BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing sprockets,-1,+2, the chain wear gauge is useless. What's the best way to gauge the chain wear? Measure the length of a link every so often? Or just go by sprocket wear?
I don't mean when to adjust the chain, that's obvious, just how to gauge how much life is left in the chain.
This is all theoretical, I haven't changed the sprockets yet.

D

·
0 Posts
chain stretch is measured across so many links. your bike manual would have the correct method.

for example.. max stretch across 20 links is 5/8" over new measurement.

S

·
0 Posts
just pull the chain off the rear sprocket and see how much slack there is when pulling it off. new chains will have next to nothing to pull off the sprocket and completely worn ones will be abled to be pulled past the teeth.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Dude, my chain is fucked. It goes tight and then loose, and the bike lurches all over the place. but the sprokets don't look that bad...whaddaya think...buy cheap chain to get through the winter and then get new chain and sprokets?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think one of your sprockets is bent if its going tight and then slack. Either that or your wheel is out of alignment.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Tight then loose is very common with a stretched chain. The chain is just more stretched in one area then the other.

As far as the repair: it's your money bro. If you can only afford a cheap chain then do that. Just know this route will cost you more in the long run.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If the chain is more stretched in one area than the other, what happens if i time it just right at the tight spot and pull a couple of wheelies to make it stretched all even? LOL

(I guess i will save and do it right by getting everything, and i might as well start getting prices) Hey Mr 5th gear....how much (installed and stock sizes) for my 2002 954?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts