BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50677&documentID=141230

An electric bike with the power of a 600 supersport machine? Sounds shocking, but that’s what designers Phil Hallahan and Robert O’Brien have come up with.

For the full story on this, don’t miss the new MCN, out April 17.

Designed in collaboration with Kawasaki Canada, " The Amplifier " ,as it’s known, doesn’t do away with conventional fuel entirely. Rather, it follows the lead of " hybrid " cars by using an efficient petrol engine – a 660cc single – to keep the batteries charged.

There’s no gearbox, as the motor means it can produce maximum torque from zero to its top speed without the need to change up.

There are no plans currently to put it into production, but if emissions laws continue to tighten the Amplifier may well get a second hearing.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno Lloyd, I just cut and pasted from the website....doesn't it look really close to the ZXRR ???? I am going to chapters today - go read that article....

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Back to the subject: I'm all for alternative sources of energy, but until they are as exciting as the gasoline powered versions, they won't turn my crank. A 660cc single? That would not only sound terrible, but shake the bejesus out of you. Long live the inline 4!!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hu99 said:
Back to the subject: I'm all for alternative sources of energy, but until they are as exciting as the gasoline powered versions, they won't turn my crank. A 660cc single? That would not only sound terrible, but shake the bejesus out of you. Long live the inline 4!!
BMW uses a 650 single, aka known as the Thumper. But you do get great gas milage out of it.

J

·
0 Posts
Hu99 said:
I think you forgot the part about electric engines making tons of torque from essentially 0 RPM. It's be a wheelie machine! Besides it would probably be one hell of a sleeper in a drag race cause of the torque curve, you'd be accelerating incredibly hard without having to get the bike up to almost 10k RPM to get power!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jay P said:

I think you forgot the part about electric engines making tons of torque from essentially 0 RPM. It's be a wheelie machine! Besides it would probably be one hell of a sleeper in a drag race cause of the torque curve, you'd be accelerating incredibly hard without having to get the bike up to almost 10k RPM to get power!

we don't know the weight......batteries aren't feather light.....plus the material for the massive generator?

J

·
0 Posts
Human said:

we don't know the weight......batteries aren't feather light.....plus the material for the massive generator?

How about this reason then, when you blow by cops at several times the legal limit they can't hear you coming several blocks away :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts