BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone not here....I have a 2015 cbr1000rr with intermittent starting problems. The bike seems to very occasionally cough on start up and then it either goes away and runs normal or gets worse and I can't get the bike started.... I can can hear the fuel pump priming and smell fuel. The occasional cough on cranking indicates spark....i have had it to Holeshot in the past and while they returned the bike running there was no adequate explanation of the problem...they also made a point in the service report to deny warranty because I have aftermarket wiring. The aftermarket wiring consists of a led tail light, a turnsignal self cancelling module, and an alarm. In any case I would appreciate any advice or dealer recomendations anyone might have.

Thanks

Don

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Take out the aftermarket LED's and the module and see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well - I took the bike to Carter Honda this time and while they still denied warranty they did not seem to care about the alarm or other minor electrical mods like the other dealer. They still managed to deny warranty however and claimed the bike had bad fuel. I don't really understand because the bike has had several fresh tanks of gas recently and was running perfectly when I shut it down a few days before I had the problem. Anyway, they claim the bike had bad fuel because when it was flushed out and replaced the bike started reliably from then on. I am kind of dumbfounded still and find it hard to believe it was fuel. Maybe they could have saved the flushed fuel and had it tested or run again to confirm it was bad. Does anyone have any thoughts if this could be a defective or contaminated MAF sensor?

One other thing I would mention - The dealership service advisor (could not get near a mechanic) was adamant that I should be running 89 Octane gas and not the premium I normally run. When I mentioned that the manual stated clearly that I should use 91 Octane or higher he was emphatic that I should ignore the manual. He had a lot of incorrect explanations about how gas and octane work that I won't bother to repeat. I was very surprised with this response and wonder what other things in the manual may be optional or wrong. I will continue to run premium.

Even though I am not a hundred percent satisfied I was at least much happier with the service from Carter. They came and picked up the bike in within a few days and had it running and back to me in in just 2 working days after that. Previously Holeshot took 3 weeks just to get an appointment to bring the bike in.

that's my service report for what it is worth....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final installment ... I hope... 2 weeks ago I started the bike and it coughed again but would not start. There was a lot of gas smell. I tried again but for some reason I cranked the throttle a bit and it came to life with double blinking MIL light. The next day Carter Motorsports Honda took the bike back in and changed the map sensor, refunded my previous diagnostic fee, all under my extended warranty. Good on them.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.

Bad gas can happen. Driver may have forgotten to clear the hose after pumping diesel elsewhere. 20 gallons of diesel in the 94 supreme tank is going to make a difference.

Never fill up if they are filling the service station tanks. This stirs up all the shit laying on the bottom of the tank. The older the tanks the worse it is.
Yes, there are filters but they are rarely serviced at many stations according to chevron fuel delivery guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts