BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyone here washes their bike.
like what kind of soap? sponge or cloth? do you wax?
got any tips or tricks u'd like to share?

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I just get a bucket of hot soapy water (dish soap), a sponge and an old toothbrush. After the bike has been washed, I dry it with a shammy, then wax or polish it. Pretty simple, but it still takes a long time for the whole process, all those nooks and crannies have to be clean. :)

·
Burn it up
163 Posts
I only ride in nice weather, so usually the ol brush/sponge/hose, and bucket of soapy water works fine.

brush for wheels and shocks, and dirtier places, sponge for the tank/seat/fairings etc. Hose it all down, shammy, idle for a bit, then cruise around.

·
565 Posts
I use a variety of products and tricks I learned working in the detailing shop of 2 different car dealerships.

Here are a few tips & products.

First, I try and avoid 'washing' my bike with a bucket of water and a hose unless its especially dirty. I don't like forcing water into the engine area, instruments, and wheel hubs unless my bike is excessively dirty (which almost never happens since I stay on top of it each week. I prefer to use a very wet clean terry cloth, rinsing the cloth frequently in a bucket of soapy water.

Always use car soap, not dish liquid. Since I keep my bike waxed, and dish soap is grease-cutting, it removes the wax and is too harsh on the paint over time. Car soap (like Meguiar's, Turtle Wax or Mother's) are designed to gently wash away dirt while leaving the wax on.

I always start at the clear windscreen (most vulnerable to scratching) and work to the next most vulnerable areas and work towards the dirtiest areas. So my order of wiping down would be: 1./ winshield and upper fairing, 2./ gastank, 3./ seats and rear cowling, 4./ lower fairing, 5./ front fender, 6./front wheel, forks and brake discs, 7./ exhaust system, 8./ rear wheel and 9./ swingarm and rear shock/spring and disc. I rinse the cloth well after each section.

For a quick shine and to clean away the water streaks, I use a soft cloth and Meguair's Quick Detailer or Protect All as instructed for a shiny and slick surface. I wax using a quality carnuba wax about every month or so.

I use WD-40, Motul Shine n Go or SC1 Clear Coat for the chain lube overspray removal when I do that job (apply it to a cloth first instead of spraying directly to the wheels as overspray would cause slippery tires).

Well that's a quick overview.

X

·
0 Posts
When are you going to wash my bike Eddie? :laughing

I use mother's gold car wash + wax products
I also take of all of my fairings to do the waxing + clean them all on the inside.

Speaking of which.. tommorow it gets a bath + wax regardless of weather.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Geez Eddie, if that was a quick overview then you may just give me some competition for the "Longest Answer" award..... :D

But that was a good rundown. The only thing I'm going to add is that it really helps when doing the instruments and around the exposed engine, frame and wheels to have a wide variety of sizes and shapes of brushes to get into all the spots.

And I use a hose but Eddie is VERY right about not using a forceful spray. I have one of those multi head things and I make sure I'm using one of the low energy spray patterns or if I want a directed spray I make sure I'm only using small openings or turn down the faucet to control the pressure.

Most fork and grease seals are designed to keep the oil or grease IN. Because of this it's relativley easy to force water under the seal from the outside with surprisingly little pressure.

If it hit's harder than a rain shower then it's too hard to trust....

·
Registered
332 Posts
SImple Green!!! its the stuff magic is made of... just spray it on anything you want. it does not harm anything..... wipe with wet washing towel, and rince off...

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
Glass cleaner and a soft towl and towlets for the road grime. Lots of AUTOSOL:D

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
You guys wash your bikes?....and cars?....what do your butlers have to say about that?...you probably even dress yourselves...:p

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
I am surprised no one mentioned S2000. This stuff is amazing. Coming from riding American Iron where the wash and detail can take hours, S2000 is great. Spray it on, rinse it off........leaves your bike squeeky clean........of course it is designed for the grungy parts of your bike but its fine for body work as well. Top to bottom and inside and out wash and rinse of my bike might take me 20 minutes (including pulling the fairing off).

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
FastMickey said:
SImple Green!!! its the stuff magic is made of... just spray it on anything you want. it does not harm anything..... wipe with wet washing towel, and rince off...
Never used it on a bike but the place we bought was trashed by renters and everything was filthy. Picked up a bottle of this and all I can say is wow, stuff that I thought I'd have to repaint like the doors came out looking like they we're painted. New Carpets going in Monday moving in Wednesday can' wait :)

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I simoniz (sp?) my bike with a sponge and hose and shammy dry and thats pretty much it.

If you have used a harsher cleaner by accident and notice a chalky film on your alum....try using a little WD40 on a cloth...it removes the chalkiness and brings it back to a natural look.

·
565 Posts
BMatthews said:
Geez Eddie, if that was a quick overview then you may just give me some competition for the "Longest Answer" award.
Uh, I know. Sorry. I'm "detail oriented".

I used to detail cars at a few of dealerships [a VW/Audi/Porsche, a BMW/Hyundai {don't ask} and an Acura dealer]. On a couple of occasions, we sold slightly used cars to some anal-retentive buyers and they had specifications on how super-clean their cars had to be or else the 'deal was off'. One time it was a black BMW Cabriolet and another time was a gold Acura Legend. They were fun challenges and each took over 8 hours to detail.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
cooldaddygroove said:
I am surprised no one mentioned S2000. This stuff is amazing. Coming from riding American Iron where the wash and detail can take hours, S2000 is great. Spray it on, rinse it off........leaves your bike squeeky clean........of course it is designed for the grungy parts of your bike but its fine for body work as well. Top to bottom and inside and out wash and rinse of my bike might take me 20 minutes (including pulling the fairing off).
I think it is actually S100 at least that is what my can says, the stuff is good, but it averages out to about $8 a wash. Anyway I have ordered some BLUE MAX it is the stuff that Car Brite sells to the dealerships, it is concentrated so a gal container will make 5 gallons of cleaner, and cost around $20. works similar to s100 except that it doesn't foam, kind of like simply green, I spray it on let it sit for 30 to 60 sec, depending on how dirty the bike is and rinse off with the low pressure setting on the hose and then she's clean. then I drag out the compressor and air dry it. Takes about 20-30mins start to finish.

that is if I had a bike to wash. Actually, I think I will have another one this weekend. I also have this stuff called radpid remover, for when you peel off the factory stickers, just spray this stuff on leave it for min and it removes all the glue residue without any effort, works great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts