BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't taken the bike over on the ferry, but will be headed to victoria for the day next friday and wanted to see if I could get any tips on how to secure the bike for the ferry crossing

from what I've seen online (which may or may not be correct) it looks like the bike is parked at a 45 degree angle facing the middle of the boat, rear wheel against the side and in gear and on the side stand. It looks like bc ferries supplies a block of wood to put under the the bike to keep it from tipping over. With my ninja 650, and the exhaust undernear the middle of the bike, is this going to work? Any tips or suggestions, or can anyone explain so I know what to expect?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
All you do is shove the block under your the right side of your bike such that it is jammed up against your exhaust or bodywork. Your kickstand prevents the bike from falling over on the left side, the block on the right.

Best not to leave your bike until the ferry has left the terminal. and return to yoru bike before the ferry starts slowing down for the next one.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I *should* go without saying, that your bike needs to be in gear as well :)
assumed as much but thanks :) I leave it in gear everywhere it's parked. Habit after almost dropping the first bike in the first couple of weeks of owning it. I tend to learn these things by screwing it up the first time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Make sure it's well supported and braced in position to accommodate all the kids that will be sitting on it :devillook

Seriously though, the suggestions above are spot on. Even though I have a centre-stand on my bike, I always use the in gear, side stand, choc-brace on right side to secure my bike.

The wait until the ferry has left is an important one. Although you have made the effort to secure your bike, the next rider may not be as knowledgable or diligent and you don't want their bike tipping into yours.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
and as mention get to your bike before the docking.. the captains can hit the bumpers pretty damn hard

·
Registered
790 Posts
Is the ferry ride bumpy enough to set off a disc brake lock? I would be tempted to put it on just to keep people from getting onto the bike but something tells me it would go off more than once...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm paranoid on the ferry.

You want:
- your back wheel solid against the rail on the side of the ferry
- your bike facing 45 degrees to the centreline of the ferry
- on sidestand
- front wheel turned and locked
- a wheel chock stuffed under your bike from the opposite side of your side stand (I will actually unload the suspension a bit as I push the chock under so there's a bit of the bike's weight keeping the chock from vibrating away from it's position)
- a second wheel chock in front of the front tire to keep the bike from rolling forward (again, stuffed under a bit so it won't vibrate away.

- Be at your bike until the ferry is under way, and be back at the bike before it docks.
- I'll stand by the bike and grab the brakes to keep the bike from rolling (if being in gear and the wheel chock both fail)

Be ready to get out of the way in case the moron next to you doesn't chock properly. you don't want to get your leg pinned to your nice stable bike when his wobbly steed topples over on you.

Oh yeah - don't eat the food on the ferry. But you already knew that one.

ps - disc lock? Where is it going to go?

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
Haven't been on the Ferries for a while, but at last memory, those decks are slicker than puppy shit, so taker easy and avoid any puddles. I have memories of a 3 bicycle pile up many moons ago as a couple friends tried racing to the end :rolleyes

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
Heh - is those pix from the MLA Ride or something? Never seen *that* kind of moto-congestion before!

·
Moto Compulsive
223 Posts
Heh - is those pix from the MLA Ride or something? Never seen *that* kind of moto-congestion before!
Just a regular sailing back from the Sunshine Coast in June 2011. I was shocked at the number of bikes that just kept rolling in 2 or 3 at a time.

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
Day-um! Guess we were lucky last Saturday - only about 20 bikes each way on the Langdale 9:25 / 4:50 sailings.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts