BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, after dosing my leathers and heated gloves in Heavy Duty ScotchGard, I am happy to say that I am completely waterproof.

Even though the leathers and gloves are a bit damp on the outside, I am completely dry on the inside. :rockon

I have been riding in the rain since 4pm (on and off), with 3 hours of continuous downpour, including following a large truck with sheets of rain splashing upwards, thinking that either I am soaked on the inside and not feeling it as well as waiting for my gloves to be soaked by the end of the ride.

NADA. Completely Dry!!! :coffee

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Amazing. Simply amazing.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
you scotch guarded your leathers? I thought I was DAF...

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I don't know why you just didn't go and buy a rain suit. They're relatively cheap (around $100) and don't force you to coat the expensive leathers in some shitty product.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
I don't know why you just didn't go and buy a rain suit. They're relatively cheap (around $100) and don't force you to coat the expensive leathers in some shitty product.
more money than brains .....

Yeah, rainsuit is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did... which included waterproof mitts (took about half hour to get into gear) and ended up looking like a bear on a bike.

I also bought a full textile Alter Ego 2 that had a waterproof liner. Everything worked except that water ran down the inside of the liner into the gloves (no matter if you put the gaunlets inside or outside the cuffs).

A lot of research went into looking for the ultimate rain gear, including 3 pair of supposingly water proof gloves.

I wanted something that you can slip on regardless of the cold season weather and if it rained, I won't need to stop to put on rain gear on top.

It was a hard decision, whether or not to scotchgard my leathers, but now that it is done, I've no regrets.

It looks good, its warm and now its waterproof :coffee

·
total wanker!
146 Posts
The trouble with scotchguard, which you'll will no doubt discover in 6 months or so ... is that your leathers will now not breathe at all. Recall how hot they were before? :-()
I bought a Triumph one piece rainsuit specifically to wear with my leathers - the trouble with normal rains suits is trying to get them on ... hopping around at the side of the road. This rainsuit goes on like a vest and then has two zippers that start at the neck and go down each leg. No pulling over boots. I one stupid 2 hour ride in a monsoon - two inches of rain on the road - they did leak a tad around the crotch, but the water just hit my leathers and ended up making my boots a bit soggy. No biggie.

·
Vindicated
3,419 Posts
Ralph.. you obviously weren't paying attention another time you mentioned scotch guard and leathers..

I told you to use mink oil

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The trouble with scotchguard, which you'll will no doubt discover in 6 months or so ... is that your leathers will now not breathe at all. Recall how hot they were before? :-()
I know, I know.... but I had bought these black leathers for this particular application in mind... I will look for something for summer when the time comes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why not use the fool proof stay dry method ?

Don't purposely ride in the rain,snow,slush,hail,etc,.

You constantly post that you just got back from or you're about to go riding in a down pour, snow storm, -10C, etc, like you're trying to win some diehard award. Ever wonder, while your riding around in a monsoon, why you rarely if ever see anyone else on a bike. Well let me tell you, there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about riding in adverse weather conditions and unless necessary, is foolish to do.

With all the money you've wasted trying to stay warm and dry you could of bought a beater car and the getting wet problem would have been solved. Not to mention, you would increase your chances of finding out what it's like to ride during "riding season".

I have no idea why I chose this out of your multiple "riding in the rain on pupose" posts to rant. In reality I don't give a fuck whether you get wet or not and I'm sure many others don't either. Maybe it's that I'm sick of you posting up like we care or should and thought a reality check was in order.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Why not use the fool proof stay dry method ?

Don't purposely ride in the rain,snow,slush,hail,etc,.

You constantly post that you just got back from or you're about to go riding in a down pour, snow storm, -10C, etc, like you're trying to win some diehard award. Ever wonder, while your riding around in a monsoon, why you rarely if ever see anyone else on a bike. Well let me tell you, there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about riding in adverse weather conditions and unless necessary, is foolish to do.

With all the money you've wasted trying to stay warm and dry you could of bought a beater car and the getting wet problem would have been solved. Not to mention, you would increase your chances of finding out what it's like to ride during "riding season".

I have no idea why I chose this out of your multiple "riding in the rain on pupose" posts to rant. In reality I don't give a fuck whether you get wet or not and I'm sure many others don't either. Maybe it's that I'm sick of you posting up like we care or should and thought a reality check was in order.
Hope I meet up with you on a ride someday... Matt...

Believe it or not, there are a core group of us that doesn't mind the rain and we do look for methods to keep ourselves warm and dry. Once you are warm and dry, riding in the rain is really an exciting and vivid experience.

I post because I do believe that there are people that share my enthusiasm and trust me it is not to prove that I am a diehard. I simply enjoy the serenity that comes with rain and riding and I look forward to the dry season when I can push my limits even further.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have to admit I'm curious, why do you hope to meet up with me for a ride someday ?...Ralphael...

It probably wouldn't be "an exciting and vivid experience" for you, I don't ride in the rain (on purpose).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.