BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 470 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please try to look past the arrogance.

Last night I said goodbye to my GSXR1000 and a part of my life that I will remember fondly. It's been a good ride the last 10 years.

The proverbial question, why? It's a combination of a few things, one of which is the changing face of the rider community, at least from my perspective. The second contributer is that the thrill is gone. Allow me to elaborate further.

Back in the day, it was Steve, Kevin, Harps, Sushi, ZX9'r, Kim, Flyin', Chops, RatRacer, Cosworth, Chromedome, BMXR, Good 'ole Pete, and a handfull of others like Adamantium, AtomLowe, Mr. Murphy, and Big Jim, all great riders in their own right. Trusted them with my life a couple times every week. Yeah, we were crazy fast at times, but rarely did one fuck up the other. Kind of like Cirque on asphalt without the leotards.

Now I am sure there are riders out there today that fall in or near the same category, but outside of Saint Nick and Brad I haven't ridden with you. Which brings on an interesting subject: Who is King of the Hill? I admit, I challenge each and every one of you every time we ride, I just don't say it out loud. Numerous times this season I have arrived at the church with 20-30 bikes waiting, asking "Has anyone gone up yet? I need rabbits you see, otherwize its boring as Hell riding up front all by myself. Yes people, I, like you ride sportbikes for speed, adrenaline pump, ego stroke, whatever you want to label it. Anyone who claims that they have a 150hp sport bike "just to tool around" is, for the most part, lying to themselves.

"Frank, the fast group already left. Probably 5- 10 minutes ago, probably won't catch them".........so I wait a few minutes more and then the chase is on. I am quickly disappointed that by Lion's Bay I am riding alone, with a handful of bikes behind me, and I'm going a blistering 60km/h waiting for them to catch up so I can burn through a couple more turns with them in tow, only to have to repeat the waiting game again 5 miles down the road. This, and I'm probably running at only 80% (which is my street limit anyways). As I said, try and look beyond my arrogance here.

No one to chase anymore, its not the same ..........I'm done.

Second contributing factor: the PoPo. Never have I had a season where a ride through the mountains has me so throttle nervous. Fast for a few turns, then off throttle as I see what appears to be a white car 2 miles ahead in the opposite lane. I cannot ride a GSXR1000 120km/h for longer than 5 minutes. Doing it for 20 minutes up in the mountains is the most painful experience I have had on a sportbike. More so than even crashing.

On, off, on ,off, on, off, not fun, ...........I'm done.

Now, for the regular riding folks I have met this year, you're all great people. But let me offer you some unsolicited advice, and newbies need to listen up.

Whenever I have been with a group of riders (squamish crowd as one example), the conversations are very different than what we engaged in "back in the day". Today, these dicussions are about people, bikes, social events, bike modifications, .......heck! Label it all gossip. People don't talk about technique, tips and tricks anymore. Most of our discussions were around cornering techniques, how tires behave, how to surf gravel, how to concentrate, distance between bikes, etc. Wherer are the mentors? I sure as heck was asking questions at every break we had. Why aren't you?

No one wore fucking headphones and everyone was in full gear!

So I am done with speed for now. That's what these things are made for and that's what I use them for. Plain and simple. Track days? Sure, I'll still do a couple each year to enjoy the chase, but for at least the foreseable future, I'm going to enjoy the scenery.

See ya 'round.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
CoolDaddyGroove said:
Trusted them with my life a couple times every week. Yeah, we were crazy fast at times, but rarely did one fuck up the other. Kind of like Cirque on asphalt without the leotards.
Wow, I've never heard it summed up so well. That's perfect.

It was for many of the same reasons that I stopped street-riding a little while ago. Also the same reasons I started riding supermoto - to ride with people faster (and WAY crazier) than me, hardcore full-gear no attitude riders, and still being able to have tonnes of fun under 120kmh.

I'm sad that I may never (never?) have a chance to ride with you again Frank. Not that I'm really riding right now anyway, but I was planning on getting back to it next season. Maybe a season or two off might change your mind?

Regardless, we'll always have Spokane...

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
CoolDaddyGroove said:
Please try to look past the arrogance.

Please try to be less arrogant then.

And dude, the #1 plate is the fastest. I don't recall there being any "Sea to Sky Motorcycle Club". I love riding dangerously fast on mountain roads but "racing" does in fact belong on the track. Maybe other fast guys have enough sanity to not want to ride (or race on the road) with lunatics.

Some valid points otherwise perhaps, but mostly hilarious.

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
the more i see and hear about my friends giving it up...it seems that my twist of fate.... twice no less... my have forced my hand too.

i still dream of riding agian... it is something that is still very hard to push away.... if you know me you probably know that i still havent given up on the dream... and like Cos, and CDG.... we all ride for the same reason.

i only rode for 4 years... racked more km's in 2mths than most will do in their life.

i have been trying to justify it to myself why i should ride...no why i HAVE to ride...

i can deal with my headaches...back pain... fucked up knees...can i put my family and GF through another season, or more?

i dont know, but i am stupid and block headed...so...?

CDG.. i had fun riding with you when we had the chance....maybe track days are the place to be from now on?

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
CorvetteBoy said:
Please try to be less arrogant then.

And dude, the #1 plate is the fastest. I don't recall there being any "Sea to Sky Motorcycle Club". I love riding dangerously fast on mountain roads but "racing" does in fact belong on the track. Maybe other fast guys have enough sanity to not want to ride (or race on the road) with lunatics.

Some valid points otherwise perhaps, but mostly hilarious.
Another person who never rode with us and just doesn't understand. Racing on a track does little for us. Get it through your head people. Track is about techique, how hot the tires get, right pressures, and lots of unwated attitude.

Mountains, speed. On edge. A motorcycle is an adrenaline delivery device.

Bah, why do I bother typing. You guys will never get it.

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
cosworth said:
Another person who never rode with us and just doesn't understand. Racing on a track does little for us. Get it through your head people. Track is about techique, how hot the tires get, right pressures, and lots of unwated attitude.

Mountains, speed. On edge. A motorcycle is an adrenaline delivery device.

Bah, why do I bother typing. You guys will never get it.
Typing will never lead people to the promise land. You have to take them by the hand, show them the ropes and make them see.

But first, you have ot find the worthy ones.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
miraclejoe said:
But first, you have ot find the worthy ones.
You mean you have to find the stupid ones.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
CoolDaddyGroove said:
I cannot ride a GSXR1000 120km/h for longer than 5 minutes. Doing it for 20 minutes up in the mountains is the most painful experience I have had on a sportbike. More so than even crashing.
All other arguments aside, why not simply get a smaller bike that works more within the normal contexts of the street? As cool as a GSXR1000 is, it's complete overkill for the street.

There was a time when a Honda CB450 was considered a proper substantial bike. Nowadays newer riders often ride bikes that would tear a new asshole on the hottest bikes of yesterday. I seem to be in a natural decrease in size as time goes on; my next bike will prolly be a VSTROM 650 ABS.

There can be a hell of a lot of fun in having the machine match the roads.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Hey, I don't care that someone goes full tilt on the street. That's cool if that's your thing. But to then say you're "the fastest" is nothing short of preposterous. There is no "fastest" on the street.

And what's next? "Qualifying" to Squamish to see who gets the pole position for the race up to Pemberton?

BTW, there are plenty of fast guys that go fast in the corners and then slow down in the straights, "Saint" Nick being one of them since he was referred to in the initial post.

G

·
frank, the seat on the boat awaits. cooler of booze is ready. found some new spots to anchor at last week.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This is one of the most dissappointing threads I've ever come across.
I'm in my second year of riding. I don't ride fast enough to blister the paint off my bike but never change a topic that would teach me something about riding or improving technique.
How much technique IS there in speeding anyways?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
CrotchRocketeer said:
I'm pretty choked I haven't had the opportunity to ride with any of these people. I've heard good things about all of them but I've never had the time to get over the the mainland simply to ride. If any of them still own bikes we should get a ride organized for the end of August when I get back from Hong Kong. I'll be in town and would love a higher paced tour guide to show me the local roads since I've never done any riding in the lower mainland.
They are legends in thier own minds. :laughing

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Frank, I give you three years at the most. Riding motorcycles is not something that one quits; one can only take a break, until the demon finds your hidding place.

It's only been one year for me and this year I've found myself in motorcycle show rooms, not knowing how I got there.

So far, I am trying to stick to my four year "no-bike" plan. When the "detox" is over, I am planning on getting one of this bad boys:

or perhaps one of this :

and do some of this:

Wanna start planing the 2009 Alaska to Florida BCSB adventure ride?

·
track hack
2,038 Posts
Chumly said:
All other arguments aside, why not simply get a smaller bike that works more within the normal contexts of the street?

There can be a hell of a lot of fun in having the machine match the roads.
My thoughts exactly Chumly.

I'm not the fastest guy around by any means but I am quite experienced and have been known to carry a fair pace and I know that my quickest riding and greatest satisfaction to date has been from riding my old 600. I'm really thinking of either buying an already decked SV650 or buying a used one and doing it up the way I'd like.

I'm sure that if CDG were to try something similar it would prove more rewarding than holding the Gixxer in 4th and overpowering everyone else - you can't do that with 70hp at your dispersal, hence the thrill of just thrashing your middleweight/newbie bike and leaving the other "fast" riders as you put it, behind you.

I'm sure this has already been tossed around by CDG, knowing full well that won't make up for not being able to ride with "the old gang", one of my dilemas as well. Meeting up with the internet regulars has left me with a bit of a jaded attitude as well, most get more enjoymnet out of talking about their bikes, drinking coffee and smoking around their bikes, or bragging about how little they actually use their bikes.

Last week I made the mistake of doing the math on how much each ride costs me since work, new baby, vacation time out of province, etc.. has really cut into this season's riding.

Turns out that each ride including gas costs me roughly $140-$150. That's quite an expensive addiction, even a tough sell for me, let alone my wife.

Good luck in the future CDG and if you ever find yourself on the island with two wheels, JD or myself would be available to play tourguide I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/6821/thurber.html

Walter Mitty, a daydreaming comic book writer with an overprotective mother, likes to imagine himself as a hero experiencing great adventures.

His dream becomes true when he accidently meets a mysterious woman who hands him a little black book. According to her it contains the locations of the Dutch crown jewels hidden since World War II.

Soon Mitty finds himself in the middle of a confusing conspiracy and has to admit that being a hero in real life isn't that easy.

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
Sorry to see you go Frank. I think I only really rode with you once, with Brad on the Duffy a few seasons ago, it was your first time back there in a while. Spoken to you several times since then but never really rode with you again.

Guess I'll have to keep my eyes on my mirrors and watch for a chopper/cruiser pulling up hard from behind and then passing me. :laughing

There's nothing arrogant about your post BTW.

1 - 20 of 470 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.