BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
TGIF...Toes Go In First
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering taking Hwy 6 from Nakusp to Vernon in July. I realize that I will have to take the Needles ferry across the Lower Arrow Lake...but wondering if anyone has been on this route before and if so, how were the road conditions?

Any info would be appreciated. :)

·
fat old bastard
826 Posts
it was seal coated 2 years ago, so it should be in good shape.
It is one of the nicest roads in BC on a bike, very little traffic and quite twisty.Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Beautiful road...lots of bends, nice scenery.
Watch out for deer on the road...dozens of them at a time. Logging trucks use the road as well and I was almost wacked by one coming around a bend on my side of the road a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
From Vernon, it starts off as a short shot of smooth 4 lane, then dissolves into a twisty bit by farmland, and rattling over the train tracks in a nasty off camber left. Smooth into Lumby, although heavily patrolled, when the Lumby Detachment is not dismantling a nearby grow op.
East of Lumby you get some smooth asphalt, followed by rougher stuff past Cherryville.
Stop at the Gold Panner and have a piece of rhubarb and strawberry pie if you can. It's on the left of a downhill right corner, into the first of a few interesting switchbacks in and out of draws.
Clear sailing after that, which decent road conditions, and yes, lots of critters, and the occasional farm vehicle. I'm not sure how active the logging is at the moment, but please watch out for the detritus thrown up by logging trucks as they/you pass.
The ferry is a complete no brainer. Idle, I said idle, your way to the front of the line, and be polite to the locals. Recently (okay, a few years ago) a group of loud motorcycles rapped their way to the front of the line, caused a stir, and a calm, cool, logging truck driver removed their tire valve stems while the riders cooled off at the picnic area. Really ruined their day, but the motorists who had been harrassed had a nice smile and wave for the riders as they got on the ferry, leaving the motorcylists behind. The ferry sails limited hours, I think 11 or 12 midnight is the last sailing, and it sails "on demand." The ride if 15 or 20 minutes, if that. If you arrive there, and it's on the other side, it'll come and get you. It's free. Northward to Nakusp is a bit of a boring drone. After the rains, usually in the fall, the gas station/restaraunt on the east end of the ferry serves mushroom burgers. Big deal, you say. Fresh, wild mushrooms picked by the locals, I say. A pinnacle of mushroom burgers. Don't buy gas there though. The fellow has some strange ideas about fueling motorcycles. Buy gas in Lumby, it's usually a couple of cents less costly than Vernon, if you buy Shell fuel.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I was through there last year. Very treacherous road, stay on your toes. There are some rough spots, nothing dramatic but you will be picking your ass up off the seat if you ride with spirited intent. I've done it twice heading east from Lumby, it would be very easy to get suckered into danger in several locations. Definitely some awesome riding, don't crash because only the coyotes will find your body.

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
I've ridden it once only, in summer 2005 from Vernon to Nakusp.

Incredible stretch of twisty road, about 100+ km (?) long and one of the nicest I have been on.

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
First, you may want to pick up a copy of Destination Highways BC, which does a nice job documenting the best twisty roads in BC.

Second, I rode that stretch a couple of times last year. Good pavement and great sweepers except for a small stretch towards the ferry side where the pavement gets rougher for a short bit and the turns quite a bit tighter.

Generally not much traffic once you get past a Cherryville.

Enjoy the trip :)

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I've ridden this route for 15 yrs now. The road quality is vared from wonderful smooth arching turns to frost heaved tar stripped tank shaking hell, where dual sport bikes do very well. Many deer from Cherryville east. Many cops from Cherryville west, watch around the golf course. Probably the most dangerous spot on the whole route is eastbound just east of the pass lodge making the way down the ridge. There is a serious decreasing radius right hander, marked at 20 kmhr, which, believe me, is a 20kmhr right hander, it will get you, as the road just east consists of very fun left eright combinations at 80-90kmhr.
I've heard there has been issues with bikes at the ferry cable water crossing, that bikes no longer get priority boarding, because of that issue with a bunch of open piped HD fuckers. This would be a shame. The road east going down the ramp is very steep, a bugger to park the bike right so it doesn't tip over or roll off the center stand, and usually a 1 sailing wait if you have to line up.
The Mushroom Addition Restaurant on the east side of the ferry does have great food. And he has always told us that his only pump marked 87 octane is actually 89. I don't know, I rarely get gas there, I'm usually good to go fuel wise from Lumby to Nakusp, where my destination is.
Steve

·
Lee RideFar
5,463 Posts
It is an incredible stretch of fast road. It is very dangerous as well, a spirited riding pace made me blow a corner last year. The really tight turns do come up really fast and the last turn before the ferry can be pretty damn scary if you are not prepared.

The highway is best enjoyed on the way back, being the first one off the ferry. You can almost be guaranteed of 100kms of free road with NO cars in front of you.

+1 to the restaurant. The food is VERY good.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
The ferry is a complete no brainer. Idle, I said idle, your way to the front of the line, and be polite to the locals. Recently (okay, a few years ago) a group of loud motorcycles rapped their way to the front of the line, caused a stir, and a calm, cool, logging truck driver removed their tire valve stems while the riders cooled off at the picnic area.
I rode this route a couple of years ago and loved it. I idled to the front of the queue at the ferry too, expecting it to be just like any other ferry. I didn't notice until we were boarding that there was a sign that said "no priority loading for motorcycles" or some such. There weren't any signs before that to let us know. It would be nice if the ferries were operated in a consistent manner.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
If you have time explore more of the Kootenay region. One of the best regions to ride in BC.

Here's the route I take:
Hwy 3 to Keremeos
Hwy 3a
Left at Green Mnt Rd passing Apex Mnt towards Penticton
Hwy 97
Left Westside Rd, before the bridge to Kelowna, passing through Fintry
Pops out in Vernon
The route your talking about.
If you have time do a loop around New Denver, Kaslo, Nelson
Hwy 31a is one of the best with new pavement
Also taking the Galena Ferry over to the Revelstoke and heading up Revelstoke Mnt is worth the ride.

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
Just did Hwy. 6 the weekend before last, road is in good shape, although there are a few frost heaves and cracks developing, but nothing like the Duffy. If you're not familiar with this route, take it easy.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
Last Year I did Vernon to Nakusp, New Denver and then Kaslo.

To save you a long read.

Awesome.

·
TGIF...Toes Go In First
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, thanks fellas for all of the excellent info! I'm gonna be heading through there after SBS via Castlegar. Should make for an awesome trip! I'll definitely keep it easy through there for my first time through! :)

·
No bike for now...
890 Posts
It's a great ride, but watch out for blind corners that are tighter than they look.

When I rode it, I came up behind a car at one corner and cursed it for going so slow, then followed it into the corner and realized that I probably wouldn't have made the corner at the speed I intended. A sphincter-tightening moment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like everyone has said, It's a frickin' awesome ride. It does get technical though and I do know a couple of people who have wrecked there, Angel falls area especially.

Also it is an open range so it is not unlikely that you will come across cattle on the road, they'll mess you up and you'll get charged for the beef too. These cattle are not sensitive to traffic either, I have personally watched someone kick the side of a cow while riding past.

·
Registered
385 Posts
OK here we go and as a local some may think of this as biased... meh sobeit. The thing is the fun doesn't stop at Nakusp, it contiues to Kaslo to Granforks. The "Strange fellow's" name is Roger (if I remember correctly) and he's one hellova nice guy, always willing to entertain and help anyone in need esp. if they have two wheels under them I would suggest gassing in Vernon then gassing up at the Mush. Hut. Reason? He only sells 91 octane. Those who are foolish enough to let anouther gas their ride deserve any "strange doings" :evilgrin I just rode to the Mush hut last week and let me tell ya, it's been the best ride sofar this year. Theres one touchy corner though about 5kms' right before the ferry, its a right hander and it's as tight as phuck but well worth going slow the first time to check it out then turning around and attacking it in a more aggressive fashion. 20km/hr corner :rockon Anywho, if ya have the time I'd suggest a big run you'd never regret it. Start Vernon return to Vernon. Vernon-Nakusp-Kaslo-Granforks-Rutland(via hwy 33? Oh I can't remember :drinkbeer , but you do not come back through Penticton.) Kelowna-Vernon is the only boring part. It's an all day sorta thing with stops but it's worth it's weight in gold. The other route that was suggested was Galena, it's a beutiful ride however not as fun, lots of straights no real twisty action and DEER at all times of day. I swear those pesky bastards lay in wait for vehicles.

*edit* as metioned by Starsky it is a techincal ride. Theres more then one corner on the way to the ferry that will bitch slap you if you haven't been aquainted with the road, so be careful and hava wicked ride.

*edit again* after reading some more of this thread I noticed someone saying the gas is 89, things must of change or I misunderstood the chap. I can remember Roger saying his pumps serve 91 oct 3-4 years ago. Hmph not that it changes anything. I could be wrong i could not be, who gives a phuck. XD

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
It's called the Monashee hiway, and is one of the best roads to be on in BC with a bike! Hell even when I'm in my truck, I want to open the door and hang a knee! I love that road! When in Fauquier, just past the needles ferry, be sure to stop into Mushroom Addiction! In the fall, they have the best mushrooms around!

There are actually 3 corners that will fuck you up if you go too fast. The most prominent one is called Deep Creek Corner. If you fuck up it is close to 1KM down. Don't!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did that road last weekend, was a blast like always, about half way to the ferrie there is a couple places with gravel but it is marked. If your headed the ferrie way there is 2 20k corners that are pretty close to each other both left handers , and very tight, dragged the knee and my toe slider on the 1st one lol, I was like holly crap this is tight. Very fun road though. Gotta love the big ass sweeper right before the ferrie. If your comming from the other way, once you get off the ferrie give her crap and you can get infront of eveyone as there is 2 very long strights and you wont see pretty much anyone the whole way.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts