BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
backslider
11,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone ... spring (weather) is finally springing.

That said, the real whether is, whether or not to ride the Hope/Princeton these days. I've heard that the hwy's surface took a real beating over the winter, what with all the truckers (those miscreant and revolutionary beings!) using it as their interior access route while the Coq was closed from the flood damage. Apparently the pavement surface has turned into total shite, and ain't worth a sport-bike ride at all anymore.

Has anyone on here been through that way recently, and is thus able to offer up some first hand beta from a rider's perspective about it?

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
I went through there about 5 days ago. The area around Rhodo flats is really bad. When you come around that eastbound corner that turns into a slow traffic lane was really, and even worse westbound. It’s just past Sumallo. It has been like that for a few years, just getting worse. Other than that, it was pretty good. I didn’t notice anything too bad at all.

It‘s the section circled in red.
Ecoregion Map Screenshot Terrestrial plant Font

Reactions: oldgixxer

·
backslider
11,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's good to know - and thank you, Sikorsky, for the info!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Definitely more ADV friendly than Sportbike friendly!

The same goes for the Duffy. Both will need resurfacing jobs. Highway 8 needs a bit of work too:)

Princeton to Merritt is mostly freshly paved.

Cheers,

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Time to get a high output ADV bike, they eat up shit toads.
This section has those nasty crevices between the lanes …… where the paver lays the asphalt down it has broken up badly. As in catch and twist a rim depth and width. Best to throttle back through that couple of klicks.

Reactions: Steve G.

·
backslider
11,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those cracks/crevices have been like that for a few years now.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
This section has those nasty crevices between the lanes …… where the paver lays the asphalt down it has broken up badly. As in catch and twist a rim depth and width. Best to throttle back through that couple of klicks.
Yeah I know those cracks. You're right, they can be real dangerous actually. They seem to go on for sometimes a mile at a time.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Princeton to Merritt is mostly freshly paved.

Cheers,
oh, glory! problem is, hwy 8 onward from Merritt to Spences Bridge will be a loooong time getting back into service, and will almost certainly be emasculated. Mamit Lk Rd to Logan Lake is good, but sweepers aren't quite the same as the 'raging' attack and brake sections of 8!

·
backslider
11,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My sentiments exactly, Doser. I suppose, if the Hope/Princeton isn't totally trashed (bear in mind I am on a Fireblade), one could do that to Princeton and back, while enjoying the Princeton/Merritt leg there-and-back from Princeton as a reward for braving the tire eating cracks on the H/Princeton ....

How is the Fraser Canyon, from Spences Bridge to Hope (I think I can recall alot of boringness, occasionally smattered by fun)?

That flood really fugged things up, eh!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
hey Kent, as you know, the Canyon is decent, and maybe even worthwhile, but not exciting. seems like to get the best outa the 5A Merritt-Princeton this summer, you could make it part of a big loop, including Merritt-Logan Lk-Ashcroft, or Savona-Logan Lk-Merritt; then either the Canyon, or the Duffey. for a short version, returning from Merritt down the Coquihalla is boring but fast, altho the Coldwater Road south of Merritt is 35km of really nice secondary road. 5A from Merritt to Kamloops is superb too. kinda just depends how far you are comfortable riding in a day, doesn't it...

·
backslider
11,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I did rig up a tiny tail-bag affair, with enough capacity to take an over-night's worth of stuff (tooth brush, change of clothes, comb) ... so it may well be possible to break things up into a two day - or maybe even three day affair. I've done a 600 km day on the RR missile ... but that's about as long as I think I would want to go in one day on that thing (I've got the Green Mnt loop by Penticton/Apex in my sights!!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts