BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does a bike engine last?? how many km out of a bike?
Just want to know my friend is looking at a f4i 2001 they have about 40,000 km on it is it a lot ??
is there going to have lots of potenial problem?
have much more do you think they can still put out??
Thanks for help poeple..

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
search for it first. regarding the f4i, I own a '94 cbr600 and it has almost 60,000 kms on it. No 40,000 is not that much.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Depends on treatment, like anything. A lot of wheelies, redlining, infrequent oil changes, overall abuse will take a toll. A properly maintained, respected engine with 40K on it will be fine.

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
IMO - It's ALL about the maintenance, and abuse factors. An 'average' respectful rider that does regular maintenance should be about get 100,000KM out of an engine before it is huffing too much smoke (or has noticeably dropped in power or mileage) and needs to be freshened up.

There are SOO MANY variables to consider that it is impossible to give hard numbers, but if the proper care has been taken during its maintenance life, it should treat you well for approximately 100K before it will most likely have to come apart for a rebuild.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Ditto to Black Sunshine's post. Properly maintained, some bike engines (like ones in Goldwings) have been known to run 500,000 kms! 40K doesn't sound like too much.

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
some bike engines (like ones in Goldwings) have been known to run 500,000 kms!
Yeah, now that you mention it, displacement is a bit of a factor as well. Generally, the bigger the engine is, the less of its overall power capacity you'll be using (on the street) so you'll probably see longer life from a bigger displacement engine.

Brief example - a 400CC engine making 45hp may be able to get you around town, and have a good time but you are probably using 70-80% (or more) of that engine's ability to maintain decent highway speeds.
A 1000cc engine making 120HP is probably only using 40-50% of its available power to maintain the same speed - less stress, less wear.

Depending on how much/often/far you plan to ride, (all city? all highway? both? or just posing?) the displacement of the bike may be a factor as well as the mileage.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im over 40 k on my bike. 99 f4.. but it runs like a hot damn.. id rathe rbuy a bike with high k's..and know that its been taken care of.. then one with half the k's.. that has been shit and abused..

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Engineering on motorbike engines has really improved in the past 10 to 20 years. A mid 80's motorcycle would be pretty spent at 30,000K but these days bike motors like car motors can last well into the 100,000K range before needing rings and valve replacement. But it's the other components on a bike that can bag out with milage before the engine starts to see wear, stuff like suspension, clutch, transmission.

I'd recommend having the bike inspected by a licensed dealer before making a purchase on almost any used motorbike, especially one with higher milage. And don't forget to do a lean search and a search for ICBC claims. Accellerated depreciation through an ICBC claim can bite you in the ass later down the road.

·
Tarded
810 Posts
Well I'll throw in my 2 bits on this one too. It really depends how it's been ridden and maybe as much or more than how it's been maintained but like anything some engines will just pop before others.

I will say I had a GSXR 750 that was meticulously maintained and actually blew up at 35,000 kms while running full syn motul race oil that was changed every 5000 kms. It was then totally rebuilt and made it another 60,000 kms while running a semi syn motul oil at the same 5000 km intervals and was still running strong when it became a road pizza...... no fault of the engine .....just having too much fun.

I don't know if the first early demise was partly the fault of how the first engine was assembled in the factory or how the bike was actually ridden but I personally would pay far less for a bike around the 40,000 km mark due to the cost of actually having to rebuild one from the bottom up.

So if it's a steal of a deal then by all means roll the dice and go for it but there is so many bikes out there with barely any miles on them that for ME the price would really have to reflect that risk.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Displacement is an issue? I suppose it has a little to do with it but there's stories of a couple of Suzuki DR350 dual sport bikes with over 100,000 MILES on them and they are still going strong.

And a buddy has a Honda 550 Super Sport from the late 70's that he commuted on for years. The engine had over 140,000 miles on it when he pulled it and swapped it for another engine. The first one was still running but he got the second one for about $20 and wanted to see what the insides of the first one looked like so out it came. The findings were that the original engine could have gone on for quite a bit more.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
There's always the potential for flaws though. I have a ZZR 250 that I put 50,000 km on in two years. Oil changed regularly, semi-synth, mechanic maintained, mostly highway miles, etc.

Had three rocker arms fail in service, an odd failure mode too, likely a bad batch of rocker arms. Took out the camchain at the same time.

Thankfully, I bought the Kawi unlimited mileage warranty, and Burnaby Kawasaki backed me up fully with Kawi Canada. Good guys there.

Anyway, teardown indicated a couple of tuliped valves, the standard wear on the bottom end bearings, which meant it wouldn't last that much longer anyway, and it needed a re-ringing. It certainly wouldn't have made 100,000 kms.

Displacement is relative to the amount of distance the pistons travel. My old K-bike would cruise on the highway at 2500 RPM. To maintain the same speed on the Ninjette I'd be hammering along at 10,000 rpm. It's no wonder it wears out faster spinning that much.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The long distance riding community has no issues whatsoever with motorcycles with over 100,000 miles, and I don't suspect anyone else should either.
Depends on maintenance, and use.
If you're planning on buying a bike that you suspect may have "too many miles," then get it checked by a competent mechanic.
If I got the thumbs up by a technician, I'd buy the bike, and ride it.
I know some may feel a sport bike is different, than say, a ST11100 of FJR that's being used for LD riding, and that's true, however, there are a more and more sport bikes ridden in endurance events these days, with some mondo miles on them.
Engines are made to run, they don't necessarily have a finite life span.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Most bikes will die of neglect or get thrown down the road long before the motor gives up. It seems to me that transmissions often fail before the crank, rods, rings, etc., but the cost of repairs makes it more economical to find a new "used" motor from the ample supply of crashed bikes out there, so once again the engine doesn't really get a chance to wear out.

I'm hoping to ride enough to roll the odo on my VFR for the second time later this year, and I'm not worried about the motor giving up. However, keeping up with all the other things that wear out with high mileage (see Tatoodles' post) can get expensive.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
A friend of mine prone to distance riding as well as hooliganism has rolled the odo on a couple bikes already. With my own bike(s), I'm pretty good at taking care of them [well, the VTR at least], changing the oil every 2000kms etc. I just past the 50,000 km point... and the bike still runs like new. IMO, it's all in the maintenance.

As for riding a bike hard... if you mean moving the RPMS up and down the dial a lot, that's a GOOD thing. ;) It's what engines crave; it's the way gawd wanted it to be. Who are we to deny nature's laws? :D

:drinkbeer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts