BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother-inlaw's computer stopped working a few days ago. No matter how nicely I whisper sweet-nothings to it, it refuses to boot. Push the button and nothing happens. No lights, no whirring of hard drives.

Can someone point me to an online troubleshooting checklist? If it's something I can do myself, I'll give it a try.

I'm told that its deep-sleep was first discovered a day or two after my mother-inlaw lost power on that stormy day last week. The computer *was* off when the power went out. The power outage and the computer's demise could be related -- who knows.

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts

Is it connected to a power bar? Is the outlet the power bar or PC was plugged into grounded? Not all power bars are surge suppressing, and some which are, don't supress surges (ie. crap). If the outlet isn't grounded, then surge suppressed or not, it doesn't matter. Are you getting power from the outlet?
Could be the computers' power supply.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
If the power cable is plugged in properly (wouldnt be the first time) and the wall outlet powers other electrical devices without the surge bar (which could have been tripped shut) its definitely a hardware issue and it will cost a few coins.

I just went through the exact same thing with my motherboard. It suddenly shut down while running windows and wouldnt even hint at rebooting ever again. Turns out I needed a new mobo.

In your case, after clearing the above, you will have to start by pulling the PSU and check the voltages coming out with a voltmeter.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Nice flow chart ;)

Computer was plugged into a cheapo power bar. I first checked that the computer's power cable was plugged into a socket that had power to it.

Do cables ever fry? Probably not. But that would be something I could easily check myself.

This computer is an old Frankenstein's monster look-alike (made from spare parts from here and there). We're not looking to sink a lot money trying to fix it. We'd be better off buying something new. It's just that my mother-inlaw is a senior without a lot of spare dough.

If we HAD to buy another, I see NCIX has starter systems for $300 (jinkies!). Enough power for what it will be used for.

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Never had a power cable fry, but anything is possible. I have had PCs not power up, until the power cable was removed from the back and replugged in. Can't figure out why they haven't designed a snap-in power cord yet.

·
Not a sexual innuendo
239 Posts
ive had wires on my power supply fry (actually catch a small fire). Suprisingly, i retaped all the wires and insulated them with tape and 3 years later im still using it for this computer.

To test if its the power supply, just grab one from another computer and swap them. Its pretty easy, as its only a few plugs to switch (one to the mobo, maybe a few to the hardrives and cd roms , which you dont even need to plug in if you are just testing if the old power supply is bad).

Also,

FYI- the switch in the back of the power supply is labelled with an 0 and a 1.
1 means on and 0 means off

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume I would have to buy something with the same specs as the old power supply. Will that information be detailed on the old unit somewhere? What would it look like? ie. what kind of numbers or ratings?

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
You should get by just looking at the continous watts output
(not the peak/max) of the PSU. There will be a sticker on the outside panel of the PSU once you open up the side panel.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
ya, power supply, or check the switch. somethimes they break. follow the power switch to the mb, and remove the plastic connector to the mb. Bridge the two gold pins with a piece of metal, then either your psu, mb, or cpu is dead. Remove all components you don't need, until you'r left with the video card, cpu(and hs), mb, ram, and power supply. swap power supply first, it's the easiest. If it still doesn't power up, remove the video card, try that. if nothing, remove memory,, if nothing, remove cpu (be carefull). It should power up with no beeps, if nothing, your mb is pooched.

If it's an older computer it's not worth trying to find replacement parts unless u can get them used. Hey gord, I don't work at ncix anymore, but I can help out if u need it.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, the sticker on the PSU says "GLC Switching Power Supply model LC-B350ATX". 350 Watt output.

What's the equivalent model at NCIX ? The models/specs confuzzle me.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
http://search.ncix.com/displayproductdetail.php?sku=15489&vpn=W0070&manufacture=THERMALTAKE

I just got that one myself. I got it for cheap though b/c it was on sale ($40?). It works for you too. Supports new mobo and old mobo's. It supports 20pin and 24pin mobo's. Plus you get those round cables for better air flow and ease of installation

I think the cheapest power supply out there for you is $25 (350watt). If you don't mind the noise, get the cheap one. Some cheap ones aren't actually that loud. Ask them if they can hook one up for you to hear since the cheap ones usually come with no box. Just the power suplly.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
loud doesn't matter, it's the components inside that matter, forton, sparkle, antec, enermax, thermaltake has been good as well. Can't say I've ever worked with glc tho. Here's a good replacement.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12389&vpn=PO350-GUS&manufacture=Sparkle Power Intl.

best of the cheap. I run enrmax or antec. but if you want to save money, the sparkle ones are golden (sparkle and forton are the same company, made by the fsc group, which oems for dell, compaq, ibm and bunch of other companies)

You can tell a good power supply from a cheap one by the wieght, the cheap ones skimp out on quality components and use shitty heatsinks.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
But do try and listen if you can. I build my uncle a computer before. Got a power supply and it was within specs but had no idea about the noise level.

It is so loud, it is absurd. Sounds like we have 10 pcs in the room.

T

·
0 Posts
Loads of fun you kinda need a second part computer to plug and play/ something went its all about figuring out what?

T

·
0 Posts
I have a 300 and a 350 watt ps @ 20 bucks each. Brand new just replaced with my enermax when i bought system..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts