BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I submitted my online application like two weeks ago, followed up twice online. Still no one is getting back to me. And I want to insure my bike. I hate ICBC.. i am trying to avoid it if I could.. but those guys on the island are not getting back to me.

But is it worth insuring my bike with Megson? or screw it so I can ride now...

B

·
0 Posts
If you are tired of waiting, insure with ICBC with your full coverage and then cancel the optional when/if Megson gets back to you

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
or,
phone them this morning, and be insured this morning. Probably a toss up between when an agent opens and when MF is open for business by telephone.

D

·
0 Posts
or, call coast capital.

megson may give you some savings, but that $1000 deductible scares me.

have a claim, and kiss your savings goodbye

·
No bike for now...
890 Posts
I thought Megson wasn't insuring sportbikes any more...could be wrong but heard it on the internet, so it might possibly be true.

F

·
0 Posts
I think when it comes to sportsbike M\F is quite picky. How much riding experience do you have,do you have a clean record?I believe they require 10years.
I know you said you hate ICBC but when I insured the other day the agent told me about Beacon Ins. and claimed it to be cheapest.I know he's towing the line a bit but he showed me a comparison on a client and it defineatly looked worth it ,,,if you are worthy.I didn't look any further into it as I am on the road now and well I don't care....maybe next year.

·
Worst. Passenger. Ever.
943 Posts
fu manchu said:
I think when it comes to sportsbike M\F is quite picky. How much riding experience do you have,do you have a clean record?I believe they require 10years.
I know you said you hate ICBC but when I insured the other day the agent told me about Beacon Ins. and claimed it to be cheapest.I know he's towing the line a bit but he showed me a comparison on a client and it defineatly looked worth it ,,,if you are worthy.I didn't look any further into it as I am on the road now and well I don't care....maybe next year.
This is the response I got from MF -

Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to offer you coverage. Our
uderwriters require that applicants with high performance sport bikes, such
as yours, have had at least 10 years experience on a motorcycle.
So it may be okay if you have a cruiser / low performance sport bike (whatever that may be) if you have less than 10 years with a Class6.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Megson Fitzpatrick

I Have insured through them for 4 year's now , The $ 1000.00 deductable on a Sport Bike is High. ( don't know what the rest of them charge )
But the premium is Excellent it Cost me $ 478.00 for the full year and that covers collision/theft/fire/vandilism/comprehensive ( all perils ) and covers the Storage in the off season , There are also some other goodies such as towing / Hotel saveings ETC.That rate is with a replacement value of $10,000
They are picky about who they insure, But it's not a Bad deal if you Can get it.
I have read some thread's on the INTERNET about them being hard to deal with when it come's to claims ,I know of two Rider's that Have dealt with them on a claim and there were no problems.But I am sure there are thoes that do run into problems with them.
On the other hand I.C.B.C is no Picnic when it comes to claims.

·
yorkshire sheep shagger
535 Posts
Machinist said:
I Have insured through them for 4 year's now , The $ 1000.00 deductable on a Sport Bike is High. ( don't know what the rest of them charge )
But the premium is Excellent it Cost me $ 478.00 for the full year and that covers collision/theft/fire/vandilism/comprehensive ( all perils ) and covers the Storage in the off season , There are also some other goodies such as towing / Hotel saveings ETC.That rate is with a replacement value of $10,000
They are picky about who they insure, But it's not a Bad deal if you Can get it.
I have read some thread's on the INTERNET about them being hard to deal with when it come's to claims ,I know of two Rider's that Have dealt with them on a claim and there were no problems.But I am sure there are thoes that do run into problems with them.

Ditto that, I also have $10,000 replacement coverage, on my 12R & it costs $527 for the full year, I believe this is my 4th year with them as well, but I'm also really ferkin old......sometimes age has its advantages:eek

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
Betamax said:
I thought Megson wasn't insuring sportbikes any more...could be wrong but heard it on the internet, so it might possibly be true.
Oh ya they still insure sportbikes. You need 10 yrs experience with a class 6 if you want to insure a sportbike or 5 yrs experience and graduation from a riding school.

They are definetly cheaper than ICBC.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
BIG_PERM said:
Oh ya they still insure sportbikes. You need 10 yrs experience with a class 6 if you want to insure a sportbike or 5 yrs experience and graduation from a riding school.

They are definetly cheaper than ICBC.
And a fairly decent driving record. 2 or 3 excessive tickets in 2 or 3 years and they won't touch you. that is what I heard from a friend that tried to insure with them.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
fu manchu said:

Your agent is pretty much right, Beacon seems to be a bit cheaper than Coast Capital , quite a bit less than MF but they pick a choose who they take. For instance they won't take an R^

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
FYI...I just heard there is a new motorbike insurer from a guy at Simon's Auto Cycle. Total comprehensive cost was only like $350ish. The insurance company was going around giving pamphlets out. I can't remember the name of the company or the details of the coverage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Machinist said:
I have read some thread's on the INTERNET about them being hard to deal with when it come's to claims ,I know of two Rider's that Have dealt with them on a claim and there were no problems.
M/F uses ING to insure bikes.
When you have a claim you deal directly with an agent from ING.
My experience was relatively painless in this regard.

·
Chief Rocka
391 Posts
Machinist said:
What kind of deductible do you have with MF?

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
i have two bikes through megson, both have $1000 deductible. the cbr with comp and collision, is $383. there is no option to buy down to $500 dollar deductible. the dl is $402 with comp and collision. you still have to buy your basic through icbc. there is quite a bit to be saved if you go through megson, just for example.on the dl i bought a few weeks back icbc quoted me $1800 a year fully covered and that was with a 43% discount. with the basic of icbc at $717 and megson with $402, it comes out to $1119 with a 43% discount fully covered.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Yes, Megson insures bikes (they are actually a broker, thge actual policy is on ING paper).
Yes, they are cheaper, but not by a huge amount.
The value add of their policies are:

You can insure the cost of your gear
You can insure the cost of all the add-ons to your bike provided you have receipts.

For $100 deductable, I'll take that any day. And what's wrong with a $1000 deductable? Are you really going to put in an insurance claim for damage under $500?

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
Deductable

JaK said:
$1,000.
If you buy a New Bike they will Give you Full Replacement value for three year's.
( maybee the rest give full replacement value as well ?? )

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
JaK said:
I have a $1000 deductable, but was given the option of $500, with the corresponding premium increase.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts