BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not a fan of making endless new threads on the same topics so I'll bump this dinosaur.*

I road Hwy 6 from lavington(home base for me between Vernon and Lumby) to Edgewood/needles ferry and back yesterday for the first time this year right over the pass. To anyone heading over this direction Lumby is your last premium fuel on this side, cherryville both franks and the emporium only have regular. Lumby to cherryville is heavily populated(for a rural area lol) and regularly policed so is not the area to turn things loose. Wait until you're past the gold planner for much lighter traffic. *The cherryville area is where I saw the most gravel on corners. Cherryville to spruce grove was quite clean and is mature seal coated road so a little rough but not bad and good grip. Spruce grove to the district boundary was clean and just past spruce grove you get onto 'real' pavement again. Angel falls is in great shape and clean and then the huge straights and fast open sweepers to Edgewood are in good shape again. I believe it's somewhere after angel falls it turns into mature seal coat again. Seems it switches back and forth throughout from sealcoat to pavement. All in good shape though.

I rolled into Edgewood which is a 10km jaunt off the highway. Urban/rural road so I road it respectfully and had no issue but bits of gravel on it here and there. Edgewood has premium. Then I went back to the highway and continued to the ferry about 15km or so. From the Edgewood turn off to the ferry the highway is what I would call urban/rural again plenty of side roads and driveways so despite being quite straight best to use some caution through this area. I passed a dog wandering down the highway in this section.

As has been mentioned over and over in this thread. This road can bite you in a hurry and best to use a good deal of caution if it's your first go at it. It has plenty of tight tight corners, angel falls area is just stellar but easy to get in over your head. *Also cherryville to the grove has a couple 20km curves and a number of nasty blind corners but there is quite a few blinds on this Hwy as a whole. *Wildlife is possible anytime, anywhere in this road deer, moose, bear, you name it. My close call yesterday was with a frigging giant vulture of some sort eating a deer carcass on the side of the road on the big straights east of angel falls. That bird would've wiped me right off my bike if he'd come my way anymore. Was a sobering moment for certain.*

I've travelled this highway my whole life and for me it's my very best riding that is 'local' to me. Overall the road is in terrific shape. Little to no significant frost heaves. Road surface is fantastic, no big potholes and once past cherryville the couple spots with a bit of gravel were marked with signage. *

I'm going right across the ferry next week for a overnight trip with the wife. Hoping to do Nakusp, kaslo, grand forks, and back to Rutland. It'll be a overnighter as my wife doesn't like to ride to long of a day.

I was going to throw in a photo but then realized it has my plate number on it and I remember what happened last time I did that. Lol. Aliens I tell U! *Aliens!**

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quick question. New Denver to Nelson is best through Kaslo 3a vs staying on hwy6 correct?

I'm trying to talk la wifeo into staying the night in Nelson and then grand forks/Hwy 33 back the next day. This seems like a solid route/loop but any suggestions or tips are welcome. I definetly can't make it any longer really or it'll get the kibosh. Nelson seems like a good middle point for a overnight. We'll be staying in a hotel. Also any recommendations in that department. I feel somewhat nervous about bike security. *But I'm always sketched out like that when away from home. Lol.**

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I was down that way recently. Stayed in a cheap, clean, motel in Kaslo(kaslo motel). 78 bucks. Do not eat at the fish&chip takeout at the gas station - huge ripoff. Road between Kaslo and New Denver is nothing to write home about but many bikers rave about it. Stop in at the Yammy dealer between Nelson and Kaslo and say hi. I had to hide out there for a bit (lol)and the owner was super friendly. I'm thinking of moving to Cherryville just so I can ride the Monashee daily. What a great ride!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for the tips.*

Yah I'm thinking we go out the monashee first because then we get that ride over to the ferry when we are freshest. *my wife is a good rider been licensed for 25 years and ridden lots, had a couple ninja 500's in her past. But I do worry about her getting fatigued from any technical sections. She's already leery to do such a distance. That's why I'm hoping to make Nelson the first day/night so the 2nd day isn't quite as far. Although maybe if we did it in reverse and pushed through to kaslo on the first day the 2nd would seem shorter?

Seems either direction it's a solid plan. Just hoping I can talk her into the distance. She was suggesting staying in Nakusp and I could do a out and back again from there over to kaslo or something. But meh. I'd rather just go out and back the monashee if I was only staying in Nakusp and skip the ferry and the ride into Nakusp/hotel. *

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I just did a lower Kootenay Lake loop last week starting and returning to Creston going thru Nelson. Went as far north as Nakusp, then back south and over Hwy 31A. The stretch between New Denver and Kaslo was ok, interesting for the most part. There were several bumps that were enough to kick me out of the seat as u set up for corners though ..... quite unsettling. Looks like some pretty cool places to stay in Kaslo.

For me, the best part of that loop is from Kootenay Bay ferry south to Creston. Absolutely stellar pavement and sight lines for the entire 80 km.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,071 Posts
Quick question. New Denver to Nelson is best through Kaslo 3a vs staying on hwy6 correct?

I'm trying to talk la wifeo into staying the night in Nelson and then grand forks/Hwy 33 back the next day. This seems like a solid route/loop but any suggestions or tips are welcome. I definetly can't make it any longer really or it'll get the kibosh. Nelson seems like a good middle point for a overnight. We'll be staying in a hotel. Also any recommendations in that department. I feel somewhat nervous about bike security. *But I'm always sketched out like that when away from home. Lol.**
Food at Mike's Place Pub in the Hume hotel is solid. Good food, large portions, great value, and a neat room. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
582 Posts
We are considering staying at the alpine inn motel. I like the looks of the parking there. Off street and probably right in front of our door. Also walking distance to all the hub ub and whatnot. But by reviews a very quiet setting. *But I'm keeping options open. *I am concerned about parking, I'm paranoid that way. I trust no one. It's great to have insurance but sucks to have to use it ime. So I'm basically a insurers wet dream as I am fanatical about looking out for my stuff myself. I won't sleep well if our bikes are just out on the street or right next to the street. *

We won't book until next Monday and only if the weather is going to be decent. Otherwise plans will change. I did get the go ahead for the loop though. Really looking forward to it and hoping the weather stays favourable. We are both fair weather riders. I very much dislike riding in the rain.*
i will keep The Hume and Mikes pub in mind. What is the parking like there? Lol.

·
Registered
582 Posts
For me, the best part of that loop is from Kootenay Bay ferry south to Creston. Absolutely stellar pavement and sight lines for the entire 80 km.
Unfortunately we won't make it that far over I think. Plan is Nelson overnight and then to castlegar and the crows nest over to 33 and back up. Sounds like maybe another trip it would be good to plan to get over/down to Creston.*

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There's also the riders campground in Nakusp if you want cheap. They supply all the gear - you just move into ready to go tent with all the gear. Pay showers. Evening campfire with hosts and guests. Friggin mosquitoes were brutal last year around this time(they got cans of bug dope everywhere ...lol). It's not my cup of tea but whatever.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nah. I'm not that cheap. Lol. We don't camp we glamp when we go to the wilderness, 27ft trailer. But still good to know about, sounds like it could be fun. Nakusp is to close to home for me to want to stay over though. 2hrs tops from my own bed. When travelling by streetbike all our trips will be hotel I think. Camping is dirtbiking time to me.*

·
Registered
582 Posts
Frigging weather! *We put our trip off a week because the weather was crap and this week the weather still looked crap so we decided to do Edgewood and back and atleast get a good hwy 6 run in today. We made it to the top of mine hill out past cherryville, just before spruce grove. Frigging downpour and blacker than black. So turned it around, headed back and out Mabel lake. Stopped for lunch at wilsey dam and the spillway was roaring. Mabel is a decent road but pretty heavily populated. Still a decent ride but man, I want into the kootenays!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hit up hwy6 to Edgewood and back yesterday. Beautiful day and ride. The road is in great shape. A couple minor spots of a little bit of gravel and two good sized 'bumps' straight across the road that are poorly marked between spruce grove(kettle valley turnoff) and the summit heading east. *As I mentioned in another thread I hit up the 7km of paradise that is angel falls five times. Three complete on the way over and one complete and two halves on the way back. *I could lap that section all day. The nicest section of road I ever get to ride.*

*Let's see starting the evening before I tore up my big toe moving bikes around in the shop with sandals on and leaving a kickstand down, fucking stupid. Then just before the canoe launch at the bottom of the hill in cherryville I got stung. *Then on the way back on the big straights I lost the glass out of one of my cheap ass signal mirrors. That made three things and I was done with shitty luck! * *

We had lunch in Edgewood and a swim. The campground/boat launch area has real nice washroom/shower rooms that are seemingly accessible to the public and the water in arrow lakes was fantastic. We are heading over again today and tomorrow too. *
* IMG_2137.jpg

·
How to ride
1,169 Posts
Hit up hwy6 to Edgewood and back yesterday. Beautiful day and ride. The road is in great shape. A couple minor spots of a little bit of gravel and two good sized 'bumps' straight across the road that are poorly marked between spruce grove(kettle valley turnoff) and the summit heading east. *As I mentioned in another thread I hit up the 7km of paradise that is angel falls five times. Three complete on the way over and one complete and two halves on the way back. *I could lap that section all day. The nicest section of road I ever get to ride.*

We had lunch in Edgewood and a swim. The campground/boat launch area has real nice washroom/shower rooms that are seemingly accessible to the public and the water in arrow lakes was fantastic. We are heading over again today and tomorrow too. *
Where is this 7km of paradise you call "Angel Falls"?

We rode out to the dead-end town of Edgewood once just to see what was there. Had a sandwich and fueled up only. Next time we'll pack some swim suits. Great idea.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So heading east. After the summit and past the rest area. There's signage for truckers to check brakes and there's like three or four homes right along the highway. There is also signage for 7km of twisty Rd. Right after angel falls twisties is the big straights before you come to the Edgewood turn off.* lots of 50km recommended corners some 40 and right down to a 20. Non stop for 7km. I've ridden that section about 10 times this weekend over three days.
This pic is the sign from the east(Edgewood side). Coming from the east it kind of starts with a bridge that states 'yield to oncoming traffic'. Coming from the west it starts right after the few homes. I've heard in past days there was a general store and cafe there and even way back a gas station. Now it's just like four homes though in the middle of nowhere. **

IMG_2146.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's my favourite section of the road although the whole thing is pretty fantastic. A lot of it is real fast though and there's always the thought of wildlife. Over the last three days I only saw one cruiser and that was today coming home(heading west) between cherryville and Lumby. They were driving east with no radar on. Traffic was heavy by this point and I'd resigned myself to my position in the road. 750km of hwy6 this weekend, i road hard, went with a plan each day and really worked on my skill set.*

Pretty stoked, my wife road Edgewood to home non stop today and has not been suffering discomfort. Her riding is getting stronger and stronger.*

·
How to ride
1,169 Posts
So heading east. After the summit and past the rest area. There's signage for truckers to check brakes and there's like three or four homes right along the highway. There is also signage for 7km of twisty Rd. Right after angel falls twisties is the big straights before you come to the Edgewood turn off.* lots of 50km recommended corners some 40 and right down to a 20. Non stop for 7km. I've ridden that section about 10 times this weekend over three days.
This pic is the sign from the east(Edgewood side). Coming from the east it kind of starts with a bridge that states 'yield to oncoming traffic'. Coming from the west it starts right after the few homes. I've heard in past days there was a general store and cafe there and even way back a gas station. Now it's just like four homes though in the middle of nowhere.

I know that section but never knew what it was called. It's so fun. We usually hit it from the west side heading uphill from the ferry. Very likely looping through there last week of August if we don't go across the border.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That would be from the east heading west if you're coming from the ferry and going uphill. Regardless. That is the finest bit of road I get to ride on a regular basis. Uphill is fun/confidence inspiring but the downhill is fun in its own challenging way. There's a bit of gravel here and there and it seems to change daily depending on vehicles cutting corners and kicking some into the roadway. *That's why I like to lap it, check for hazards and get a feel first. I just really could go on and on about Hwy 6 and angel falls in particular.

I'm going out and over again this Sunday is the plan. *

·
Registered
582 Posts
Any of y'all ever make it over to 'my' road. I've lost track of how many times I've been over, summit, part way, whatever. I have been getting out on hwy6 I'd say atleast 3-4 days a week. If you ever see a black and silver f4i looking pretty comfortable with the road, that's me. I've been seeing tons of bikes out there lately. I am finding I just enjoy it more and more the more I ride it. I still have never seen enforcement past cherryville. Not once. I have come across a number of cruisers in cherryville though acting very stealthy with no radar just continuously on. I can't recommend this Hwy enough.*

21 - 40 of 68 Posts