BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
..get to the bat bike!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't write on here that often, but I had such a disappointing encounter with Holeshot Motors in Langley that I had to post.

Basically a month ago I was looking at buying a Honda CBR 600 and brought the bike into Holeshot for a pre-purchase inspection.

The bike had been sitting in this guys garage for 2 years, so when talked to the mechanic I clearly stated that I was concerned there might be issues with the bike for having it sit so long without being winterized. That being said I got the pre-purchase inspection and a compression test which came out to $200. The mechanic said the bike checked out fine and that the bike was mechanically sound and gave me the inspection report.

Fast forward a month later and my bike breaks down - rust in the tank so the fuel system is shot. $1200 bill to fix it up. So I call Holeshot to talk to the mechanic and he says basically they only do what is on the work form and then get passed on to the sales manager who basically says that they are in the right and that I should take my business elsewhere if I think that they didn't to their job properly. He told me I was given a list of everything that they looked at.

Obviously I am pretty infuriated. I had specifically told the mechanic that I was worried about the bike sitting there for 2 seasons and that was why I wanted the compression test done.

Am I out of line to think that after voicing my concerns about a bike that had been idle for a time period, and specifying concerns to the mechanic that checking out the gas-tank for rust would be covered in a $200 inspection?

Regardless, I won't be heading back to Holeshot during this lifetime.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,860 Posts
What's it say on the 'inspection report' you received? I'd review that to know what exactly you did - or did not - pay for.

A month of owning an operating the bike yourself - and you didn't happen to see anything wrong in the tank either, did you? In which case... how are they to note something 'so obvious', yet you yourself failed to catch it?

It would be nice if haircuts came with handjobs - but unfortunately it's not included by default - so you have to ask - and pay - for that bit of extra special service. :p

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Whatever is on their list of things to inspect is what you should expect. Making assumptions leads only to more problems.
Your situation certainly sucks ass.

Bah, this is pointless.............I really shouldn't be replying here

·
Registered
653 Posts

A month of owning an operating the bike yourself - and you didn't happen to see anything wrong in the tank either, did you? In which case... how are they to note something 'so obvious', yet you yourself failed to catch it?
OP isn't a mechanic, and he doesn't know what he doesn't know. So I don't think you can blame him for not knowing to look in the gas tank to check for rust if a bike's been sitting for a while.

It's great that the manager is sticking up for his team, but looks like their falling back on the "i only did what the paper told me to look at" instead of actually using their brains and experience to look the bike over, doesn't look too great to potential customers. Although a checklist would certainly help keep the inspection comprehensive and through, for $200 i'd expect them to be pretty damn thorough.

·
This space for rent
2,099 Posts
An often-used checklist is published by the MSF using a T-CLOCS mnemonic. Check out http://www.abatenedistrict2.com/T-CLOCSInspectionChecklist.pdf. I'd agree it's common-sense to check the tank for rust if the bike has been sitting for 2 yrs, and it's arguable that a TCLOCK inspection of the tank for fuel levels should have found rust. That said, it's buyer beware out there, and inspections don't come with guarantees. Would have been great customer service for them to have offered to help you with your new problem, but I don't see any obligation for them to do so. Maybe ask what kind of deal they would offer to perform the repairs at their shop?

·
Let the good times roll
1,083 Posts
Goes to show that a general statement such as 'do a thorough inspection because it has been sitting for 2 years' isn't good enough when it comes to dealing with some bike shops. As much as they may have a big fancy store it doesn't mean their employees give a shit or can actually use their brain to help out a newish rider who isn't mechanically inclined.

If you are so inclined I would suggest you contact the motor vehicle sales authority and explain the situation with all supporting documentation that you have. Make sure you are clear about how you phrased the work to be done on your potential purchase. If there is any writing on the work order such as 'been sitting for 2 years' or some such that will definitely help your case.

Here is a link:

http://mdcbc.com/complaints.htm

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,652 Posts
Any decent shop/mechanic should have picked up the rust in the tank as part of their inspection. You can bet EMS, 5th Gear and Imperial all would have caught it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A rusting fuel tank is the first thing I would look for on a bike that's been sitting for 2 years, especially if it wasn't topped up with gas while being stored. It takes 5 seconds with a flashlight. Take that as you wish.
Good to know, do I empty the gas first and check it?
Is there a specific area that I need to be aware of?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've had 'good' experience with their accessories department.

But when they delivered my bike, they forgot to PDI so they had to take it back and I had to wait for a couple of hours. I didn't mind. It was Dec 23 so I was kinda thankful they delivered it on that day anyways.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It would be nice if haircuts came with handjobs - but unfortunately it's not included by default - so you have to ask - and pay - for that bit of extra special service. :p
Where the heck do you get your hair cut? :laughing

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Do you have the rusty tank to take and show them? Is it apparent to you that it's rusty by looking in the filler cap?

I feel for you... you did all the things that should be done before buying a used bike.

If this rusty tank is blatantly obvious, I'd take it down there and talk to them about it. Perhaps the fuel tank was full
and nothing was noticeable... or the rust is in an area of the tank that it's not noticeable.

It's a shitty situation, no matter which way you look at it.

What kind of bike is this? I'm not sure you need to be paying $1200 to resolve the issue. You could soak the tank in
radiator cleaner and toss some bolts in there and clang them around to get the loose debris, almost if not all of the shit out... coat the
insides of it... put an inline filter in it if the tank doesn't have a filter, and deal with the carbs or injectors.

I've fixed and rode many bikes sitting WAY longer than that with bigger issues. Rebuilt a Honda Shadow that had been
in a barn for 20 + years with a rusty secondary tank that is no longer available. Soaked it in rad cleaner for a few days
and voila, was like new again.

Cleaned the carbs, inline filter... swapped it once... and bingo bango, bike runs like a clock for the past 4 years.

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
Regardless of all the "why's and wherefore's".
Fuel system shot?? Sounds like an exaggeration. It probably just needs cleaning after the tank has been fixed.
F4i - eBay - Gas tank with pump, fuel rail, 1 hours work, should be possible for $500
F2,3,4 - eBay - Gas tank, carburetors, 2 hours work, should be possible for $300-400
You shouldn't be anywhere near the numbers you've been quoted if you can find a knowledgeable pal to help you out.
Pity you're not closer to the lower mainland, I know someone who'd have 'er up and running again for about $200.

·
..get to the bat bike!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay well I looked at my work order and no, there is no mention of fuel tank inspection - just the 5 star pre-purchase inspection and compression test.

To be honest, I realize that this is something that may have been overlooked and/or forgotten or whatever. I guess was just disappointing in the service that I received. I realize that everyone makes mistakes, but to have a conversation with the sales manager and tell him that I told the mechanic that the bike had been sitting for awhile and that was a concern for me, and to have him come back and tell me that he gave me a sheet with what they did on it so technically they did their job and therefore I am totally in the wrong on this one.

When I went to look at the bike I did a visual inspection as best I could - I am no mechanic, and that is why I took it to one. Obviously the problem is mine and no one elses but its just a bit of a piss off to have acted in the best of my knowledge and still have an inspection back-fire on me.

As for the cost to replace, the bike is a 600rr, and yes it will be I think around $700 - the quote I was given for $1200 included some other things I am doing to the bike.. Unfortunately it happened on a trip so I had to get the bike towed out of down and thats where it now sits.

I never asked once during my time speaking to them for any sort of compensation, or any sort of re-reimbursement. To be honest if they had said bring the bike in and we will take a look at it I probably would have either taken that route or at least acknowledged that they made some sort of effort. But anyways, I'm done complaining - all I wanted to do was advice people that next time you bring a bike into an inspection to make sure you bring it to a reputable place and not Holeshot motorsports

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I don't write on here that often, but I had such a disappointing encounter with Holeshot Motors in Langley that I had to post.

Basically a month ago I was looking at buying a Honda CBR 600 and brought the bike into Holeshot for a pre-purchase inspection.

The bike had been sitting in this guys garage for 2 years, so when talked to the mechanic I clearly stated that I was concerned there might be issues with the bike for having it sit so long without being winterized. That being said I got the pre-purchase inspection and a compression test which came out to $200. The mechanic said the bike checked out fine and that the bike was mechanically sound and gave me the inspection report.

Fast forward a month later and my bike breaks down - rust in the tank so the fuel system is shot. $1200 bill to fix it up. So I call Holeshot to talk to the mechanic and he says basically they only do what is on the work form and then get passed on to the sales manager who basically says that they are in the right and that I should take my business elsewhere if I think that they didn't to their job properly. He told me I was given a list of everything that they looked at.

Obviously I am pretty infuriated. I had specifically told the mechanic that I was worried about the bike sitting there for 2 seasons and that was why I wanted the compression test done.

Am I out of line to think that after voicing my concerns about a bike that had been idle for a time period, and specifying concerns to the mechanic that checking out the gas-tank for rust would be covered in a $200 inspection?

Regardless, I won't be heading back to Holeshot during this lifetime.

All fuel injection machines have a very capable fuel filter to serve as utmost protection to the injectors. In fact, the thing would just stop sending fuel if it was full of crud. The most I could see in this case would be a new filter [$75], and,,,,if the thing was used alot during this state, maybe a pump [$200].

steve

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
In spite of the modern engineering of motorcycles today, they still are more "hands on" than a car/truck. I'm of the opinion that the owner of even a brand new motorcycle purchased today really should have a basic grasp of what exactly is going on underneath that gas tank. Anyone who does not can and should expect to pay through the nose for even the most basic of things. It's just the way things are.
And, common sense goes along way in this particular situation.

Steve

·
lover of twins
6,128 Posts
And, common sense goes along way in this particular situation.
one could also argue that the shop missed a great opportunity to build a good relationship with a new customer, creating potentially a long term client.

the simple fact that the guy said he wanted the bike checked out tip to tail because it's been sitting for a few years would have been the perfect opening to explain to him some of the things that could go wrong with a bike in that situation and what they'd take the time to check. that's what excellent customer service is all about, taking time to explain to your customer things they may not be aware of but you, as a business should.

so technically the shop didn't make a mistake, but they still blew it big time in terms of customer service.

·
backslider
11,330 Posts
so technically the shop didn't make a mistake, but they still blew it big time in terms of customer service.
Actually I would argue that, becasue if a bike has been sitting for two years and the customer asks the shop to check it out becasue of concerns about that fact - then the shop (imo) would have been remiss in not peeking into the tank/fuel system as a precautionary duty in keeping with said customers request/order.

It seems almsot painfully obvious that that should have been done ... common sense step

·
lover of twins
6,128 Posts
Actually I would argue that, becasue if a bike has been sitting for two years and the customer asks the shop to check it out becasue of concerns about that fact - then the shop (imo) would have been remiss in not peeking into the tank/fuel system as a precautionary duty in keeping with said customers request/order.

It seems almsot painfully obvious that that should have been done ... common sense step
oh i totally agree, just saying that techncally according to their inspection sheet they did do a full inspection and the work the customer requested. the op just got shafted b/c the tank wasn't a listem item on the inspection sheet.

i think we can all agree that it's something that should have be done.

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,652 Posts
I agree with syncro. Not only did they miss the chance to treat a customer well in the first place, they missed a second when he contacted them to express his concerns with the original work.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts