BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my two bikes stored in my garage (insulated)under my house.It isint heated other than the fact its under my house(above ground) as it gets colder Im concerned about freezing things such as my seals and hurting the bikes.At what point or temp do I need to worry about damage.Last winter it never got cold enough in the garage to freeze my water bong,:thumbup SO im hoping its warm enough to keep the bikes comfy and warm.Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Below freezing is not an issue.
Now -30C and cranking them over to start 'em, that's an issue.

I've stored many bikes outside, under the cover of a carport/shed, with temps in the -25C range, over the winter, and never had any issues.

Jeez, unless it's -10C, I'll even go riding, as long as the roads are dry.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
I'd change the oil, fill the gas tank (add stabilizer if it'll be sitting for awhile) to prevent condensation in the tank, and if you're not running antifreeze for some reason--add some. Oh, and I'd suggest putting the battery on a trickle-charger.

The cold hasn't hurt any of my bikes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd change the oil, fill the gas tank (add stabilizer if it'll be sitting for awhile) to prevent condensation in the tank, and if you're not running antifreeze for some reason--add some. Oh, and I'd suggest putting the battery on a trickle-charger.

The cold hasn't hurt any of my bikes.
I had the oil changed when I bought my 1000,about 500km ago,filled up both tanks and added some stabilizer,pulled out both batteries and tucked them inside where its nice and warm.Thankyou very much for the ideas and reassurances,I might abuse my self,my girlfriend and the system but never my bikes.
Thanks people

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
Below freezing is not an issue.
Now -30C and cranking them over to start 'em, that's an issue.

I've stored many bikes outside, under the cover of a carport/shed, with temps in the -25C range, over the winter, and never had any issues.

Jeez, unless it's -10C, I'll even go riding, as long as the roads are dry.
Big deal! Your bike is 70% car. :laughing Full fairing. Huge windscreen. Isn't that right?

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Cold temperatures stop them from spoiling and going all wrinkly from drying out.......

·
Takin it like a $10 Whore
366 Posts
just find a spot in your house that you can keep it. It will never have a prob.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Big deal! Your bike is 70% car. Full fairing. Huge windscreen. Isn't that right?
Exactly!
My former wife's Honda Accord got jumped by my daughter's Civic, the Wing arrived and I got it in the divorce!:laughing

Seriously, it may have the market cornered in the tupperware department, but strip off all that camo, and it's nothing but a big lump of a motor with suspension bits attached. I can't see where cold has hurt any motorcycle, as long as it's prepped and anti-freeze equipped.
A few posters here know of "Yukon Jack," a friend of ours from Alaska, who has been known to ride a motorcycle from Alaska to Seattle in March.
March.
He's a legend in the endurance community, and most of his bikes are parked outside all year round.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only thing that hurts the bike in the cold is starting it. Kinda nasty for the poor motor to fire up from low temps. Synthetic oil helps.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
A few posters here know of "Yukon Jack," a friend of ours from Alaska, who has been known to ride a motorcycle from Alaska to Seattle in March.
March.
He's a legend in the endurance community, and most of his bikes are parked outside all year round.
I don't think Jack worries too much about his bikes getting cold. I think that's his Wing (it has studded tires) pictured here--just out for a ride in the Alaskan winter:

More here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179236

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go ahead Jack, man must have balls of steel,or at least a ball sack full of antifreeze,Just got a foot of snow here in Kamloops so now Im thinking screw the storage thing,Im gonna pop out the front wheel,slip a fat ski in the forks and take my girl for a romp in the snow.

·
Dr Tung
558 Posts
you won't need any gas stabalizers unless you expect to store the bike for a few years.... a winter season is nothing to worry about....just keep a full tank to keep moisture to a min.

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
With all due respect and **admiration** for the spirit of the man...

This is nuts!! Why bother? It's like making a PWC run on grass. Or, a snowmobile run well on gravel.

When you need a screw driver, don't reach for the hammer. :flashy

I don't think Jack worries too much about his bikes getting cold. I think that's his Wing (it has studded tires) pictured here--just out for a ride in the Alaskan winter:

More here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179236

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
With all due respect and **admiration** for the spirit of the man...
This is nuts!! Why bother?
Aaaaand, that's why Mt. Everest will not be scaled by the likes of you (or I!):laughing

Jack saved my ass in Fairbanks during the 2001 Iron Butt Rally, he's great company, either riding, or in a restaurant, or just about anywhere. He's the kind of guy that just doesn't let a little thing like "weather," get in the way of what he wants to do the most.

·
Not me!!
971 Posts
Not necessarily true. I want to get there in a helicopter. :) And rescue the likes of Jack there. :laughing
Aaaaand, that's why Mt. Everest will not be scaled by the likes of you (or I!):laughing

Jack saved my ass in Fairbanks during the 2001 Iron Butt Rally, he's great company, either riding, or in a restaurant, or just about anywhere. He's the kind of guy that just doesn't let a little thing like "weather," get in the way of what he wants to do the most.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
So why do ppl like to take their riced up cars out in the snow today?

Cause it's something a sane man won't do. And sane people are boring.

Of course you all know that already. You all ride motorcycles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts