BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a rich friend of mines brother bought in 2003 a new Honda 600RR. He put on about 5000km, then put it under the rear deck and wrapped it in a tarp. Its been sitting there now for 2 years, improperly stored meaning the battery wasnt hooked up, the tank wasnt filled and no stabalizer was put in, you know the whole deal.

Anyways, hes a rich kid and the novelty has worn off so i could buy the bike off the guy for dirt cheap like say 5000. The problem is the engine, do i need to get a whole new engine and tank or can it be fixed. I was contemplating taking the tank and cleaning it draining it, cleaning the injectors, putting some oil down the spark plus, will that work and is there more i can do?

And question number two, say i do buy this bike for cheap, will i get away with no having to pay the PST that you normally would buying a 2003 RR, since im only buying it for cheap. Can you argue the engine is dead and the bike isnt worth much resulting in only paying PSt on the purchase and not the market value of the bike??

:thewave

·
1,768 Posts
Do you know the engine is dead? It may fire up right away, who knows.

You do only pay PST on the purchase price, not the market value.

;D

·
Registered
708 Posts
Driftland said:
Hey guys, a rich friend of mines brother bought in 2003 a new Honda 600RR. He put on about 5000km, then put it under the rear deck and wrapped it in a tarp. Its been sitting there now for 2 years, improperly stored meaning the battery wasnt hooked up, the tank wasnt filled and no stabalizer was put in, you know the whole deal.

Anyways, hes a rich kid and the novelty has worn off so i could buy the bike off the guy for dirt cheap like say 5000. The problem is the engine, do i need to get a whole new engine and tank or can it be fixed. I was contemplating taking the tank and cleaning it draining it, cleaning the injectors, putting some oil down the spark plus, will that work and is there more i can do?

And question number two, say i do buy this bike for cheap, will i get away with no having to pay the PST that you normally would buying a 2003 RR, since im only buying it for cheap. Can you argue the engine is dead and the bike isnt worth much resulting in only paying PSt on the purchase and not the market value of the bike??

:thewave
Sounds about the way I store my personal bike. Change the oil, fill the tank full with fresh gas and injector cleaner. Get a new battery or try charging the old one and then just ride the thing!

Don't worry about the PST, since the actual value that you declare is REALLY what you did pay for the bike (usually it works the other way around). At best you will have to fill out this form stating why the purchase value is so low. Write down the truth, end of story.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigRed said:
Do you know the engine is dead? It may fire up right away, who knows.

You do only pay PST on the purchase price, not the market value.

;D

Is it really a good idea to fire up a bike that had a half empty tank from 2 years ago?

So then you guys think the 2 years of condensation from a half empty tank and the fumes wont have really damaged the tank much, and i dont need to pull er apart. Just change the oil and filter, maybe drain out the current gas and refill it, run some injector cleaner through it and it should be as good as new?

If thats true then this is shaping up to be a good deal. ^__________^

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Take the tank off and drain the old gas out. Observe what comes out with the old gas and base your decision on that. Chances are just gas will come out, refill with new gas, add new battery and oil and your good to go.

Drain it through both the feed to the motor and by turning it upside down and dump out of the filler ( don''t smoke :) ). This way you are proving the normal feed to the motor is not plugged somehow, and if there is crap in there you'll see it when you dump out of the filler...

If a bunch of crap comes out with the gas then go looking deeper...

Don't forget that the tank was 1/2 full of gas, that makes for gasoline fumes in the tank that displace air and moisture, it's not a given that you have a tank full of water.

If all that works out good and you buy the thing, consider changing the other fluids though, coolant and brake fluid, maybe fork oil if you're adventuresome... or take it to Billy and let him do his thing, a tune up wouldn't hurt.

·
1,768 Posts
I would change oil and drain the tank, but I don't think the engine would be dead or anything wrong with the tank.

You could always have a dealer check it out. I also think Bill (5th Gear) said he would do pick ups, so that way you won't have to start it, just have Bill pick it up and check it out.

;D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome thanks guys, im going to check it out again, and debate a little more with the guy. Im getting pretty pumped now, the idea of a new 600RR for that price.

:thumbup

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I would definitely take advantage of a deal like that. The likelihood of serious mechanical problems is very minute.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
If you can convince the owner that bike is dead, maybe ask 3k for it :p (jk)

In addition to the above, run some fuel line cleaners through, ie, water eliminator, fuel injector cleaner etc.

If it were my bike, I'd drain all the oil, fill with new cheap oil and then crank the (use kill switch) engine over about 10 seconds or so to prime the oil system. Ride for about 100 km and then drain oil and add new good oil.

Heck if the bike was sound, I'd probably think hard about SELLING the bike for a profit and buying a used salvage bike (in otherwise good shape) and put the difference in mods.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
those tanks are plastic...the possibilities of the tank corroding and rusting like a steel tank are slim to none my friend. I'd buy that up sight unseen so long as the rest of the bike is good to go. I would consider possibly throwing some new rubber under it too....depending on what it looks like. either way, sounds like a good deal! New bike for you!!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If the tank is plastic then that's the only problem I can see.

Injectors will likely have to be cleaned out somehow (or replaced?) since the gas in them will be in sad shape by now and may have evaporated and left a congealed goo that is jamming things up.

Definetly plan on changing the brake fluids and coolant by this time. And yeah, the tires will have hardened something terrible. OK for light duty commuting but don't start depending on them for any sort of serious grip in the corners or if you need to stop really suddenly.

All the bare alloy parts will likely have a bloom of whitish corrosion on them by now. That's tough stuff to get rid of and keep gotten rid of once it starts.

It's likely going to smoke like a 3 pack a day floozy for the first little while since the piston rings will likely be a little gummed up in the pistons. But ease into it and then start riding it a little harder and it should pass after a 1000 or so kms.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you buy it, budget for new rubber cuz those buns are prolly gonna be COOKed, other than that the bike should be fine, battery's like $100 MAX. I bet if you drain the old gas and put fresh in you could jump start it right away, if she starts, buy it and just pay for a tune up, you'll be laughin. Whatever you pay for it, get him to write down like 500 or some other lowball price on the reg, that's all you pay tax on, peace

·
Registered
7 Posts
fresh gas, new oil, new plugs and u should fine
i dont see the motor or injectors really having any problems.
if your really worried about the tank drain the old gas

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
it sounds like a bad deal...I wouldn't buy it. Better let me come and check it out...LOL just kiddin! What a score!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts