BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stupid question, how do you guys, especially the track guys, get your bike ot the track. Obviously other then riding, by Truck or trailer.
I'm poissble looking to get a new truck, with intentions of putting the bike in the back(a trailer is not an option, no where to store it).
my question is for those of you that put the bike in the back of a truck, how do you load and unload it by yourself? obviously with a ramp...

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
The truck I used for the last 2 years is lowered about 7 inches over stock.

I just pushed it up. You can just step up on the tailgate as you push it up.

It's for sale in the Buy&Sell section.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
If you have a Costco membership they have folding ramps at the store in Burnaby just off Lougheed highway for $50 right now.

If your truck is one of the lower versions you can typically get a run at it and push it up with a quick step up at the tailgate. I used this method with my older 2WD Nissan. But the Dakota I had for a few years and the new Ranger are far too tall to push the bike up without help. So for that I start the bike and set the idle to around 2500 so I don't need to worry about the throttle and then power the bike up with the clutch. This works best if your friction point is a little broader... :D

Because of the high bed I use a step stool as well.

So I power the bike up until I'm at the stool then I pull in the clutch and apply the front brake. Be sure of your balance and then step up onto the stool and put one foot on the tail gate. Then ease out the clutch until the back just starts to squat and let off the brake and step walk the bike the rest of the way onto the truck.

It's a good idea to have a spotter for the first couple of tries.

Of course if you can rely on a willing extra body to push then you don't need this but you still want the step stool so you're stepping up onto the bed in smaller steps. Too much can make you loose your balance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Momentum is the key, either pushing or using the bikes power.
If you are using the bikes power I wouldn't stop halfway on and then start again as you may "spit" the ramp off.
Been there done that.

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
I have a '95 Dakota 4x4. I put the bike in there to get it home the day I bought it. Took two people...I would never drive (another) bike up a ramp, I used to do it with my dirtbike and it came back to bite me in the ass pretty hard. If you want to load it up yourself, I would get something as low as possible. Vans are pretty nice for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HMM thanks for the response guys, now how do i get it off? as i'd be riding it backwards??

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
Carefully...

I do load my dirtbike into my truck myself, since it's only a few hundred pounds lighter...my ramp is wide enough that I just walk it down beside it, but sometimes I just hop on it and roll it down with the front brake if the ramp is secure.

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
If you have a Costco membership they have folding ramps at the store in Burnaby just off Lougheed highway for $50 right now.

If your truck is one of the lower versions you can typically get a run at it and push it up with a quick step up at the tailgate. I used this method with my older 2WD Nissan. But the Dakota I had for a few years and the new Ranger are far too tall to push the bike up without help. So for that I start the bike and set the idle to around 2500 so I don't need to worry about the throttle and then power the bike up with the clutch. This works best if your friction point is a little broader... :D

Because of the high bed I use a step stool as well.

So I power the bike up until I'm at the stool then I pull in the clutch and apply the front brake. Be sure of your balance and then step up onto the stool and put one foot on the tail gate. Then ease out the clutch until the back just starts to squat and let off the brake and step walk the bike the rest of the way onto the truck.

It's a good idea to have a spotter for the first couple of tries.

Of course if you can rely on a willing extra body to push then you don't need this but you still want the step stool so you're stepping up onto the bed in smaller steps. Too much can make you loose your balance.

be careful to not give to much or you'll shoot the ramp back and it will slide off the tailgate making your bike smash into it most likely. it helps to use a tie down tied to the bumper of the truck to hold the ramp in place so it doesnt go anywhere

·
Waiting for the sun
502 Posts
be careful to not give to much or you'll shoot the ramp back and it will slide off the tailgate making your bike smash into it most likely. it helps to use a tie down tied to the bumper of the truck to hold the ramp in place so it doesnt go anywhere
+1 That is a great idea :thumbup

I saw one guy have tabs that are hooked down and they sit in holes on the tailgate to keep if from slipping off

·
No the pic is not me
930 Posts
My buddy uses two 2x12 planks and walks the bike up on one and he walks on the other. If you have the option, put the base of the ramp against a curb, it won't slide that way.

edit: He owns a dodge ram, so the bed is pretty high too.

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
I built mine out of an 8x2 sheet of 5/8ths plywood and some 2x2's underneath for bracing. It's served me very well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts