BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.... I ride a 05 kawi 636r and Im learning how to clutch it up and am curious as to how bad is it on the bike???? I have yet to smell any thing while i am practicing, I can get it up and ride em out good but not very consistent. Has anybody had any experience with burning out there clutch doing this? or r they able to handle it?

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
I do it quite often, I think if you do it properly, ie: take up the driveline slack before hitting it, the bike can handle it fine. As for the clutch, not a biggie, they aren't that expensive to replace.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah obviously it will wear out in time. ut I want to know how much does this shorten the life of my clutch? and if it does any other harm to my bike.

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Worst case, I think the clutch will last half as long as it would if you didn't do wheelies. My F2 had the original clutch in it up to 50,000 kms. At least the last 20,000 of those kms were ridden by me when I was learning to clutch up wheelies. I experienced no more wear than it already had.

·
Tarded
810 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of clutching wheelies in the first place but it really has very little to do with clutch wear but more to do with control. Totally just my opinion but in this day and age when bikes will power wheelies with so little effort in even second gear the use of the clutch kinda confuses the issue.

I'd say just learn the power curve of your bike and I guarantee (trust me I have tried every 600 out there that's japanese) you you can power it up in second gear. Run your bike up to about 12,000 rpm and then ease off a touch of throttle and the forks will compress slightly under the reduced throttle input and then roll it back on and up comes the front end at about 10,000 rpm to 10,500 ish with a little tug on the bars.

The biggest thing about pulling off great wheelies is actually learning to get to the balance point where you can begin to reduce the throttle input slightly and ride the rear wheel to your hearts content ....or snick another gear and the saga continues.

I remeber at Sport Bike West many years ago hearing a guy tell the story of destroying his new R1 by clutching it up in first gear that day........the thought of someone having to grab a handfull of mystery meat on an R1 to get it up in first is just retarded in itself but it's a quite different than the question you asked.

If you are more comfortable clutching wheelies then ignore everything I have just written ...to each is own.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more so than if you didnt? lol sorry thats about the extent of my knowledge

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I don't wheelie, but when I was at BCIT a classmate had a Yamaha that spent a lot of time on its back wheel. He needed a new transmission after a year, the mechanics said something about oil circulation not working when the bike is up like that.

It also seems that coming down is hard on the forks. I don't know, just putting it out there for the pros to comment.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Squint said:
I don't wheelie, but when I was at BCIT a classmate had a Yamaha that spent a lot of time on its back wheel. He needed a new transmission after a year, the mechanics said something about oil circulation not working when the bike is up like that.

It also seems that coming down is hard on the forks. I don't know, just putting it out there for the pros to comment.
What?!?!? you mean sportbikes are not designed for that stuff?!?!? Bullshit! :laughing jk

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Squint said:

Power wheelies and banging thru the gears will destroy the trans.

Clutching it up allows you to load up the transmission and control the rate at which the front end comes up.

Your not dumping the clutch you just slip it at a certain power point that comes with feel and practice. Never seen a clutch destroy it self from clutch wheelies . Have seen a few blown trans from power shifting.

Powering up is a good way to get a feel for a wheelie but to do good ones you need the clutch.

·
I ain't not no genius
481 Posts
my friends do alot of wheelies and yeah they all have fork seal issues after alot of them.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some good feed back. Thanks guys. First gear power wheelies are a joke I havent been able to power up in second though i havent put much time into trying that. Learning to clucth it up has been fun and i like the feel once i get it up enough to ride a killer long wheelie in second, way more control then a power wheelie. Now can I get it up in 3rd??????? I have the season of 06 to try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts