BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Looks like another case of Darwinism in action :rolleyes

No one should have to pay this sort of price for what she did but every day we have more people with less skill in more expensive and faster cars thinking they can drive like Micheal Andretti. There was that guy out in Richmond and now this girl. And with the streetracing scene becoming the thing to do it's only going to get worse.......... a lot worse.

At least she didn't take out her friends in the accident. Or worse, take out some poor schmuk walking their dog.

Yep, no one should have to pay this sort of price for their mistake but OTOH I can't scrounge up too much sympathy either. I wonder if this was the first car that daddy got her or if she had written off a couple of others first?

C

·
0 Posts
dont get me wrong, i feel for this girl, who awas so young, as well as for her family and friends who lost her at such a young age.... no matter what you say or think, dying at that age, you havent reached your potential yet. it such a tragic event.... its funny how in most cases, it takes a tragic event to make ppl realize how stoopid and foolish their actions are, but for some reason, with these "street racers", it doesnt seem to matter how many young deaths itll take to make them realize that what theyre doing is pointless, foolish and will lead to lost lives... either theyre own, theyre friends or innnocent by standers.

in a funny way, if you read the newspapers or watch the news, something that stands out when i see it is that out of the 6 PEOPLE that were in that car that morning, only SHE, THE DRIVER was killed.... even though that car hit the pole on the passenger side. its a kind of ironic show by JOE BLACK sending out the message that YOU PAY THE PRICE OF YOUR OWN ACTIONS, AND NO ONE ELSE.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
it amazes me how these people get a drivers license.... Like really, how stupid are you to be doing 130+ km/h on Kingsway?? not only that, but doing it while you have a car full of 5 people.... sheessh.... just another reason our insurance rates go up because of idiots like this.... :( you can't really blame it on the car, cause these morons will and still race little civics down the streets. Maybe if these parents stop buying there kids cars, they will have to buy it with some hard earned cash and they might actually take it easy and wont want to wreck something they earned instead of something that was given to them. I dunno but it is something I seem to notice, most of these dumb accidents are caused by people who were given the vehicle by mommy and daddy, haven't you guys noticed that??

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Canadian Gixxer you got my vote, I think most of them involve mom&pop bought cars.....butt still I got a shock to see the accord between that way.....and those 5 passengers are in serious condition, back, pelvis etc... injuries....they are going to carry these with them for the rest of their life....and only get worse with age....

D

·
0 Posts
Gixxer, you've got my vote too. I have had a couple friends with shall we say 'well off' parents that didn't think twice of going and and buying their kids top end cars capable of WAY more than any 17/18 yr old should be driving. And what happened to these nice cars you ask? Totalled, both.. thankfully neither was killed but when its given to you, especially when you are young you don't apreciate it and take if for granted and hence drive like an idiot. Hopefully some of those parents will get the picture.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
yup. I've seen this first hand with some of my friends. 16 yrs old, one crazy driver, just got his license and parents buy him a brand new blue/purple pimpin lookin Integra. Numerous speeding tickets (lost count how many he had, but enough to get his licence suspended twice) car was all banged upped and stuff from the hard driving. Then 2 yrs after, he totals it by raming into a back of a semi doing 100 km/h. Luckly his parents didn't bail him out so he bought something slower with his own money, a truck. But he learned the hard way. He was lucky not to kill himself. Sure not the fastest thing on the road, but any of these 4 bangers civics etc can reach 200 km/h no problem and that is plenty enough to get into trouble.

oh yeah, to top it all off, this same guy wants to buy a R6 this summer :) but he himself admits he is scared to cause he is worried he might overdo it on the thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
nah, there is nothing wrong with doing 280, you just have to be smart about it, pick and choose safe spots. and Kingways is no place to be speeding, any city street is no place to be doing that kind of crap. Those streets are so bumpy and uneven, you'd be getting big time air time on the bike, just like that chick who wrapped the car around the pole yesterday morning. save it for the highway 99 :) at least no poles to smack into :)

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I think everyone may be a little harsh on the driver. Yes, she did a stupid thing, but you are all talking as if she was a mature adult. She was a teenager and as we know, teenagers will do stupid things. I am positive I am not the only one who drove a little beyond their abilities at that age, and with 5 friends in the car she may have felt a little peer pressure.

I think it is a tragic accident, and I think the loss of life affects me more than my insurance going up, because since I am a claim free driver/rider, most of you are driving my rates up! The bottom line here is that young people do not always act responsibly, but it is all part of growing up. We are supposed to learn from our mistakes, not die from them. The only concilation here is that hopefully other people will learn from this and mature a little quicker.

C

·
0 Posts
vrecksler said:
I think everyone may be a little harsh on the driver. Yes, she did a stupid thing, but you are all talking as if she was a mature adult. She was a teenager and as we know, teenagers will do .............

youve got a point.... its jsut sad to see this you know. it affects so many ppl.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
We may be a bit hard on the driver but it's the truth. She just happens to be a victim of that truth. The way kids are being brought up these days they are coddled and protected from any pain.

*IF* they were allowed to learn that fallling hurts and hitting a wall with a bicycle hurts and that other certain actions can lead to failure of their "toys" that will lead then to a pain induced lesson maybe they would realize that you CAN'T go around that jog in Kingsway at 130 kph and expect the car to do this without any complaints or performance issues.

*IF* these kids had to earn at least part of the money to buy these toys and it was explained to them that THEY were going to be responsible for the repairs and upkeep then maybe they would treat these things with a little more care.

I understand that a large part of the reason that we see so many asian young drivers in hot new cars is a cultural issue with the family but that doesn't make it any easier when the grim reaper is tapping that kid and any associated victims on the shoulder.

She was 18 with a learner's license but she obviously had lots of street racer friends that "taught" her well. Is anyone taking them to task???? So why blame the other social side of things???

She and the others recently were victims of a combination of issues. But in the end it was THEIR feet on the accelerator. And as we all know these days common sense and personal responsibility are rare commodities that are not being taught.

I'll just step down off my soap box now..........

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
As much as I feel bad for that girl dieing so young at least she didn't (lets hope the others all make it) take anyone else with her. Young people think their invulnerable to all and don't see any reprocussions in their actions which leads them to push the envelope that much further. We all did stupid things when we first got our licence and when we were younger but 130 down kingsway? you have to be nuts, stupid or have no regard for anyone else or anything else on the road. I know the news made a big deal about highpowered sports cars, well an accord is neither highpowered or a sports car but it goes to show that the type of cars are irrelivent, people can kill themselves in any type of car, a Firefly could easily hit 130 kph and slam itself around a pole as well.

Streetracing and driving fast has always been around, it will always be around and there is nothing that can be done to stop it, prevent or make it more difficult perhaps but not stop it. Do I speed? Sometimes. Do I race? Not anymore. Did I when I was younger? Sure I did. I was pretty lucky, I never hurt myself or anyone else. I don't have the answer to what could be done in order to help curve a lot of the recent deaths we've seen in the news but if I had to place the blame somewhere I would probably place it with the parents, at least partially. I did hear something on the radio on a possible solution and that was to not allow young drivers to carry teenage passengers. I don't know about this solution I can see some good things that might come from it but it's kinda sitting on a thin line, I mean we're suppose to be a free society. I don't have the solution, but lets hope we can go the rest of the year without to many race/speed related deaths.

H

·
0 Posts
Here's something to think about...I was reading the paper and it said she had just gotten her license a week prior...what was she driving a 2002 accord...someone should tell these parents who do anything to please their kids that love can't be bought...

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
i gotta agree with Bruce on this issue.
it's sad that someone lost their life but maybe their friends can learn from their mistakes:(

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
bl1tz said:
i gotta agree with Bruce on this issue.
it's sad that someone lost their life but maybe their friends can learn from their mistakes:(
Sorry Bl1tz but you've missed my meaning here. I'm saying that her "friends" are the ones that probably showed her all this shit and got her going on it in the first place.

But maybe a couple of those friends that ended up in the hospital MAY learn a little. The rest? Don't you know they are invincible and it always happens to the "other" guy? I'm sure they would be glad to tell you that......... :rolleyes

You know it used to be a very common thing for kids to break a couple of bones while they were young. That certainly told me I was mortal. Doesn't it work that way any more?

S

·
0 Posts
I totally agree that EVERYONE needs to be more careful on the roads, especially with people like this driving around. Young people have been killing themselves ever since cars have been available, and will continue to as long as they are. :(

Lets just remember why we wear helmets, and be all the more cautious out there. I am a new rider, but must keep reminding myself of that fact to be sure not to lose my cool. I think everyone needs to know their limits and stick to them. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts