BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a YAMAHA 650 Turbo that I sold to a guy in the states and he payed me in installments for a whole year, then refused to pay the shipping...its been a couple of years now, I should get rid of it it looks like something out of battle star galactica...No papers were exchanged and I havnt heard from him for at least 6 months...I wanna out it, how do you think I legaly stand

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
I'd say chock it up as a learning experience...but if you really must persue it, I am pretty sure you'd have to sue him where the sale took place. Since there was no exchange of papers, I don't know how much of a leg you have to stand on! My guess is that you are S.O.L.! This is merely my take, not a lawyer or anything, just another guy who's been burned a few times on friendly payment plans...

Pete

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I'd be the standup guy and contact him by registered mail, letting him know that he's got X amount of time (something reasonable like 4 to 6 weeks) to either pick up his motorcycle or pay for you to ship it to him or you'll start charging him storage fees equal to the value of the motorcycle and bill him retroactively for the past couple of years.

Explain politely that you don't have the room to continue to store the bike and he needs to pick up his purchase.

Sending your letter by registered mail will clarify any misunderstanding in case it goes to small claims court - this way you'll have a record of communicating this to him.

If he doesn't pick up the bike, then you can send him a receipt for the money he paid for the storage.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
I think I may have mis-interpretted the situation...I was under the impression that he had the bike, made the payments, but didn't pay for the shipping. Thus, you aren't transferring the papers and that's what you still had on 'em.

Clarification?

Pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I have the bike he payed me over a year 2000 US, then he bailed out of paying me for the shipping that turned out to be at least 700 Canadian, he's reasoning was he thought Calgary was just over NEW YORK...all this started nearly three years ago now, and I want to put a end to it, Ive contacted him by email several times in the last few months, but to no reply

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
First....what a dolt, who would give up 2k like that?

Secondly, I dont think I have ever heard of a payment plan bewteen two strangers, unless it was through a third party/escrow service. What a dolt of him to agree to that!!

I take it that the final shipping price wasnt negotiated before the transaction was finalized. Hes obviously not the brightest bulb in the box.

If hes actively ignoring you, I'd just write off the whole transaction.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
well....interesting situation then! looks like you got 2g's for nothing! sell the bike!!

legally he owns nothing...unfortunately for him he's donated to your beer fund! Were ANY papers signed in regards to payment etc? if there's no paper trail it's your words against his and it seems he got the shitty end of the stick. if you have trouble sleeping at night, give 'em 2g's usd back (it's worth less now than it was 2-3 years ago!!), that is, if you can locate him!

Pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he was someone I was chating with on another forum for sometime, and I posted up a picture when I first got the bike, he was very keen to get the bike off me becouse it was the same modle he had when he first started riding when he was a kid, I sold it to him, becouse he really wanted it, and I had no real interest, so he said he couldnt pay me all at once and he payed me through paypal,
when it finaly came to shipping it, I didnt mind boxing it all up, and did so but I had to unbox the thing again when he didnt have the money for the shipping and I had to move house.

I guess the way to do this is just sell it to him and get what ever I can for it then foward any money that I get too him, but whos gonna buy a bike that hasnt run for years, on hes request, he told me not to bother getting it running.

·
One more time eh?
1,026 Posts
First of all, $2000 US for a Yamaha Turbo that won't run?! Thats got to be the take of the year, Yamaha Canada had to offer custom paint for those things, free, just to move them off the showroom floor.
If the guy won't respond then your clear but if he wants his $ back, your toast.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
For $2000 US,
I'd be kind and include the shipping.
The poor guy probably just realized that he should have bought
a jar of vaseline for this transaction.

·
Melodious
496 Posts
I'll pay to have it shipped .. to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
offer to send back some of the money
and charge him some for backing out of the sale and storage.
go halfers???
make a agreement or something signed on it so it doesnt turn around and bite u in the ass.
Theres no SIGNED documents so u could just take his money and tell him to F off

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Theoretically, you're clear of anything

You can do whatever you want. But of course, us being Canadians and all, I'm sure none of us have the heart to rip someone out of a large purchase..... even if it were an american....

How much does he have left to pay?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
What are you a bank ?

Keep his money and sell the bike. He's obviously not interested anymore.

If you put a deposit on a vehicle and end up not wanting it you normally don't get the deposit back.

D

·
0 Posts
the only thing i'd be worried about in this deal is him complaining to paypal and paypal screwing with your bank account. but i think you are ok there, since it is him refusing to pay for shipping. you haven't refused to ship the bike. if it comes to a paypal dispute, have all correspondence, including payment agreements, shipping arrangements, condition of the bike as sold, ready to send to them.

if he has been making payments, and then refuses to pay shipping, it's his problem. if you haven't sent him any documents, it's seriously his problem. it's his problem he failed geography.

don't go playing nice guy and make a deal with him. IT'S HIS PROBLEM.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
$2000 for a non running Yamaha Turbo? And the guy thought Calgary was above New York?

Tell him I've got a bridge located close to him that I'm interested in parting with - cheap. He won't even have to pay for shipping.

R

·
0 Posts
I say..write him a letter saying that if he DOES NOT RESPOND, you will assume that he no longer wants the bike or his money. If he wants the bike, he will have to pay you the shipping costs. If he doesn't want the bike, give him either a partial refund or none at all. Don't go even on this. You could've sold this earlier if it wasn't for him.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If you have good documentation showing the original price and shipping terms and that these terms were not met - you are clear.

If there is anything missing or any doubt about shipping transactions and costs then you should contact the buyer and give him an ultimatum via registered letter.

I would try very hard to consumate this deal if I were you. It is the moral thing to do.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
"Its been a couple of years now" .... If he hasnt pursued paypal recourse by now, odds are he wont. You can attach a note to the payments for future reference if something goes awry.

What did he say in the the last email?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts