BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

I could love this: KTM 890 Duke R

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Young Lion 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Review:

I came very close to buying a 990 STM years ago, and this has the same appeal... ( the 1290 just seems toooo over-the-top for me!)

Reactions: bacchus40
#7 ·
colour me envious YL! just sounds great. seems like KTM really did hit one outa the park here...

Reactions: Young Lion
#9 ·
Hit 600km's on it today and so far my initial impression hasn't changed much. I'm still in the break in phase so gotta keep rpm below 6500 (redline is 10K) but it's still WAY fun just playing in the midrange.

If you are a fan of these type bikes (nakeds) and want something a little exclusive better call your local dealer as for this year so far there's only 20 in Canada - 11 in Western Canada, 9 back East. Next shipment is early release '21's in October.

Attachments

#11 ·
Jesus Christ! 116 hp stock? outa 890 ccs? at under 10,000 rpm? what are those guys snorting over there in Austria?
do you feel it, when the 'slope' steepens at 5000 rpm?

#12 ·
Okay, so I was really perplexed about the power on this bike - as I said in my long initial impressions post - it feels like a 990 not 890 but KTM REALLY under sold the power output on this and the new for '20 1290SD as well.

They claimed 16 more CRANK ponies (121 vs 105) - that usually equates to maybe 12-13 rear wheel hp - not 20!

790 claim was 105, at the rear wheel they usually put down 95-96.
890R claim was 121, at the rear wheel is 116+ and 70ft lbs!!!

All in a bike weighing fully fuelled right at 401lbs - it's a nutter for sure.

Wheelies can't be done in 1st as they're too violent and uncontrollable, in 2nd you better be ready with your toe on the shifter to grab 3rd. Power wheelie in 3rd gear - takes the right amount of technique but easily doable. I've only ever had modern literbikes be able to snap up the front end like that - this thing's a Hooligan for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.