maintain highway speed limit hypocrisy based on long held beliefs that have been disproven. Either way, the back of their arguments has been broken repeatedly and it's our (SENSE BC) intention to see the mindset change right across the country. Driving / riding with purpose and proper lane discipline will go a long way in making roads safer (along with better training). Here's one radio host who said some things about us and here is how I handled it. Frank Stanford editorial rebuttal.
congrats and thank you on the success you've had so far, nicely done.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you already prepared a response for the pundits who are no doubt eagerly awaiting the first 'inevitable' numbnutz to wrap themselves around a pole, just so they can scream and point, "look, see! toldyaso! speed kills!" ?
No, and frankly you've got to hope like hell that we don't have an extreme winter or two, nor any kind of economic boom (which typically corresponds to more traffic and more crashes) over the next two years.

However, just remember one thing: the speed limit hikes, for the most part, on these rural highways still do not reflect the travel speeds already prevalent by the safe majority of motorists.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
not gonna sit here and listen to a fumbling idiot who has no business behind the wheel...

i can say with a big grin on my face i was out there on the 1st weekend of the new speed limits and am convinced they
have done the right thing... there was no madness, no evil knievel out there gunning for a motorhome, no bullshit, aside
from one or two numb-nutts who would not move off the fast lane even though it was obvious they should....

i was pretty damn impressed to see how easy everybody took to it, mostly cause it became obvious they have all been
driving at those speeds all along.... and at the end of the day that is what makes it safer!!

let traffic move, and it will find its way; nobody is out to hurt themselves, all wanna get home to dinner... /end

·
Registered
904 Posts
You can't fix stupid :(
That broadcast was a tough listen too. Kinda surprised he didnt scream something like " GET OFF MY LAWN "

·
41 over!
1,261 Posts
Very well done. I really enjoyed the tone with which you made your points - very evenhanded: you clearly came off as the voice of reason. Nice work!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Does anyone recall if the new limits in place for the July long weekend, or not quite yet? If they were in place, what was the body count, and what was it compared to years past?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
For those of you who are not wanting to listen to 50 something minutes of this.The tape ends a little under 20 minutes. I might be wrong on this but could not find any sound in my random check beyond that point.

Good listening up to that point BTW.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
I am liking you more now Ian.

What I should say though, is that this group here probably represents that 15% top end value... meaning the most dangerous, as with the slowest drivers. We also have some
of those on here as well.

I interpret speed signs by adding 40kph and knocking it back 10kph to avoid the impound.

Those guys are fishing BIG time for impounds... I'm surprised this stuff is still going on, and it's not come before the supreme court.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I too m surprised the impound laws have held so long, more surprised that the seizure of personal property at the side of the road (lids) has not been shot down.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
I too m surprised the impound laws have held so long, more surprised that the seizure of personal property at the side of the road (lids) has not been shot down.
Well, if it was so clearly unconstitutional or a violation of your rights, you'd think it would have already been there. I'm not aware of any supreme court cases pending on this at the moment.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but i would think its pretty obvious the speed limit increases were in the pipeline...

would make sense to scare people into not doing 165kph on the open roads, which we all know is very easy for most modern sport car/bike (s)

as always with anything, gov't goes to far and they truly believe they're providing a public service by ridding you of your property... alas the argument
falls flat on its face now that the 'end of world' impound speech mr popo has been handing down turns out to be just 'road side tax at work'

needless to say mr popo himself was doing 120kph, yeah... so now the speed limit is 110 in the exact same area... sure man i believe you, we're all gonna die...

wankers.. that is all...

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
I really, really, really dislike it when the executive branches try to influence legislature either openly or through their backdoor beurocratic channels.

Chiefs of police should enforce laws, not try to make or change them.
Only reason they were all up in arms is the reduced revenue.

In short... wankers.

·
Registered
18,876 Posts
Made Man... everyone has motives, including you. Most folks doing the job, know what needs to be done more than does the management.

Therefore, when the police all talk about what they think should be done, their boss speaks up on their behalf to the government.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts